Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ZR and my buddy has a Polaris with navigation system built into the dash. It has helped us on many occasion get back to home any recommendations for mounting navigation to a ZR 9000? Or has anybody heard about it aftermarket dashboard with navigation system for Cats?

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
just get a Garmin Nuvi, download or get the maps from VV Mapping, I bought mine from a resale store for 12 bucks and sent to VV Maps for there mapping software. When I'm not using it on my sled I have it in my pickup. And it will route.

·
Registered
658 Posts
There is one out there. NS1 Gauge System - Next Stage Gauges

Pricey but less than what Polaris charges for there gauge. Riding buddy has one and it is pretty cool. I just use a garmin Nuvi with VV Mapping. Less than 150 for the garmin, the mapping and the mounting parts needed.

·
Super Moderator
8,299 Posts
Favaritos has the ns1. All the data logging it does makes it way better than a stand alone gps. He has also worked with them to improve the mount. It is run off a tablet so you can take inside and pre plan routes using WiFi.

·
Registered
105 Posts
X2~~>>
Get a Garmin Nuvi, and the maps from VV Mapping.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Have a ZR7000 and have a Garmin Nuvi 68LM that I bought from Garmin as remanufactured (appeared to be new, someone probably returned). I used a ram mound attached to the inside (my side) of the riser, with an extra long shaft bring it up just above my handle bars. Software was downloaded from GPS Trailmaster....

·
Super Moderator
8,776 Posts
Favoritos has the ns1. All the data logging it does makes it way better than a stand alone gps. He has also worked with them to improve the mount. It is run off a tablet so you can take inside and pre plan routes using WiFi.
Yeppers. ;)
I have been running the NS1 for awhile. I had the early version with the smaller screen and dummy lights on top. I switched to the larger screen for the past two seasons. I do like the larger screen display without the extra lights.
They are really set up for turbo riders. I run two stroke, so I never need the boost etc. on the display. The units interface with the Cat sensors which is super slick. It is just plug and play without any extra sensors.
I used a couple of different Garmin units in the past. (60CSx and Montana 650t) I ran them with Ram mounts on the bars. I still have the Garmin units and run them against the NS1 to verify speed etc. once and awhile.
For the mapping functions alone, the Garmin units are hard to beat. I added Redpine trail mapping software to them and the overlay is pretty good. The issue with "track up" at idle takes some time getting squared. I seem to fiddle with that too much.
The NS1 is super simple to use. It gives you the option of creating five different screen views. I set up a couple of screens with large readout on critical functions like rpm, egt, and engine temp depending on riding conditions. The functions can be set up to display as needle, bar, or digital readouts. You can select the readout size and location on the display of each function. It also allows you to inset the mapping functions if you want machine and engine at the same time. You can slide between the screens while riding. I basically set five different screens with common functions and forget it. The learning curve is fairly intuitive with simple instructions. I could go on and on about the data logging. It is a great option. I have used that feature a lot over the years. I wish I could easily upload that to show how I view the data. It is not easy to upload the data to a PC, which is one of the downfalls. I'm still a big screen dork and I like to view stuff in spreadsheet type data. Anyhow, you can view data logs and select the variables to input. (RPM, speed, engine temp, boost pressure, AFR, EGT, intake temp, and altitude, keep in mind those are from stock sensors). I usually try to remember any hiccups the sled had during the last trip and look at the data to see if anything is out of whack. The ability to select the variables for comparison helps simplify the process. The display functions for the machine are monochromatic which some users may not like. Mapping colors are basically like normal GPS units. It uses Ipad for the data storage and display. I rarely use those dang things and keep forgetting to manage the power. I have had it run down the sled battery when left on for a long time between trips.
I do like the NS1. It works well enough that my stock gauge has .5 miles on the display. I swapped it out that fast.
I could probably swing out a good price on the Garmin units. I rarely use them anymore.

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
I have the NS1 on my 14' ZR8000 lxr as well and have had both of the units also. The larger one is just like he said. Much better. The fact it's integrated with the electronics on the sled really makes it great. And when you get an error it tells you in english on the screen what is wrong. It's a nice feature. I do make up maps of my rides with mine and download the info each night back at the hotel onto my laptop. It's easy and here's an example of it. I use Garmin's Basecamp software and it works great with the NS1 (as tracks are just tracks no matter what the hardware is). I too use the Data logging for clutching and other acceleration items. But mostly I'm watching the water temps. On sleds with some crappy winters lately you really need that feature.

Steve

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a ZR and my buddy has a Polaris with navigation system built into the dash. It has helped us on many occasion get back to home any recommendations for mounting navigation to a ZR 9000? Or has anybody heard about it aftermarket dashboard with navigation system for Cats?
I've been using Osmand free app on my Android in a Ram X-mount on my 16 ZR 8000 137. Add GPS Trailmaster route file and it works great. Lots of screen/dashboard options! Cold will effect battery life, so get a 12v USB charger and you're good to go. Hopefully AC will produce a similar command system. Oh! One important thing with Osamand, you can navigate without a cellular signal. Offline mode works great when your boondocking out of coverage area.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts