Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 · (Edited)
That truck has tumbled probably 100 times, paint is flexible! Clear top is what you get when you buy’m. I know you can’t paint your sleds cowling from the inside but the paint can be applied on the outside.

View attachment 367854 View attachment 367855 View attachment 367856

My wife bought one of the cheap RC trucks to scare away the Squirrels from bird feeders LOL.. She sets it under the feeders outside and when the Squirrels come she drives at them LOL... She leaves the remote on kitchen counter by window LOL.. They run like crazy to next zip code LOL... I chased one like 50 yrds. with it LOL. just a cheap one is all. It ran 18 hours from sitting and using it each time. Run time is like 30 minutes on battery, I run it like 5ft. at them, then back it up for next run chase LOL.. Then it just sits, for next run. 18 hours use sit, then run at them 5ft. till morning..... !!! In other words it sits outside turned ON 18 hours.... Then if a Limb Rat LOL shows up I drive at him.

·
Registered
527 Posts
My wife bought one of the cheap RC trucks to scare away the Squirrels from bird feeders LOL.. She sets it under the feeders outside and when the Squirrels come she drives at them LOL... She leaves the remote on kitchen counter by window LOL.. They run like crazy to next zip code LOL... I chased one like 50 yrds. with it LOL. just a cheap one is all. It ran 18 hours from sitting and using it each time. Run time is like 30 minutes on battery, I run it like 5ft. at them, then back it up for next run chase LOL.. Then it just sits, for next run. 18 hours use sit, then run at them 5ft. till morning..... !!! In other words it sits outside turned ON 18 hours.... Then if a Limb Rat LOL shows up I drive at him.
They use large R/C trucks with a goose decoy on top to scare off large flocks of geese off of park lands in Southern Ontario... the amount of goose skat was becoming a health issue..wouldn’t want to be the guy that has to clean the skat off the wheels of that R/C truck!! Lol x2!! 🤯 The photo of the truck I posted has been modified 6 ways of Sunday..pulls a wheelie as long as you want, rear bumper is starting to wear thin! Going to be buying another R/C car from my brother, 33cc gas engine with a tuned expansion chamber exhaust, it looks like a Baja sand buggy; 1/4 scale. I’ve been around and raced 1/10 scale alcohol nitromethane R/C vehicles for about 25 years and there always a blast to run. While living in L.A. I hung around Ron Paris, a well known porting guru of these small engine’s; he also had his own line of engine’s that were sought after by anyone who was involved in the R/C market. Before he was involved with the R/C cars he was engine designer for Suzuki ‘s M-X division...great guy! Sadly he passed away more than 10 years ago.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 · (Edited)
In the basement I used just spray can to put a primer shadow coat on hood/windshield to see how close I am. Front is flush molded, but one side has two high spots to sand down, And other side I forgot to remove one self tap screw that held shield to hood LOL... So three areas to fix before gun spray primer. Think last pic shows the flaws on sides better. Won't be perfect, not forth it. But I'll hit it once more with 320 on spots. DON"T EVER use this tractor paint primer !!!! It loads up the paper..... Does not sand like ANY TYPE automotive primer. It is oil based same as the color coats....

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
They use large R/C trucks with a goose decoy on top to scare off large flocks of geese off of park lands in Southern Ontario... the amount of goose skat was becoming a health issue..wouldn’t want to be the guy that has to clean the skat off the wheels of that R/C truck!! Lol x2!! 🤯 The photo of the truck I posted has been modified 6 ways of Sunday..pulls a wheelie as long as you want, rear bumper is starting to wear thin! Going to be buying another R/C car from my brother, 33cc gas engine with a tuned expansion chamber exhaust, it looks like a Baja sand buggy; 1/4 scale. I’ve been around and raced 1/10 scale alcohol nitromethane R/C vehicles for about 25 years and there always a blast to run. While living in L.A. I hung around Ron Paris, a well known porting guru of these small engine’s; he also had his own line of engine’s that were sought after by anyone who was involved in the R/C market. Before he was involved with the R/C cars he was engine designer for Suzuki ‘s M-X division...great guy! Sadly he passed away more than 10 years ago.

They use to use RC boats here at a Chemical Factory Plant with HUGE pond to scare off Geese. Then they setup two Coyote Decoys LOL....

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 · (Edited)
OK.... I had enough of this plastic hood LOL.... Time for plan (B). Don't like doing this stuff any more, but I have vinyl cutters here, FlexiSign Pro software, etc..... I'll design a wrap or graphics to cover flaws on hood from the nose up, and cross the sides, once final color paint is on. Or I might use low stick vinyl masking, make a design and cut out a reverse mask and spray in the graphics, then remove the mask, clear it.... Like I did on this bike tank...

