Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, So I was cleaning the Power valves on my friends zr440 Sno-Pro. Well stupid me put one side in wrong. I slowy went to turn the motor over and the piston hit the valve. Anyway, I noticed what I did wrong, and also noticed I put a small scuff at two points on the piston. Wanting to do the job right, I decided to pull the cylinder (clutch side) to inspect the piston better, and either buff it up, or get a new one.
Anyway, being tired and in a hurry, I forgot to drain the antifeeze before I pulled it apart. needless to say I filled the block with antifreeze. I sucked most of the antifreeze out, then tipped the sled on it's side and got as much I could out, then, with my friend was panicing when he was here that the lower end had to be taken apart now, I filled the block with APV oil, which I plan to suck out also.
That's where I am at right now. I think I should be fine, but I have never done this before. I was hoping for some of your opinions. :)
Dave

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Happen to find some other posts on this. Seems that if I suck it mostly all out I should be ok. My friend can't afford to blow this motor, and I have not the time or experience to pull the whole thing out and a part.
Does this sound ok to you all? Suck the oil I put in out and be done with it?

·
Registered
238 Posts
should be fine, alittle antifreeze in the crank wont hurt anything as long as you dont let it sit in there for to long,spray the crank and stuff down with some fogging oil or something along those lines and it will be fine, soon as it's fired up it will burn the antifreeze off, done this lots of times with my dirt bike and sleds over the years, where do you think the snow goes when/if you happen to injest snow dust. :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much for your reply. I feel much better now. I am going to take the piston to some local shops to look at. I think it should be fine. I think I will need new gaskets because I assume you can not reuse them. Do you happen to know what the torque should be on the cylinder bolts?
Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I will second that. A short time with coolant in the lower end won't hurt a thing.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I did the same thing on my ZR 800 and just cleaned it out good with a shop vac, and then coated everything with the same oil I used in my oil injection tank (AMS INTERCEPTOR). If you have not used it, a shop vac works great to clean out the coolant. Next time you pull a motor down, use this to evacuate the system. It works awesome!

Yes, I would use new gaskets. They are well worth the little they cost to be sure you have a good tight motor.

If you need a new piston, be sure to put the small dot on the top of the piston to the exhaust port side and also be sure the rings are on the pistons with the end gap over the small pins in the ring groves. (You should check the ring end gap when installing new rings especially if you are not using CAT parts). If this was me, and it did need a new piston, I would rebuild both cylinders. If you elect NOT to rebuild both cylinders, be sure to use the same brand piston that is in the remaining cylinder so they heat up at the same rate. If you do rebuild one or both of the cylinders, the cylinder walls need to be honed (ball hone only) or deglazed. After honing or deglazing, wash them with warm soap and water to remove all honing dust and then coat with oil.

When you are putting the sled back together, coat the pistons, pins, bearings, and cylinder walls good with a thin coat of oil. I would use the same oil used in your injection tank. After you have the cylinders installed over the pistons, pull the engine over and when the pistons are at the top, wipe off excess oil. Install the head and the rest of the items and you are set to go.

For sure get you hand on a service manual for that sled or maybe someone here that has one on CD that could PM you the pages you need. The ring gap, torque specs and order of what bolts to tighten first are all in there and important. I do not have this for the 440 or I would help out here too.

One more thing, when you refill the coolant, lift the front of the sled about 20". This will help get the coolant to flow into the rear heat exchangers and purge the air. When you start up the sled, keep feeling under the tunnel to be sure they warm up with the engine and keep your eyes on the bottle. The odds are, you will need to add some after the engine runs for the first time. Also, keep you eyes on this on your first ride.

That hits the high point of your job at hand. Hope it is a help. Take your time and it will be a rewarding start up when you hear that CAT roar again! :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, thank you for all the help. Fasterthebetter, I really appreciate your response. When I got the gaskets today the dealer told me about the ring position. I had no idea. I got the torque specs, but as to the order of the bolts I do not know. I did not remove the head. I'm sure I can find out if there is a certain order for the cylinder bolts.
Again, I really appriciate all your guy's help. Thank you so much. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts