Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
That's a very good idea. Tilting the sled on its side in this way is probably only putting a 2-300 lbs of weight on the beam since the bulk of the weight is in the front and you've always got a ski planted on the ground. Where did you get the ring? The cable hoist is just a manual, mechanical advantage type of deal?
I made the ring. You could buy a strong eye bolt though. It bolts through a steel beam that straddles a couple of roof joists. I have used it when working on a quad too.

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
Makes sense. It begs my original question - why didn't AC put the drain hole there in the first place!?
Honestly, Arctic Cat and really the whole industry has lost they minds when it comes to maintenance. Try to replace the plugs in your machine, it's a couple hour job. You have to take the whole top pod off a Procross to check the coolant level (and they changed it to a black non-see though tank to boot).

Polaris and Ski-Doo are no better. New machines simply are not made to work on.

K

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I made the ring. You could buy a strong eye bolt though. It bolts through a steel beam that straddles a couple of roof joists. I have used it when working on a quad too.

Very cool. Thanks for the photos. I'm going to check my setup - I have exposed wooden girders (no steel) but my wife is an architect ... we'll figure out the loading issues ;).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have a similar setup to 660catman. I use a chainfall instead of a come-a-long.

I also have a stand. The stand is awesome for everything other than a job that needs the skid frame pulled. For that it's the ring and the chainfall.

K
Yes, I bought an EazyMove lift and that has proven to be a high-quality item and a good investment. EazyMove told me it's totally fine to leave the sled up there all summer (that's how I intend to keep the track off the ground). Is that what you do?

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
Yes, I bought an EazyMove lift and that has proven to be a high-quality item and a good investment. EazyMove told me it's totally fine to leave the sled up there all summer (that's how I intend to keep the track off the ground). Is that what you do?
I don't have that brand but it looks identical to yours, just red.

I suppose you could store it on there. I don't, I have too many sleds. :) I don't do anything special, just make sure where they are stored is dry and you should be good to go.

K

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have a plastic hose that fits perfectly in the drain hole, just pull plug, stick hose in real quick and let it drain, very little mess.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
AC makes a fitting that screws into the drain hole that you can attach a hose to, I have one and it was a pain in the butt to use.

What we need is a ball valve. :)

K
I've seen that and I've had a hard time tracking one down. What part of it is difficult to use? Given the limitations of the side-mounted drain valve it seems like it would be useful - essential even. Sounds like @AftonJay is using the same basic approach but has avoided use of the fitting. Is it the fitting, itself, that's giving you headaches?

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
I have the Cat fitting and hose and have no issue using it. I plug the end of the hose until sled is on ground. Remove plug and let it drain in a pan. Or all you need is a long enough hose so end is higher than the DD with sled on ground.

Reactions: Hock

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
It would work fine if you tipped the machine on its side. The TZ1 is just a huge, heavy machine, I don't find it practical.

I used to tip sleds up on their sides all the time, that how we used to pull skids, replace skegs, etc. T660s don't like that at all so I got away from it. The TZ1 would handle it just fine with its dry-sump but I don't have enough "junk in the trunk" to get the old girl over.

The PO must have been like be, hence the hole in the belly pan. It's not perfect but it works well enough. Honestly the DD drain could have been designed better to allow for draining, or maybe the Twin-Spar. Either way, a little more thought would have been good.

K

21 - 31 of 31 Posts