Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first notice I had of this problem was the motor overheated and my pressure replief valve on my radiotor opened and spilled all my coolant out. So today I took a look at it and nticed all my oil leaked out from somewhere??? All around the oil filler and eye site is dry and I cant find where it might be leaking from. I am planning on going to mud nationals is a few weeks so I dont have much time to get this baby fixed! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
is there 2 rubber o rings under the filter?...some times one will stay stuck to the block and cause this

·
Administrator
40,631 Posts
What year ? What size ? Does it have an oil cooler?

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
hate to say it but if you cant find the oil leak then you probably cooked the motor.....If it got that hot to spit the coolant out its been out of oil for some time and the damage will be done, there should be a trail of oil from the leak if not your in trouble

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't know it didn't have oil so I threw some water in the radiator and ride it up my ramps in my truck and the motor acted totally normal so I don't think I fried it. And that's the weird thing I can't find a leak anywhere and no drips?

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
no drips or leaks....no coolant in the rad and insane heat... Its damaged no 2 ways around it, it might not be toast but i doubt it survived unharmed and drastically lost life.

If there were no leaks or drips how do you figure its okay?...you have no idea how long it was ran without oil, it over heated because it was out of oil thats why it ejected the coolant, have you see what a motor ran without oil does?...even when not heated to the point yours was....there is no way it leaked all out in mins and no drips or traces its been out for a while

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It had perfect oil level before I rode it for about 20 mins max. And when I rode it it did involve running through some floor board high water so it could have washed away residue possibly

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
is the drain plug in it?...i mean i dont know how else you can drain 4-5 liters of oil and overheat the engine in under 20 mins else wise

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok a little update. I found my secondary transmision cover was leaking the oil so i fixed that. now it isnt leaking any oil but still is overheating?! I noticed the fan does not kick in once the temp light starts flashing on my dash. But could the fan not turning on really caus it to overheat in less than 20 mins? Could my radiator not be working? I have no idea what it is and i have 4 days to fix it! im leaving for mud nationals friday!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also just a little more info. I just put brand new oil in it when i fixed that gasket (I thought). oil has less than 20 mins on it and is already black and smells burnt. also it still leaks a little oil. About 3 or 4 drops in about 15 mins. also my crank case vent is clogged im working on getting that opened up. any more info is greatly appreciated!

·
Administrator
40,631 Posts
Have you cleaned your rad properly?

·
Administrator
40,631 Posts
You need to remove the fan and get a garden hose in there for 30 minutes from the backside or remove it. I thought mine was clean too
Product Circle Metal

Auto part

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
if the fan isnt coming on before it over heats, the fuse, fan or temp sensor isnt working correctly

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow yeah today i cleaned it out and it was packed full of mud! Couldnt believe it. I didnt pull the fan off and hit it from the back but i did put a pressure washer in the front and i could see all the way through the fins once i was done. rode for about 20 mins and heat stayed down. fan still didnt turn on :/ going to ride it tomorrow and really put it through the paces and see if she gets hot.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
stop driving it...if the fan hasnt come on in 20 mins then there is an issues....fan will cycle before that

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My temperature light flashes but it always flashes. even when the bike is ice cold. could that temperature switch be the reason the fan is not turning on? and i have been monitoring my temperatures with a digital thermometer and when i rode it today it rose to about 130 degrees and held steady there. maybe went to 135 when i stopped but dropped to 120 when i was riding. that is the tempurature taken right off the head on the right side. I truely dont think it is overheating but clearly i would like the fan to work for those times im slow riding or idling for a long time!

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
well thats not suppose to be on unless its overheating and probably the problem.

External temp may be fine but whats inside like?....no engine with a rad and fan is made to run without....if the fan doesnt run it will over heat, you heat it enough and get ready to rebuild it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.