Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 ZR500. Runs awesome but there are a few things that could use some work. #1- The clutch makes a rattling noise, very very faint when idling but as the throttle is pushed further it gets louder until about 6000 rpms. After that the noise stops. #2- Blue smoke from the exhaust 60% of the time when riding. #3- Speedometer doesn't work. #4- Sometimes between 5000 rpm and a little over 6000 rpm the engine lags slightly. Once its around 6000 rpm and above it doesn't lag at all. #5- Is it normal for the clutch to engage between 4000-4500 rpm? Or is this related to the previously mentioned clutch problem? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a 1998 ZR500. Runs awesome but there are a few things that could use some work. #1- The clutch makes a rattling noise, very very faint when idling but as the throttle is pushed further it gets louder until about 6000 rpms. After that the noise stops. #2- Blue smoke from the exhaust 60% of the time when riding. #3- Speedometer doesn't work. #4- Sometimes between 5000 rpm and a little over 6000 rpm the engine lags slightly. Once its around 6000 rpm and above it doesn't lag at all. #5- Is it normal for the clutch to engage between 4000-4500 rpm? Or is this related to the previously mentioned clutch problem? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!
The broken speedometer is concerning. It could mean the jack shaft bearing under the secondary clutch is shot. The blue smoke could be a simple oil adjustment but you have to confirm whether or not that jack shaft bearing is OK. start there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts