Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I hope everyone is up for a little entertainment. This is hopefully the most bazarre sledding experience I hope that I ever have to deal with.

Two weeks ago on Wednesday night, my buddy and I decided that a trip to Hurley, Wisconsin was needed. I looked at the weather channel and noticed that by Friday it was suppose to warm up and get some rain. So, I thought, well hell, I dont have to work on Thursday, so why not just pack and and leave that very night. My friend was cool with it.

We finally ended up leaving Appleton, Wisconsin at about 2 am. What we thought was a three hour trip was actually a six hour trip. We were intending on getting up there at about 5 am then sleeping for about 3 hours before we ride. Well, by the time we got there it was almost 8 am. I still wanted to sleep for a little bit at least. But, after seeing the snow on the ground, the blood was pumpin. My buddy said, "lets ride". I was game. After all, we had to be gone by about 5 pm, because my wife had to be at work by midnight. Yes, we probably shouldnt have even went, but we figured it'd be the last chance of the season.

We unloaded the sleds and hit the trails. WOW, were the trails in PERFECT shape. Not only that, but nobody was on them, so we could just fly around the turns and such.

About an hour into it, my buddy and I were racing each other on all the straight aways. I was killing him, he was on my other sled, which is a Ski-Doo670. Formula

We come to a stop sign and I pinned the throttle, I look back, and my buddy is nowhere to be found. I turned the sled around and headed back to the stop sign to find him sitting in the middle of the road. The track had busted and was bound up in the rails. We were a good 25 miles from the trailer. Not much more we could do besides take it in stride. I told him to hop on the back of my sled, then we'd head to town and rent a sled, so that we could enjoy the rest of the day. About a mile down the trail we have to yield to a groomer. I stopped him to ask where I could rent a sled and also to let him know that I had a sled on the trail about a mile ahead. I informed him that I pushed it to the side and it shouldnt be in his way. He told me that the best place to rent was about ten miles south, which was the opposite way from the trailer. No biggy, we started heading down there.

I find the rental shop, walk in and tell the guy that I'd like to rent a sled. He then informs me that he needs $1,000 cash deposit. Ok, well, I'll bite it and give it up, until I noticed that I left my Drivers License and Credit card in my van. The only thing that I had was a Visa Check card on me. He wouldnt take it.

At this point, I thought, hell with it, let's drive back and get the trailer to load up the broken sled and head back home. So, we were off. About ten minutes into the trip back I notice my sled making an odd knocking sound. I thought, wow, my motor is knocking. So, I pulled over to check it out. I notice there is anti-freeze pooring out of the heat exchanger. Well, after looking a little further, I noticed that my freakin track had busted and one of the studs mangeled the left tunnel exchanger as well as the front exchanger. Well, we are probably about 30 miles from the van. We are in the middle of the woods, and again, it was in the middle of the day on Thursday, nobody was out there. So, we had to wing it. We hopped back on the sled and drove about 15 mph for about 400 feet at a time. We would then hop off, open the hood and cram it full of snow, allowing the engine to cool. Everytime the overhead dummy light would come on we'd repeat the process.

Countless hours later we finally reach the Ski-Doo. Get ready, you guys are going to love this. I look at it and ask my friend, "isn't that turned the opposite way?" He replied, YES! I get a little closer only to find out that the FREAKIN groomer flat out ran the damn thing over!!!! He crushed the skis as well has caused belly pan and body damage. I was now PISSED OFF!

My buddy and I managed to pull the track out of the slide rails to make the sled mobile. I had him ride it real slowly along side of me. It is now going on 6pm, and we still havent reached the damn trailer. I find out that somehow we got off track and were lost. I found someone riding and they directed me the "right" way, back to Hurley. No, we ended up on Michigan trails and had to head back. Keep in mind, we had to stop every 3 minutes to pack my sled full of snow.

We finally make it back to Hurley, and it was the first place my cell phone had signal, so I called my wife to tell her to call work and let them know she'd be a couple of hours late. I told her I'd be home tonight, if nothing else goes wrong. Then I made a joke and said, "but, who knows, the way our day went, the trailer will probably fall off.