·
Registered
527 Posts
OK.... I had enough of this plastic hood LOL.... Time for plan (B). Don't like doing this stuff any more, but I have vinyl cutters here, FlexiSign Pro software, etc..... I'll design a wrap or graphics to cover flaws on hood from the nose up, and cross the sides, once final color paint is on. Or I might use low stick vinyl masking, make a design and cut out a reverse mask and spray in the graphics, then remove the mask, clear it.... Like I did on this bike tank...

Very impressed with the quality of your paint work! A paint job like that takes a lot of time and patients. How many coats of clear before you have to sand? 3-4?How many coats of clear all together? 5-6? What brand of clear and type? Clear lacquer was used in the ‘70 during the custom van craze, spider webbing and a yellowing of the clear is what would happen after 2 decades pasted. Modern clear coats have come a long way since the ‘70’s.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 · (Edited)
I got that gas tank for free. It leaked around seams and had dents. I have like 100 pics of it from start to finish. The ENTIRE tank was done with Lacquer base spray cans for a demo. Then cleared heavy with spray can Urethane. Only air used was to airbrush shadows around tribal flames, and around the filler neck with my Name (full Blown Graphics) I used HEAVY silver flake by Dupli Color. Red HEAVY flake by Dupli Color. I used Killer Cans red Kandy from Alsa custom paints. So the Kandy TOP coat is over the top of the SILVER, and RED flake base coats. In other words it was tinted on base before the Kandy top coat making it easier with spray cans... Lot of wet sanding and buffing the heavy clear.

Attachments

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 · (Edited)
A TRUE CANDY paint job would use SILVER or GOLD base coat.... But with spray cans ya cheat and tint the base coat with red, or pink etc.... IF USING CANDY RED... In other words to cheat ya use a base coat CLOSE to the candy top coat. Candy is translucent etc... Like food coloring, you can see through it. You HAVE TO spray same number of coats counting. If there is a flaw in your work you CAN"T just spray over it with more paint like you could with a Opaque color type paint... I only painted the one half of tank. I used the other half as a test with masking etc... I put the tank on Craigslist for $25.00 It sold INSTANT to a guy who just wanted it to hang, set etc... in his garage. I had about $80.00 in it LOL.... But it was just a demo test etc....For fun. And seam leak not fixed, just filler over it.... YES HE KNEW THAT...... I told him !!!

·
Registered
527 Posts
A TRUE CANDY paint job would use SILVER or GOLD base coat.... But with spray cans ya cheat and tint the base coat with red, or pink etc.... IF USING CANDY RED... In other words to cheat ya use a base coat CLOSE to the candy top coat. Candy is translucent etc... Like food coloring, you can see through it. You HAVE TO spray same number of coats counting. If there is a flaw in your work you CAN"T just spray over it with more paint like you could with a Opaque color type paint... I only painted the one half of tank. I used the other half as a test with masking etc... I put the tank on Craigslist for $25.00 It sold INSTANT to a guy who just wanted it to hang, set etc... in his garage. I had about $80.00 in it LOL.... But it was just a demo test etc....For fun. And seam leak not fixed, just filler over it.... YES HE KNEW THAT...... I told him !!!
Very interesting way of painting, never would have guessed that a rattle can could produce a great effect! I enjoyed the video as well! Very impressed with your paint, and your cost and time cutting process! Wish I knew about this when I painted a ‘91 Prowler hood graphics, I spent a lot of time and money painting it the old school way. Paint was the only selling point of the old sled, only painted it to practice on..lol!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
That hood is a bit different using a spray can.... Never get a wide enough pattern. Bike tank small area. This is a bit exagerated... BUT.... You could JUST ABOUT literally spray Lacquer out of a Windex bottle LOL... It is the WET SANDING and Polishing, Buffing that makes ANY paint work look perfect !!! Painting is a chemistry.... Any NICE paint job is 90% prep work, 10% paint job... When you think it is PERFECT and ready for paint? GO TO BED.... Come back and prime, wet sand it again next morning etc...... Do that a few times LOL....

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Very interesting way of painting, never would have guessed that a rattle can could produce a great effect! I enjoyed the video as well! Very impressed with your paint, and your cost and time cutting process! Wish I knew about this when I painted a ‘91 Prowler hood graphics, I spent a lot of time and money painting it the old school way. Paint was the only selling point of the old sled, only painted it to practice on..lol!

Old school with bikers on show tanks etc... Was a spray can.... And old school pearl was done by adding nail polish to colors in gun LOL... Paint is just a COLOR.... It is the work ya do after the color that brings out the flare !! If you into practice with CANDY colors? And a AIRBRUSH? Mix food coloring colors with Future Floor Shine.... Then play with testing on something....

