Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be running a fan class oval racer. 0-500cc. I have a Jag Z with it's 440 in it. I also have a 89 Cougar with a 500 fan it. I have to run against Polaris' 488 trails, and yamaha Phazers bigger motors. We are allowed internal mods only. Stock pipe, stock carbs.
My question is........
Am I better off building the 440 or going with the 500? I know the 500's had some crankshaft issues and wonder what the engine builders on here think? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.I dunno

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
REALLY, there are no Arctic Cat Race engine builders on this site???????????? Imagine that, an Arctic Cat Chat site with NO engine builders?????? Seems odd?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Try Precision Crankshaft in Eagle River, WI. Good work, reasonable rates for mods. Good tips for porting and other enhancements. Owners name is Tom. 715-477-1697 He has done a lot of work for me and all has been to my liking. Never had a repeat failure.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
REALLY, there are no Arctic Cat Race engine builders on this site???????????? Imagine that, an Arctic Cat Chat site with NO engine builders?????? Seems odd?
Well, Thats not 100% true. I dont like to advertise but I do build Prostock 1000 drag motors using Hooper cylinders. Just stuff for the Pros mostly. Most of my work is done on the T-cat based engine. I have ported, bored, and stroked most all of them though with great success. I never did any fan cooled engines or smaller than 500cc LC engines ever so I cant help the guy out.

·
Super Moderator
8,443 Posts
use a z440 sno pro engine. they made the most power over the standard 440s and 500s. They were built from roughly 1999 to 2003. they had few little things done to them to make them run better.

·
Registered
984 Posts
use a z440 sno pro engine. they made the most power over the standard 440s and 500s. They were built from roughly 1999 to 2003. they had few little things done to them to make them run better.
They had motor problems tho, they would eat up pistons pretty easy. But yes they were fast as hell if you could keep them together. I believe they have a piston up date on them. But they did have better porting and maybe a little case porting with duel 34mm carbs. Buddy of mine grew up on one and they were rockets.

Personally I like the polaris 488 motors, cylinders were way cheaper and borible. All the cat 440s are Ni-com coated, so you burn one up your sending it out. Stock form the motors are great, to make power out of them IMO not worth it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts