Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to purchase an 04 F7 EXT EFI at a pretty good price, but I'm relatively unfamiliar with A/Cs. Just wondering if some of you could give me your thoughts on the sled. It has some performance mods (reeds, can) as well as risers, etc and seems to be in great shape with low miles. I do about 50/50 trail/mountain riding and want to make sure this is a good sled for what I will be using it for. The 144 track sounds good, but I'm curious as to your opinions on the 1.25 lugs...how does it do in deep snow? Sounds like a beast on the trails... Any other thoughts or impressions are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
283 Posts
First off, let me be the first to say welcome call . Secondly, I have put on approx 700 miles on the same sled you are looking at having purchased it this fall. I had heard all the discussions about pushing in the corners and loss of performance cause of more weight with the long track but to tell you the truth I love the sled. I have not experienced any problems with pushing through turns, the long track works well in the deep stuff and there is plenty of power. You may not win the race but you will never be left far behind nor will anyone lose you crossing the lake. My sled is stock and I cant tell you how impressed I am with all aspects of this sled. Pulls hard up to max speed/rpm 104/7800, handles the rough stuff well, does everything I want a sled to do, including aesthetics. I love the look of the firecat. I dabble with the thoughts of modding it up, and from the discussions here clutching is a big plus, cans are an easy one if you like the sound and the reeds I am sure cant hurt. At this point, cant bring myself to do anything to an already well set-up sled. I am an aggressive rider, I like speed and jumping and some off trail riding. Havent done much back country/mountain riding so cant offer much along those lines. I will say that I am not confident that the 13.5 x 1.25 is gonna do it for ya especially when it comes to the style of riding you mention. You can add a deeper lug to improve that situation but I would say the firecat ext is as categorized a performance/trail machine. Dont know if it will cut it put up against mountain sleds, but I would definitely consider picking it up if it is as you mention low miles and a good deal.

Good luck with your decision, and I am sure there will be other posts that will help. This site is full of friendly people with lots of info. :beer_cheers:

PJ

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the feedback. Sounds like it might be a pretty good sled for me...I'm currently wondering how it will stack up with my current sled, a 2002 Summit 700 (which my wife will be riding). I realize they are two different machines with different purposes, but as far as performance and quality, do you guys think I'd be happy with it? The sled has a BOSS seat, risers, fly bars, V Force reeds, and a can (not sure which one). Do you think it will be pretty quick? Anything else you'd recommend adding to enhance it...clutch, skis, etc?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Dont know if you have checked it already but have a look at this string:

F7 144" EXT - Trail & Powder Impressions, Looking for feedback from riders on this sled for trails/ditches as we

It has more info related to your post.

:beer_cheers:

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had that same sled and was pretty happy with it. I felt it was a more comfortable ride than my buddies sno pro. I think the longer track helped. I did take mine out to wyoming one year and wasn't real satisfied with it. It was ok but if you got into deep snow it had a tendency to trench. Snow conditions were warm and wet though, so maybe it would be better in powder. As far as pushing through the turns, it will if you keep the stock carbides on. I put 8" bergstroms on and it turned on rails, also set up with 2 picks per paddle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought a new 2004 F6 EXT carry-over in December. I've only put about 200 miles on it. Its the best riding sled I've ever had. I came over from a 600 mtn.cat. I must have got lucky. It doesn't push in the turns and it absorbs the trail bumps as good or better than anything I've ridden. I'm not a high marker but the times I've been off trail its done fine. I don't think it will do what the mtn. sleds will do but watching the guys that ride the rough stuff, I think its more rider performance than machine. My opinion : Great sled, more than enough power and the narrow tunnel is great for old hips. I've got to find another one before my wife puts the dibs on this one !!

·
Registered
224 Posts
It deffinately is no beast on the trails... get ride of the stock ski skags and replace with 6" or 8" standard skags and it handles as good as any 128" firecat. It may push alittle more than a 128" due to the 144" but the trade off is better hook up and way better in the deeper stuff. I absolutley love mine and I would'nt go back to a short track trail sled ever. Longer is better. I have found no loss in exceleration or top end when compared to the other Firecats I ride with. My brother has a very well set up (stock) '05 F7 efi 128" and it is faster but not a whole lot. Mine rips and I would'nt trade for a 128" any day.

Scotty

·
Registered
224 Posts
One more thing... the longer 144" track helps bridge the stutter bumps on the trail and is much more comfortable to ride all day. Do not think that the longer track is a "negative" on the sled... it is ONLY a positive in every regard, at least on a Firecat, You'll love it, at least I think so. Remember it is narrower (13.5") than the compitions offerings, so it is more trail friendly with all the benifits of a long track!, but lighter, easier to turn and more efficient at top end (than a 144" 15" wide track).

Scotty

1 - 8 of 8 Posts