Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping someone might be able to help me with a vin problem. I have an Arctic Cat 4 wheeler that I'm trying to repair. I believe it's a 2001 but I don't know anything about the model or anything else and I need to get some parts and make some repairs to it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The vin number is:
4UF01AT831T338960
Thanks in advance!!! 馃憤

Registered
You are correct it is a 2001 (4UF 01 AT (should have a V i think to be a 17 digit vin), the company that used to do free VIN decoding is no longer around. Post a pic or 2 of the machine, engine etc. the 400s the oil filter is mounted left side forward facing. the 500s i believe is mounted right hand side facing almost upwards. the 250s and 300s I don't BELIEVE had 4wd but i may be wrong, is it a solid rear axle or independant? manual or auto? all of these info can help with IDing your machine.

A couple of pictures can help us also.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
You are correct it is a 2001 (4UF 01 AT (should have a V i think to be a 17 digit vin), the company that used to do free VIN decoding is no longer around. Post a pic or 2 of the machine, engine etc. the 400s the oil filter is mounted left side forward facing. the 500s i believe is mounted right hand side facing almost upwards. the 250s and 300s I don't BELIEVE had 4wd but i may be wrong, is it a solid rear axle or independant? manual or auto? all of these info can help with IDing your machine.

I'll get pics posted as soon as I can. Thanks a bunch!!! 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter #5

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
The 1st pic is of the vin. It is 17 digits as I posted it. Don't know about a V....
From your description I guess it is a 500 as the oil filter is on the right side and almost vertical. I still don't know what model it's considered though as far as searching for parts... 2001 Arctic Cat 500 4x4 4 wheeler...
Does Arctic Cat use model names?
Thanks again 馃憤

Registered
is that lever on the right hand side 4wd/2wd?

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Forward and reverse
There's another level on the left side down low and it has like a chrome track to slide forward and back in. Like a grove in a crescent shaped plate in chrome color with a handle to move it backwards and down or forward and up... If that helps at all

Registered
I'm fairly certain that is a 2001 500CC 4x4,

the 2001 400 CC appears to have been oil cooled not water cooled, and have an internal filter and faceplate like a honda for the oil filter, the 500cc was water cooled and had an external automotive style filter upwards facing on right hand side of engine, the large coolant lines and radiator with an overflow bottle should be there if it is indeed a 500 CC, but if you go to countrycat.com and look up the 2001 500CC oil filter assembly vs the 2001 400CC oil pump assembly you'll see the dramatic difference I'm talking about.

Good Luck on your repairs

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
I'm fairly certain that is a 2001 500CC 4x4,

the 2001 400 CC appears to have been oil cooled not water cooled, and have an internal filter and faceplate like a honda for the oil filter, the 500cc was water cooled and had an external automotive style filter upwards facing on right hand side of engine, the large coolant lines and radiator with an overflow bottle should be there if it is indeed a 500 CC, but if you go to countrycat.com and look up the 2001 500CC oil filter assembly vs the 2001 400CC oil pump assembly you'll see the dramatic difference I'm talking about.

Good Luck on your repairs
Ok I'll check it out. Thanks a bunch for all your help!!! Hope 2021 is a great year for you!!! 馃憤

Registered
EDIT: It may be a 400, the 400 Auto and the 400 Manual had different filter assemblys, check out the side of the cylinder for a stamp, there should be one someplace on the cylinder typically denoting size.

EDIT: I stand by my suggestion of it being a 500 by referencing Carburetor Diagrams, Assuming it is the factory carb the 01 400 manual and 01 500 manual and fairly distinct carburetor differences visible from the outside.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
EDIT: It may be a 400, the 400 Auto and the 400 Manual had different filter assemblys, check out the side of the cylinder for a stamp, there should be one someplace on the cylinder typically denoting size.
I see it is stamped Suzuki followed by OBSB
if that means anything?

Registered
I see it is stamped Suzuki followed by OBSB
if that means anything?
the OBSB doesn't mean much to me, there would normally be a stampl "376cm3" or "49_cm3" on the side of the cylinder if zuki stamped it. Review my above comment regarding the carburetor

Registered

you will see on the left hand side of the 400 carb there is a cover plate and the primer is a plunger type, the 500 carb the primer moves up and down, and the side of the carb has no cover-plate

Registered
It's a 500. I'm pretty sure the 400 motors were aluminum coloured and the 500's were black. The 375 Auto and the 400 manuals were also water cooled up to and including 2002.

Reactions: Farrix

Registered
2002 400i 4x4 FIS-12 w/26" Gators
Ok. My 2002 400i Manual 4x4 FIS has an identical water-cooled engine in bare aluminum without the Suzuki embossing nor OBSB etching but shares the 3400ml embossing next to the oil dipstick. My 400cc engine (determined by the specifications sticker attached to the frame above the front left tire) shares the hideously expensive Kehin CVK-34 carburetor with the 500 - just with different jets according to the service manual.
It is posted somewhere else on this forum as well, but for what it's worth here is a manual VIN decoder:

Your VIN: 4UF01AT831T338960 decodes as (according to SAE CFR):
  • The first character is the country code. 1 & 4 is the USA.
  • The second and third characters are the manufacturer. UF is code for Arctic Cat.
  • The fourth through eighth characters typically represent the engine size, engine type, and model. Manufacturers are free to designate any coding scheme for these five positions, but your 01AT8 may be a simplified version of Arctic Cat's coding system for Year (2001) | Model (ATV) | Engine Size (8=400cc)
  • The ninth digit is an accuracy check digit confirming previous characters as manufacturer-authorized. Yours is 3 (The only coding method that makes sense so far is: 0+1+A [letter 1]+T [letter 20]+8=30, 3+0=3.)
  • The 10th digit is a year code. 1 stands for 2001
  • The 11th is a factory code. T stands for Thief River Falls, MN, Arctic Cat's home factory.
  • The 12th to 17th characters represent the serial number.
The bigger problem we face is that the parts houses (Babbit's and CountryCat) have a model coding scheme that I have had problems deciphering:
For instance, your 2001 400 4x4 Manual Solid Axle in green should be listed as A2001ATI4AUSG to the parts guys, but how do we know? The beginning and ending of this system is pretty self-explanatory, but the 5th, 6th, and 7th characters can be somewhat befuddling.
The first five are Vehicle Type and Year: A = ATV (S = Snowmobile), 2001 = Year... duh!
The 5th & 6th characters appear to be the suspension type: AT = Solid Axle, IS = Fully Independent Suspension (FIS not available until 2002 on).
The 7th character is the engine size code: B = 90cc, E = 250cc, F = 300cc, G = 375cc, I = 400cc, M = 500cc.
The 8th position is the drive system: 2 = 2x4, 4 = 4x4.
The 9th character is Transmission type: A = Manual, B = Automatic.
The US means it was manufactured in the USA, and the 12th character is the color code: R = Red, G = Green.
The worst part is that those three middle characters aren't referenced anywhere on the bike, nor in any manuals I've seen thus far. It is only through the process of elimination that I think I've figured it out.

Anyway, I hope this rather lengthy post helps you and any others decipher VINs and Parts-House model codes. If I'm inaccurate in any of my suppositions above, please feel free to correct me, but I'm pretty sure I'm close to spot-on. Good luck with getting your scooter trail-ready!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts