Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchase my first ATV. It is called a Arctic Cat TRV500 LG. 2015. I have not even driven it yet, but would like to purchase a plow for it. Any suggestions? What to stay away from? Etc.
How about a winch? What is a good one to use? Any ones to stay away from?

Secondly, what does TRV stand for?
What does LG stand for?
Thank you for any help that you can give.
Walt for Yadiwaadu

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
TRV= 2 rider vehicle, First suggestion is to read the owner's manual, especially the safety pages. Always use Low Range when plowing or driving at speeds under 8-10 mph. As far as a winch , honestly I've had better luck with the cheapo Harbor Freight ones than the Warns. Don't go overboard on the winch. I have a 5,000 lb one on my Arctic Cat Diesel and it really sucks down the battery fast. I have a Kolpin/Cycle Country 6' plow ,works good. 5' plow would probably be better for a 500. LG is only a model designation, my 700 TRV is an XT. Another suggestion would be to use Arctic Cat or Shell Rotella T6 engine oil and use a good battery if you have to replace. Fuel injected Cats won't be happy with a sub par battery. I'd try to use non ethanol gas if you can, at least don't let ethanol gas sit in the tank a long time. TRV Cats are great ATV's,

·
Administrator
38,058 Posts
If you do a lot of plowing better tires might be in order.

Reactions: Wallamatogus

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TRV= 2 rider vehicle, First suggestion is to read the owner's manual, especially the safety pages. Always use Low Range when plowing or driving at speeds under 8-10 mph. As far as a winch , honestly I've had better luck with the cheapo Harbor Freight ones than the Warns. Don't go overboard on the winch. I have a 5,000 lb one on my Arctic Cat Diesel and it really sucks down the battery fast. I have a Kolpin/Cycle Country 6' plow ,works good. 5' plow would probably be better for a 500. LG is only a model designation, my 700 TRV is an XT. Another suggestion would be to use Arctic Cat or Shell Rotella T6 engine oil and use a good battery if you have to replace. Fuel injected Cats won't be happy with a sub par battery. I'd try to use non ethanol gas if you can, at least don't let ethanol gas sit in the tank a long time. TRV Cats are great ATV's,
Thank you Wallamtogus for your input.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Don't know what tires that your Cat came with and if you only get a few inches of snow, funky tires will work, but from my experience some tires perform much better plowing deep or heavy wet snow. My driveway is 300+ yards long and in Maine we can get serious snow. I have Outlaw MST's with "grip studs" on my 700 Diesel and it plows like a brute. Stock ITP Terra Cross RT's on my 700TRV are only fair for plowing. I really notice if the plow is angled, deep or heavy snow will push the TRV sideways, whereas the Diesel will push a mountain of snow.

·
Registered
2016 Arctic Cat Alterra 550 XT
853 Posts
I would get familiar with the ATV before using a plow on it. Get to know how it works and go on some rides.
Where do you live/how much snow do you get? How much can you expect to be plowing?

Arcticfrost

1 - 7 of 7 Posts