Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 400i manualwith modded muffler, modded air box, carb slide mod k&N filter brand new, and a dynojet kit.

The kit calls for the dj38, but my plug shows white so I jumped up to the dj40. The problem is when it is sitting there idleing it hickups. Also When I was doing my plug check I would be running wide open shut her down and cost to a stop. When I would stop it would backfire. Any suggestions?????? Im about ready to pull my last bit of hair out

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I don't know if it would matter or not, but with the Speedwerx exhaust that I have they put a bigger pilot jet in there. it goes from a size 40 to a 55 on my H1. I'm no carb guru, but I wonder if by modding the muffler you may need to increase the pilot size? Just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
226 Posts
What does a plug chop at idle show? If white, turn the pilot screw out(i think it is out to richen it..i may be wrong) to richen it up a bit. If you get past 4 turns and it is still white then get a larger pilot jet.

Backfire on decelleration is a sign of a lean condition or a VERY rich condition. You have a white plug at WOT...so keep putting in a larger main until the plug is the appropriate color. Also, you may need to do a few mid range plug chops to see if your needle is set at the right positition.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will work with it more tonight. My local dealer here gave me the wrong plug yesterday it was a 7 instead of the 6 I will re-run it with the right new plug and see what happens. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I had the same problem on my 02 400 with the hiccups.. I ended up going from a 38stock to a 42 pilot jet that cured the problem. Your backfire is probly from it running lean. The dynojet chart is just a reference to get you close you will have to get it right on with the plug chop as each bike will be different. Also make sure you are up to operating temp each time you do the plug chop. On mine I had a 2" snorkle, muffler mod, and k&n and I was running a 142 main needle on 4th notch and 42 pilot.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where do I get the 42 pilot?

Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jman @ Feb 26 2007, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Where do I get the 42 pilot?

Thanks
Jason[/b]
Check with your dealer or any other motorcycle/atv parts and accessory shops and if they dont have one in stock they should be able to order one up for you thumbguy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.