Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All in all the new sled has held up well and I'm very pleased with it. But in the last 1000 miles or so it has developed a nasty vibration. At first it was noticeable, but not terrrible, but it is getting progressively worse. The strange thing is that it is worst when cruising at speeds above 50 mph or so. Up to about 50 it is pretty smooth and when you're on the gas it runs smooth, but when you back off and just ride along, it vibrates bad and feels like something is going to come apart. A couple times on our recent trip to the UP I thought I heard a bearing squaking a couple times, so I'm leaning towards a bad bearing somewhere, but just curious if others have experienced something similar. Also what bearing would be the most likely to fail? The jackshaft bearing on the clutch side? I'm thinking maybe all the clutch heat has cooked the bearing, but with the secondary off, the bearing looks fine. It sounded like the noise was coming from the left side, so maybe it's the driveshaft bearing behind the brake. I dunno

I know I commented about this in a different thread, but I didn't get many responses and thought that by adding some more info. someone might have some ideas. Any thoughts are appreciated. TIA

·
Super Moderator
9,370 Posts
How is your track alignment? They tend to move toward the left and rub pretty hard on the tunnel.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How is your track alignment? They tend to move toward the left and rub pretty hard on the tunnel.
Been there done that. Only mine moved to the right. :lol: The edge of the track was really starting to fray and the rivits in the tunnel were slicing the edge of the track. After aligning the track the frays have worn off and the track looks good now.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My sled developed a similiar vibration before I got rid of it. My bearings on the rear idler wheels failed. Thats what my vibration was. Have you checked your belt. I usually had a vibration before a belt exploded too.
I checked the belt after we got back from the UP and it looks great. It was new when we left and put about 700 miles on it, so I am very pleased with that. The vibration feels like it is coming from the front of the sled and I have a 4 wheel kit in the back, but I will check the idlers out just to be sure.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i had similar vibration that would go away if i gave it a little more gas, but when it no longer had load the vibration came back... long story short the jackshaft and gears blew apart . i had intermitting vibration for last 1000 miles or so and figured i would ride it out. i am hoping to get sled back soon, all my parts have showed up at dealer finally.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had the same problem with a bad vibration that showed up at 55 mph. I did a lot of testing to try and determine the problem. I believe there are several different things happening to create this. I never found one thing that would cure this but, several little things almost took it away. I'm sure some sleds will be different, some with different issues.1) out of round idler wheels. I had two of the four in front that would wobble out of round when spun up.
2) factory 082 drive belt too hard and transfer lots of vibration to jackshaft. Not to mention all the slipping the belt does when hot.
3) front rubber cushion on slide action mount not installed properly and or dry rotted and missing haft the rubber causing skid to not ride properly an rub on cross shaft transmitting out of round idler shake through skid to your feet.
After changing to soft belt and replacing front rubber mounts and making sure they were installed properly, also replacing idler wheels the vibration went away the last 300 miles of the season.

Chad

·
Registered
55 Posts
On the rear suspension at the front of the front track arm. There is a rod that bolts on each side of tunnel and holds front track arm in place. U shaped piece at front of arm has a rubber cushion attached to front of it so it not metal on metal as it moves back and forth. These should be changed every year if your putting a lot of miles on.
Chad

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yup had same thing,it was jackshaft to chaincase,chain broke causing the adjuster to get broke chewing things up inside,but mine is a 13 and the j-shaft is still good,but not the case,all fixed now,this was at 2500 miles.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Green, How you been bro?? Hey I took my rear skid out to get my RR ready for the 2013-14 season and I had 6 blown bearings. Check yours out bud!

Cheers

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Green, How you been bro?? Hey I took my rear skid out to get my RR ready for the 2013-14 season and I had 6 blown bearings. Check yours out bud!

Cheers
Doing great. Got the new Turbo home. That thing is going to be awesome!!! How have you been? Still underground? :lol:

I checked the idlers during the season and at the end of the year and the bearings seemed fine. I'm thinking it might be a bad bearing on the drive shaft. I haven't checked it out yet, but it's getting to be about that time of year so I will tear into it pretty soon and try to figure out what the hell is going on with it. Seems like a bad bearing would have failed by now but I dunno. I'm thinking about going to the extros. If I do, it will be torn down anyway and easier to check the condition of the bearings. Hoping to get it fixed/resolved b/c it is really annoying and I don't want to be on the wrong end of a tow strap. :lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.