Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chassis laying around and im looking to get it powered by something. I looked into the parts for the original motor, and itd cost me ~650 to have a running rebuilt by me motor. (Not sure its worth the hassle..

I am VERY mechanically inclined, I can do wiring (with help..) and well... I need some opinions.

What I have thought of so far...

-Put in a factory motor that I build from parts..
-Plumb liquid lines, and make a sleeper.
-Dont waste my time on it and part it out.
-Figure a way to drop in a triple.

and lastly,

-Go find an old Polaris 488 and try to line that up.

I think I have most of the parts Id need to make a cooling setup.. But is it worth my time?

What do you guys think? This will be a trail sled BTW.. Itll hit some occasional powder.

2002 Z570, NO TSL skid.. it has the normal one.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Any cat engine from that era will bolt in pretty easy. Cooling lines are the biggest issue, but really shouldn't be too bad. If you're as mechanically inclined as you say, I'd look for an older front cooler out of a '90s ZR and rivet into the front of the bulkhead. Then a set of corner coolers out of an '03 or so mountain cat, modified to fit the shorter tunnel. That ought to give you enough cooling for most motors.

The older spirit 500 is a good engine, but I don't know how hard they are to find, and there aren't mounts to just bolt them right in to the chassis.

My dad has picked up at least three 570 mountain cats in the last month, for pretty much dirt cheap prices, so you may want to shop around for used parts to fix yours.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By any means anyone with leads to engines PM ME! if i find one and buy it. Ill give you a finders gift! $$$...

ANyhow... Ill look for some 500 fans and See what I come up with. I have a set of front and rear coolers from a 97 ZRT, May put them to use! But to be honest, Id be fine with any motor in it for cheap! :p

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
76 Tigre with the 500 fan... I am up to the challenge.. but talk to me a bout how that sucker would "DROP IN" with the different motor mounts? I can fab some up, just interested in how thatd work! :)

·
Premium Member
4,337 Posts
76 Tigre with the 500 fan... I am up to the challenge.. but talk to me a bout how that sucker would "DROP IN" with the different motor mounts? I can fab some up, just interested in how thatd work! :)
Pick up motor, walk over to sled, and let go :lol: I'll keep my eyes peeled for ya

Sent from somewhere in MN

Reactions: axlr8

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im gonna pull the trigger on her! :) Ill make a build thread for her hopefully! :)

Now.. run all the 500 FA stuff? carbs, clutch..., coils. exhaust?? I would prefer to NOT cut another hole in the belly pan, but if i have to...:)

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are the tapers the same??? on the crank im talkin! :) Id MUCH rather have a newer clutch than the older one...BUT...well...

Now you guys have me re enlightened on this sled. i figured I should just plain give up. BUT! I should be getting the sled out this weekend!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Picked up the sled tonight!!! Shell need some love.. and some small bits and pieces. BUt overall its clean. Looking for a fan motor still!

Ill use the newer clutches, and What carbs to run?

Would love to have someone chime in if they have done it. Not sure how I want to attack the whole making engine mounts idea.. Ill probly need the new one to figure her out completely!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
New question...

Free air, or fan? I am sure I can get some venting added to the hood, but I can get a few F/A motors at 1/4 the price of the Fanners.

I have a FEW ideas on the motor mounts now... but, ill check it out!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'd just look for another 570. You know it'll fit in and these 570 motors are bulletproof. 10,000KM on mine not even opened and its still pushing 130 psi. More than enough power for powder or trails too.

On the other hand, that 500 sure would be an interesting job... Subscribed, looking forward to the end results, good sir!

Keep it classy,
Kyle.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have yet to find a 570 engine for under 800 in running shape. I can piece together a few for around 450-500...but thats...more than I want to throw at the sled. I want to have her all done up and ready for next season..but i can buy a running sled for cheaper than id have in it if i dropped a original motor in her.

ya see??? Im thinking ill run for the free air and if it blows, well.. Im out about 200 bucks.. Whoop de doo! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Everything your doing sounds ******, but I just want to throw it out there, I have a '02 Z 570 that I have rebuilt now atleast twice with parts just laying around and am still racing her today. The Arctic Cat early 570 fan eangines are one of the fastest and easier fan cooled engines to fiddle with. It is worth it to just rebuilt the rig and just screw with the clutching and jetting for some extra power for trail riding, amd re-enforce the undercarriage.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just for you latest posters..

I bought the sled with no engine. Previous owner tells me a connecting rod went through one side of the case. And i believe him as there is a nice chunk out of one of the engine mounts. Trust me.. If it had a blown motor, Id drop 2 pistons in it, open up the ports a bit, window the piston, and shave the head. Then id block the oil pump off and advance the ignition a bit. Itd scream... Im hoping to get an engine here soon and do some fitment this spring.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.