About two ours down the road, we're tired as hell just chit chatting and all the sudden, BOOM!, I looked back, wondering what the hell happened, I was happy to see that the trailer was still attached. I get a better look and notice that the thing is leaning to the side. We pull over, only to be greeted by a police officer. He comes up and says, wow, that's ****ty. He noticed that our wheel had fallen off and went into a field nearby. He actually walked through knee deep snow to get it for us. We look into it a little further and notice that the hub was now bad. So, considering it was about 10 pm, nothing was open. Wal-Mart didnt have the parts. So, that blows the plans of being home tonight. We had to stay in a hotel so that we could get to fleet farm in the morning.

I set a wake up call for 6:30, so I could get to fleet farm right when they open. It was about 12 PM before we got settled in. The next thing I know there is some lady yelling at me. "Sir, it's 11:30, and check out was at 11. ****!!!! What else could possibly go wrong. I somehow slept ten hours in a hotel. We booked out of there quickly.

I went and took a look at the trailer now that it was daylight. By the way, this trailer is a MAJOR piece of crap that I had borrowed. I noticed that the hub and the leaf spring shackles would have to be replaced. I go and purchase all of the parts, as well as many tools that I'd need. Fleet farm is about 30 miles from the trailer, so I wanted to make sure I had everything. I get back to the trailer, and sure enough it starts to downpoor rain. After jacking the trailer up, I noticed one small detail, the frame on the other side from the broken hub was broken. This must have happened when the wheel feel off. No matter what, this trailer wasnt going to be fixed. I'm now very frustrated. I told my friend, "the hell with it, lets look in the paper and see if we can't find a decent two place trailer." If I found one, I'd just leave that trailer in Wal Mart's parking lot for the time being and have a friend pick it up later that day. So, we finally get a lucky break. I found a nice alluminum tilt trailer with a salt shield for $400! I snatched it up. Now I was feeling good, I have a trailer that I've been long putting off. It's nicer, bigger, and much more dependable.

We head back to get the snowmobiles, and it had to be about 3 pm by now. I was starving. So, we pulled off and stopped at McD's. Placed our order, pulled up and paid the lady, went to pull up to the next window and BOOOOOOM. Sure enough, I freakin hit McD's with the new trailer. It was about a foot wider on each side than the trailer I was used to. I hit the yellow cement pole, so no damage to McD's, but sure enough the salt shield was gone.

We finally reach the sleds and get them loaded and made our way back.

What did I end up with? Two broken sleds and a newly purchased wrecked trailer.

Anyone have a trip that can compete with this? lol!!!

Anyways, here's some links to some videos, nothing special, just tooling around in Hurley.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cxcy0A45QRY

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pIKha7e53D4

·
Registered
146 Posts
And I thought that my luck was bad this year...You managed to have my entire season in one day.

My new moto is "It can't get any worse than this"

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sdle101 @ Mar 20 2007, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
My new moto is "It can't get any worse than this"[/b]
I've learned not to say that ever again, that is the exact thing I kept saying that whole day. And, sure enough, as soon as I said it, the all mighty delivered another blow. LOL

So, anyone want to go riding with me next year???? lol.

Mike

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
bang your head bang your head bang your head

Oh WOW! I think that would put me on the verge of giving up the sport.................................

NA love it to much, hope next year goes better for you.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Z-Rider @ Mar 20 2007, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
bang your head bang your head bang your head

Oh WOW! I think that would put me on the verge of giving up the sport.................................

NA love it to much, hope next year goes better for you.[/b]
You my friend have a high level of tolerance... I would have said Yup im done

·
Registered
780 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jeff H @ Mar 20 2007, 11:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Geez...Murphy was sure following you around huh?[/b]
That is about the worst luck I've heard of in recent times. At least you now have a long while to recover before the next season.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm thinking about doing a little water skipping today! YAH RIGHT, I'D SINK FOR SURE WITH MY LUCK!!!!

·
Super Moderator
9,287 Posts
Good Story. It's all good when no one gets hurt. There must have been something in the air that day around there. I'll bet that I was no more than a few miles from you on that same day when we had our trip of a lifetime also. Check out "Not so good" in the Crossfire section.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts