Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:sos: I have 02 ZR 800 I ask my dealer about the piston hitting the APV valve. He said he never heard of that before. He said that the valve should not be able to go into the piston. What do you guys think. Has any
one had this problem bang your head

·
Registered
123 Posts
I need to state my opinion about these shims.....I have a 2002 zr 800 with 3200 miles and I never had a problem, plus you APV'S are adjustable. I also had a friend that had a 02 with 5700 miles and no problem. Its funny arctic cat themselves would produce a motor and not make a recall like the 01's had. I believe the 01's were the problem with the APV'S and that is why they recalled for piston replacement......Do you more research on this, before putting a shim in.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have heard of numerous guys with problems on valves hitting the pistons on 800's and 900's as well as the 500's. For the $10 or $15 dollars they cost I think it is cheap insurance. I got mine for $10 from magic568 on HCS for $10. Easy install and cheap insurance in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aczr800141hp @ Jan 10 2007, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I need to state my opinion about these shims.....I have a 2002 zr 800 with 3200 miles and I never had a problem, plus you APV'S are adjustable. I also had a friend that had a 02 with 5700 miles and no problem. Its funny arctic cat themselves would produce a motor and not make a recall like the 01's had. I believe the 01's were the problem with the APV'S and that is why they recalled for piston replacement......Do you more research on this, before putting a shim in.[/b]

You many never realize you have the problem until you lose a piston.
Just as a precaution, pull out an APV or remove your y-pipe in check your pistons for virtical lines running from the crown down onto the skirt. My mag side piston was more effected. If you see lines (barely detectable with your fingernail but visible) then check the leading edge of the APV and I'll bet you see a couple spots wear it's carbon is polished off.
Adjusting the cables does nothing to remedy this situation. Only shimming under the bridge will move the whole assembly away from the piston and solve the problem. Cable adjustment remains at stock spec.

My sled has ~4600 miles when we discovered the contact. I had noticed an increase in right handlebar vibration while cruising in the 5500 rpm range. After installing my homemade shims the vib's are gone and somehow the sled feels slightly stronger. Perhaps because the valves are always open that .020". In any event, mileage is not effected and the sled feels like new. Not bad for $20.00 and two hours invested.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aczr800141hp @ Jan 10 2007, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I need to state my opinion about these shims.....I have a 2002 zr 800 with 3200 miles and I never had a problem, plus you APV'S are adjustable.

Adjustment has nothing to do with them hitting or not. You may not be aware that yours have already started to touch........best to pull your pipe and check.

I also had a friend that had a 02 with 5700 miles and no problem.

I discovered the problem / came up with the shim fix when replacing pistons on my then 8500+ mile '02ZR800. Some touch early while others don't till they rack up higher mileage, got a few ideas why but nothing I can back up.

Its funny arctic cat themselves would produce a motor and not make a recall like the 01's had. I believe the 01's were the problem with the APV'S and that is why they recalled for piston replacement......

Piston replacement on the 01 800's was for a weak piston skirt issue, nothing to do with valves. As for AC not putting out an official recall.........SHAME ON THEM!! Dealers are replacing engine parts left right and center on the customers dime when it should have been AC footing the bill all along. It should have also been them researching / coming up with a fix instead of a sledder like myself in his garage.

Do you more research on this, before putting a shim in.[/b]
[/b]

Good advice..................but only if you take it yourself. I've received countless emails / pm's from 800/900 riders thanking me, expecially those that did not believe but decided to take a peak anyways and found theirs had indeed started touching.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
As I've stated before on other posts, I've got 10,000 miles on my 03 800 and the valves never touched. However, after reading about the valve issue, I checked the pistons and valves for contact (none), and then installed a set of shims from Fastzilla. (they are beauties). Better safe than sorry, especially for $15. :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
199 Posts
I got Em!! :thumbsup: Actually took some shake out of the handlebars @ idle. Cheap piece of mind plus a good reason to clean your valves, make sure you get new gaskets!! :nosnow:

·
Registered
451 Posts
This is not a cat but I just rode with someone that left his 01 Polaris 700 at home because he noticed the vavles were hitting the pistons slightly. He took his wifes 01 600 instead. Beside the issue he had with a torn bellow on the valve later in the day he heard a loud clunk and sure enough one of the vavles had broke a chunk off the top of his piston ending his ride for the weekend.

Of course his dealer (one of the largest in the state of WI) had never heard of vavles hitting pistons on cats or Polaris.

For the record I have them on my 800 twin, not sure these damn vavles are worth it sometimes.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (johnny9mile @ Jan 16 2007, 10:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I got Em!! :thumbsup: Actually took some shake out of the handlebars @ idle. Cheap piece of mind plus a good reason to clean your valves, make sure you get new gaskets!! :nosnow:[/b]

A few folks have reported decreased handlebar vibration after installing them...........agree on being cheap peace of mind.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I lost one piston last year on my 2003 zl 800 too vavles hitting,it sagged the rings closed and the other piston had marks on then too, if I still pistons, I'll post pictures.Sled had 7600 miles,my 2004 zr 900 has 5700 miles and the pistons are good.I made shims for both.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts