Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 panther 440 fan with 3200 miles on it.

I have two problems....

1) When it is very cold out, below around 15 degrees, it will not start. Sometimes i can get it running for a few seconds, then it will stop. if I come back 15 minutes later, it will run again for a few seconds on full choke, then will not start. If i put a blow dryer under the hood for a couple minutes, it starts up and goes good. Seems like there is water somewhere that is freezing, I think its in the fuel pump block thing? I have put drygas in it but this doesn't seem to have helped...

Problem 2) At lower rpms when i get on the gas, it bogs. you can here little pops, then once it gets in mid to high rpms it runs great with good power. i have tried regular and premium gas, same thing happens....

Any advise on either of these two problems would be great!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I am very familiar with this little leaf blower. Its a great little motor. Is the carb clean? In other words have you taken the carb off and taken inside and dismantled and cleaned it. Sounds like it may have some of the green varnish built up in it.

Carb cleaner will work to clean this out. Check your choke cable tension to make sure you are lifting the choke pluger and uncovering the start circuit in the carb (this circuit allows some raw fuel into the case and cyclinders to start the engine).

You are running on your main jet at 3/4 to full throttle so it sounds like a dirty idle and choke circuits.

If your carb is clean then you may want to check the tension in the carb cable for proper adjustment. There is a saftey switch built into your throttle block and if you dont have the proper tension on the carb it will behave as you described.

Premium fuel will make very little differance in this motor so dont waste your money. This is as close to a pull and go motor as your gonna get and it gets great fuel economy.

To check your fuel pump simply look at your fuel line. Is it full. It should remain full at all times.

To test your choke, pull the choke cable to the full open position and pull. You should not have to pull no more than three or four times. If it does not fire pull the plugs. Look at the plugs, if they are dry you are not getting any fuel into the motor.

To check, drop some raw fuel into the cyclinders and reinstall the plugs and pull the cord. If it starts then you know your choke circuit is not working properly and either your choke cable needs to be adjusted or the circuit is dirty and needs to be cleaned.

Let me know what you find.

Ben

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took the carb apart and cleaned it. i also drained the fuel lines and took apart the fuel pump to make sure there were no holes in the
diaphram. this morning it started right up third pull and it was 5 degrees out. it also is not bogging at low rpms like it was before. seems to be fixed, but i will wait to see if it starts up the next time it is -10 degrees out.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thats a good start (no pun intended). This engine should start on the 3rd or 4th pull. If it does not stop pulling!!!!

Pull the plugs and have a look. If they are wet your flooded, if they are dry, drop a little raw fuel in each cyclinder, screw in the spark plugs and pull.

If it starts and runs this way, you know you have a choke issue.

Hope this helps.

Ben

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ben, you are the best!

This guy knows what he is talking about!

I would have suggested the same things......of course that is easy to say now that you have already said it!

Double check that your air screw is properly set as well as your idle screws when you put your carbs back together. The low end bog sounds like it is not getting enough air instantly, and then it catches up and runs strong on high end.

Bruce

1 - 6 of 6 Posts