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 · (Edited)
This was just for fun playing with food coloring drops added to future floor shine acrylic in a cheap junk airbrush. Used spray can primer, then airbrush testing stuff for fun... With a flimsy mylar skull template just held up next to it so paint spray food color is not tape line, just over spray effect ya want. Took about 5 minutes and done !!! all food coloring other than gray primer LOL....just for fun messing around. red and blue drops of food coloring mixed to make imitation purple candy translucent LOL... If play with airbrush? less paint good, more paint BAD... Ya just want a baby powder effect spray, not much paint flow at trigger, nozzle, needle etc...

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
I decided going all paint.... Gotta buy some transfer tape for vinyl cutter, and some vinyl.... Do sled complete in Tangerine paint, then graphics flowing from hood nose to tunnel sides to rear of tunnel flare extension. Sled not worth the extra work on a budget build.... Just gotta decide on a nice graphics flow design? from nose to tail? and a color? Colors ? Again spray can only to get idea where I'm at before the gun comes out for final work...

·
Registered
527 Posts
I decided going all paint.... Gotta buy some transfer tape for vinyl cutter, and some vinyl.... Do sled complete in Tangerine paint, then graphics flowing from hood nose to tunnel sides to rear of tunnel flare extension. Sled not worth the extra work on a budget build.... Just gotta decide on a nice graphics flow design? from nose to tail? and a color? Colors ? Again spray can only to get idea where I'm at before the gun comes out for final work...

View attachment 367917

View attachment 367918
I get some of my paint designs from looking at small aircrafts or helicopters... I know it sounds ridiculous..but it works for me, some of the designs from the late ‘70’s and on are pretty cool; just modify them to your own taste. Another source of designs I would look at is from the Remote Control car scene, overlapping designs are a little tricky; and lot of masking which can be a little confusing...especially when I have to do it from the inside; that’s the way it’s done on R/C vehicle’s. I’m definitely going to try some of the techniques that you have described. I stumbled across a way of making lightning bolts one day by accident. Took some blue candy paint and sprayed it over a piece of shiny aluminum, didn’t like the look; it was to thick and dark; paint wasn’t quite dry and I applied flat black paint over it what happened is the flat black cracked and exposed the blue underneath it in a lightning pattern. I was told by a old school painter that this is how certain paint techniques are discovered...by mistakes! Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
I get some of my paint designs from looking at small aircrafts or helicopters... I know it sounds ridiculous..but it works for me, some of the designs from the late ‘70’s and on are pretty cool; just modify them to your own taste. Another source of designs I would look at is from the Remote Control car scene, overlapping designs are a little tricky; and lot of masking which can be a little confusing...especially when I have to do it from the inside; that’s the way it’s done on R/C vehicle’s. I’m definitely going to try some of the techniques that you have described. I stumbled across a way of making lightning bolts one day by accident. Took some blue candy paint and sprayed it over a piece of shiny aluminum, didn’t like the look; it was to thick and dark; paint wasn’t quite dry and I applied flat black paint over it what happened is the flat black cracked and exposed the blue underneath it in a lightning pattern. I was told by a old school painter that this is how certain paint techniques are discovered...by mistakes! Thanks for the advice!
Correct lot of cool paint tricks by mistake !!!! I seen bike frames where the frame meets the rear axle, and up front where frame meets the forks... Ya spray NUMEROUS different colors on tail of frame.... Wait a week, then sand JUST the tail about 8in. length showing all the different color layers... LEAVE it that way !!!! at tail and at front of frame 8in. length. Lot of work in nice paint before hand. My brother brought back a $25K bike from Vegas he got cheap that caught fire. Wheels, tires, etc... all melted LOL... We been rebuilding it. I'm doing the body work, paint.... Lot of work. I used 2K Etch prime, 2K reg. prime. 2K filler, etc.... The gas tank neck is 1in. high. I molded the tank and neck flush level for a pop up cap... So when done ya don't see a cap. Few pics in link....
Chopper Paint....

·
Registered
527 Posts
Correct lot of cool paint tricks by mistake !!!! I seen bike frames where the frame meets the rear axle, and up front where frame meets the forks... Ya spray NUMEROUS different colors on tail of frame.... Wait a week, then sand JUST the tail about 8in. length showing all the different color layers... LEAVE it that way !!!! at tail and at front of frame 8in. length. Lot of work in nice paint before hand. My brother brought back a $25K bike from Vegas he got cheap that caught fire. Wheels, tires, etc... all melted LOL... We been rebuilding it. I'm doing the body work, paint.... Lot of work. I used 2K Etch prime, 2K reg. prime. 2K filler, etc.... The gas tank neck is 1in. high. I molded the tank and neck flush level for a pop up cap... So when done ya don't see a cap. Few pics in link....
Chopper Paint....
Replied on Google

101 - 117 of 117 Posts