Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Been busy rebuilding the chassis and finally got around to tearing down the Kawasaki 340 from my Panther. Was hoping to do a simple refresh with rings and gaskets, but found enough scoring on the piston and chipped chrome on the cylinder to be concerned. The upper ring on one piston was also seized in the groove on one end. So bare minimum new piston as well. The engine ran decent enough to ride, so I know its not a complete waste of time.
I am not one to just throw something back together and hope for the best, so I tore down a second 340 (supposedly running according to the PO) as well and found similar scoring. My friend (former Yamaha RD400 racer and mechanic with a fair amount of 2 stroke knowledge) who was helping me suggested that we not bother with the rings on either motor without first addressing the cylinders.
Anybody have suggestions for these jugs? Can they be sleeved? Are decent used ones worth the trouble? Does anybody replate these? I don't want to spend $500 or more just to keep the original motor in the sled.

I have a couple more options as well. I have a Kawi 440 of unknown condition tucked away as well, but I'm not holding out much hope for it at this point. I will tear it down tonight and see where that one lies.

I also have a known good running Suzuki Spirit 440 from an '80 Panther, but wanted to avoid having to fabricate a new motor mount and exhaust. Maybe a mount from an earlier Spirit series ('76-'79?) Panther would work? I like the idea of the parts availability and reliablility of the Suzuki plants as well.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks Cheetah,
So your thinking is that I just have crap luck and have two of the same motors with hefty scoring? I just saw a set of jugs on eBay that are supposedly in good shape, but I guess I'm a bit leary of anything other than sleeved or new after seeing mine.
I will look around more for good used ones.

·
Registered
435 Posts
gettin harder and harder to find good jugs for these old motors. There is a site advertised here, called Millennium technologies. they rebuild and replate jugs. I had a set done, basicaly by them, here in canada, and I am happy with the work. It could be a littl pricey, but when you can't find a set of decent jugs, you don't have alot of choices left.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have a cpmplete NOS rebuid kit for the Kawi F/C. They are 399 parts. Cylinders,pistons,rings,pin and bearings and Winderosa gasket set.350.oo plus S&H. Doug Drop me an E-Mail for more info.The carb adapters are NOT included.$40.oo for those.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That IS a great deal.

The good news is that I was able to tear down the Kawi 440 (which looked so beat on the outside compared to the two 340s that I didn't even think I'd look at it) and found that the jugs actually look pretty decent. One piston had been replaced at some point, but looks good otherwise.
Just ordered rings and a gasket kit for it. Looks like I will be sporting the 440 afterall.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Not a problem. Glad you found the parts to keep the old Cat going.Hate to see them sitting around getting RUSTY. In case someone else is interested in the parts I will throw in an NOS aluminum center seal and an NOS muffler for the 340,399,440 as well,plus the carb adapters for $400.oo plus S&H. for everything.I will say there is 3 NOS cylinders.One set and a spare.Contact me if interested. Thanks. Doug P.S. Would consider splitting the parts up. Just to let you's know the carb adapters are sold. Thanks Craig

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was just pawing through the Winderosa gasket set that I got and noticed that there are no center seal gaskets. My 440 has the split two-piece center seal with two thin rubber seals running around the outside. Are these supposed to be cut/split or solid like an o-ring? Mine are cut and don't quite touch end to end. Should I just reuse these with a dab of sealant to rejoin them? There are also grooves on the inside diameter of the seal with nothing in them.
I will try to post a picture later.

Any hints?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts