Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I need some help.

Sled is a 99 zr 600 carb

My bearing on the jack shaft/drive shaft blew out last weekend(the one on the gear side). I ordered new bearings and a new chain and a few other little things to fix my sled. I'm at a point where im lost though from looking at diagrams etc. I did get some pics on the things I have questions on though, here is the first.

Here Im wondering about a seal, I put a rubber o ring seal over that bearing behind that triangle plate, Thats what looks right from the spec drawings and seems to fit ok. Is that right though? Also with that bearing I got a black little rubber piece(next pic bleow) It has a beloved edge and came in the package with that bearing. Its not on the diagram sheet and doens't really seem to fit anywhere, here is a pic

just wondering what that is and if i need it. didn't see it when i took it apart but that side was blown out.

My other problem is stupid of me but when i took my secondary clutch off I'm not sure how these washers went, the diagram looks different so im wondering if a previous owner just through them on there for spacers or what not.

I know the big washer by the bolt head goes on the outside of the secondary clutch but would those little ones go on the inside or outside? If i put all 3 on the outside the big on won't even touch the clutch itself to put any pressure on it.

Also do you have to replace the sprockets and the inside tensioner if you put a new chain on? I didn't order any and would like to get this sled back together, I basically need it going to go up north next weekend so if it does matter would i be ok just running it for the weekend on the old sprockets?(as far as i can tell they are ok yet)

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,379 Posts
the washer are for clutch alingment
you need a alingment tool to do it per spec
1st grease inside of the 2ndry clutch where it rides on the shaft
in a pinch
put the bolt in with the washers on it the large washer under the bolt head
the rest under that
tighten it up
u need clutch float
the clutch should slide on the shaft sided to side a little 1/8 inch?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thanks for the replies, I don't have a clutch alignment tool, but since i took it off and it was just those few parts I was hoping to just put it back on and have it be the same.(not sure if that's how it works though)

Any ideas about the chain case side and that other rubber piece?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also is there a site with torque specs for the bolts? Need to know the torque spec for the clutch bolt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys I need some help.

Sled is a 99 zr 600 carb

My bearing on the jack shaft/drive shaft blew out last weekend(the one on the gear side). I ordered new bearings and a new chain and a few other little things to fix my sled. I'm at a point where im lost though from looking at diagrams etc. I did get some pics on the things I have questions on though, here is the first.

Here Im wondering about a seal, I put a rubber o ring seal over that bearing behind that triangle plate, Thats what looks right from the spec drawings and seems to fit ok. Is that right though? Also with that bearing I got a black little rubber piece(next pic bleow) It has a beloved edge and came in the package with that bearing. Its not on the diagram sheet and doens't really seem to fit anywhere, here is a pic

just wondering what that is and if i need it. didn't see it when i took it apart but that side was blown out.

My other problem is stupid of me but when i took my secondary clutch off I'm not sure how these washers went, the diagram looks different so im wondering if a previous owner just through them on there for spacers or what not.

I know the big washer by the bolt head goes on the outside of the secondary clutch but would those little ones go on the inside or outside? If i put all 3 on the outside the big on won't even touch the clutch itself to put any pressure on it.

Also do you have to replace the sprockets and the inside tensioner if you put a new chain on? I didn't order any and would like to get this sled back together, I basically need it going to go up north next weekend so if it does matter would i be ok just running it for the weekend on the old sprockets?(as far as i can tell they are ok yet)

Any help would be appreciated.
Did you check the lower bearing? does it have a groove on the inner sleeve that the o-ring fits in?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
For the clutch....put the clutch on with the bolt and the big washer but don't tighten it all the way down. Leave about 1/2 to 3/4" on play. Put the belt on. Lift the back end and run the sled. Don't go crazy. Just get the clutch end engage and spin the track. The clutches will centre themselves. Mark or make not of where the clutch is on the shaft and put the necessary washers front and back to get it there. Like auburn said you want about 1/8" of free play so it can float on the shaft.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you check the lower bearing? does it have a groove on the inner sleeve that the o-ring fits in?

Which lower bearing? the one behind the triangle flange in picture 1 there? that bearing is new, and I had a black rubber o ring that was about the size of that bearing that i put on between the bearing and that triangle plate which is the seal i assume, if i did that right. Other than that the bearing is just right to shaft. basically im asking in pic 1 am I good to go and put the gears on there? Do you recognize that rubber piece from pic 2?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For the clutch....put the clutch on with the bolt and the big washer but don't tighten it all the way down. Leave about 1/2 to 3/4" on play. Put the belt on. Lift the back end and run the sled. Don't go crazy. Just get the clutch end engage and spin the track. The clutches will centre themselves. Mark or make not of where the clutch is on the shaft and put the necessary washers front and back to get it there. Like auburn said you want about 1/8" of free play so it can float on the shaft.

ok thanks, ill do that soon as i get the other part figured out now lol that gear side and that black rubber piece is what im still wondering about.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
On that lower bearing there should have been an o ring on the inside of the race of the bearing, not the one in the picture your wondering about, a little silicone on the shaft before you slide bearing on and you should be good to go. That other rubber, I never found use for it in one of the kits I have used in the past, perhaps for another brand use or such.

·
Registered
7 Posts
On that lower bearing there should have been an o ring on the inside of the race of the bearing, not the one in the picture your wondering about, a little silicone on the shaft before you slide bearing on and you should be good to go. That other rubber, I never found use for it in one of the kits I have used in the past, perhaps for another brand use or such.
Thats the o-ring I was refering to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I think i got it, there was a little rubber seal inside the bearing where it goes over the shaft, then i put the other rubber o ring(seal) between the bearing and the triangle piece, number 11 in this diagram -

1999 Arctic Cat ZR 600 (99Z6A) DRIVE/DROPCASE ASSEMBLY | Babbitts Arctic Cat Parts House

I think its all on there correctly then, ill go ahead and put it back together probably tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I think i got it, there was a little rubber seal inside the bearing where it goes over the shaft, then i put the other rubber o ring(seal) between the bearing and the triangle piece, number 11 in this diagram -

1999 Arctic Cat ZR 600 (99Z6A) DRIVE/DROPCASE ASSEMBLY | Babbitts Arctic Cat Parts House

I think its all on there correctly then, ill go ahead and put it back together probably tomorrow.
Yep your good. Use some silicone on the shaft and on the bigger o ring, added insurance for no leak.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep your good. Use some silicone on the shaft and on the bigger o ring, added insurance for no leak.

ok sounds good thanks for the help i was really confused since that other rubber piece was with the bearing but yeah looking at the top bearing there and where the gear slides on it looks the same as the bottom so i was kinda thinking it was for something else and not used on this sled.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
ok sounds good thanks for the help i was really confused since that other rubber piece was with the bearing but yeah looking at the top bearing there and where the gear slides on it looks the same as the bottom so i was kinda thinking it was for something else and not used on this sled.
All good man, pay it ahead, thats the motto here. Never done learning!Cat happy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts