Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I blew an engine over New Years weekend in my '03 M.C. 900. Needed a new crank, piston, cylinder among other things. Dealer I use never really had a sure cause to point to. Oil pump checked out and worked fine at the shop. Almost $3k later I had 'er back and was impressed with the power. It was like having a new sled again. Took it out for the break-in ride and put around 60 miles on it and was careful not to over do it, opened her up a little bit along the trail and did a couple small climbs. Nothing too stressful. Called the dealer and said how the ride went and they said I should be good to go and could ride how I want. The oil resevoir was just over half full so I thought all was well. I topped it off for the next ride. This past weekend I went out for the second ride on the new engine and it seased up again! I need a new crank, piston, cylinder, yada yada again! I'm not shelling out another $3k. Checked the plugs and they're the right color but totaly dry, the right cylinder was shot, broke off the arm and beat up the crank pretty bad. Both pistons and cylinders were dry and oil free leeding us to believe I had a bad oil pump. Do you think this just miracurasly happened between the first and second ride on the new engine and I have the worst luck, or should my mechanic have replaced the pump? I realize hindsight is 20/20 and I shouldn't be an armchair quarterback, but I'm at wits end and to say the least a bit frustrated. Below is what a new piston looks like with less than 100 miles.

[attachment=62278:piston_1.jpg][attachment=62279:piston_2.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ouch, that looks horrible. I feel for you and the unfortunate experience. Sounds like your dealer premixed the gas for breakin and when the was gone it got really dry. Did it consume any oil on your first ride?

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
seems like your mechanic should have been a touch more thorough. I know if it was me I'd be holding them to their work.

·
Registered
795 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kalebtimberlake @ Jan 30 2007, 05:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
seems like your mechanic should have been a touch more thorough. I know if it was me I'd be holding them to their work.[/b]

Ditto....I am of the opinion this is a waranty claim and the shop gets to buy you a new motor.

·
Registered
199 Posts
If you made it 100 miles you would think the oil pump would have to be working, and by looking at the detonation on those pistons it shouldnt have felt like it was running good either,that is one big mess and i hope you get it sorted out

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you told them to fix your sled (the first time) I would hold them to it. "I want it fixed and running properly"

However if the discussion was to just rebuld the motor, you might have a problem.

Good luck. This is a lot of $$$ especially since the sled is dead now. If the dealer won't stand by the repairs it's attorny time for that amount of coin.

Good luck.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yep 3 grand should buy you more than a breakin ride. Hold em to the repair. Something else obviously was wrong or something else was in need of being replaced. Looked like piston or a bearing failure maybe. How many miles did you put on it before the failure of the rebuild? I know this sux for ya, I feel your pain bro.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts