Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So we bought this snowmobile and cant find a vin on it, can any one tell me a year and maybe model it is? also where are all the places the vin is located. it has old tags on it could I look the vin up some how with those?
Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Ooof.... looks like a mutt. 2001ish Mountain Cat? The hood, belly, tunnel and skid would indicate a Mountain Cat. I'd start there. Does it have an engine? Whats the serial # on the engine? 500, 600, 700? Based on the tunnel color mismatch, I'd day the original tunnel was black. A boss seat.... Cobbed together reat bumper..... Your best bet is to go to the DNR or local Sheriff's office and have them run that old license tag to see how it was previously registered. My guess is a Mountain Cat.

·
Administrator
2,727 Posts
Its a cobbled together pile of parts..
The tunnel and bulkhead are from different sleds.
The only vin that matters would be on the goverment issued proof of ownership he gave you when you bought it.

·
Registered
2005 Z570, 2006 Panther 570
169 Posts
To my knowledge only the SnoPro 440s had the straps riveted to the left/right belly pans. The hood doesn't have anything to accept the straps so those obviously don't match one-another. Post a photo of the numbers engraved on the side of the tunnel, opposite from the side we see in the photos

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
That tipped up tunnel, skid profile, and length are indicative of a Mountain Cat- but as previously stated, that's not the original tunnel. It certainly could be a Sno Pro 440 front end, but the skis and shocks don't match a Sno Pro 440...... I guess back to the original question. What engine is in it if any? What's the serial # on the engine? And what's the VIN on the tunnel?
@ak32

·
Administrator
8,078 Posts
No gauges and a grenade decal on the hood would tell me to walk away from this "project sled". There will be a stamped in VIN on the right side, below the gas tank, near the right foot well. That will tell you what year the tunnel is, probably wont help with the rest of the sled though. The main frame does not have anything stamped into it, just the tunnel. Open the hood and post more pictures. Hope ya didn't pay too much for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts