Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up this today for a fun relic 700 vintage mod project to strip down and build NICE when finished.. You won't recognize it when I'm down with build about next year LOL.. Brought it back from Boonville NY.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Poor sports LOL.... Nobody likes my Doo/Cat I'm gonna build...Here few pictures all stripped other than D&D Cat Roller clutch and stock skis. Ready to garden hose it all out when warm outside. Then de-grease it, paint strip it / Then sand it. Probably going to paint ENTIRE sled tunnel, chassis etc... Going to have lot of rivets like a Anderson chassis, so easier to paint sled.... Than polish it. Rear tunnel will all be cut out, Then do a cardboad template to shear and bend a aluminum raised flared tunnel. Got the hood now, and a Wahl bros racing one piece windshield does away with hole area for light, Then mold in to the hood as all one unit..
P3190723.JPG
P3190724.JPG
P3190725.JPG
P3050721.JPG
P3050722.JPG

·
Registered
621 Posts
Poor sports LOL.... Nobody likes my Doo/Cat I'm gonna build...Here few pictures all stripped other than D&D Cat Roller clutch and stock skis. Ready to garden hose it all out when warm outside. Then de-grease it, paint strip it / Then sand it. Probably going to paint ENTIRE sled tunnel, chassis etc... Going to have lot of rivets like a Anderson chassis, so easier to paint sled.... Than polish it. Rear tunnel will all be cut out, Then do a cardboad template to shear and bend a aluminum raised flared tunnel. Got the hood now, and a Wahl bros racing one piece windshield does away with hole area for light, Then mold in to the hood as all one unit.. View attachment 367352 View attachment 367353 View attachment 367354 View attachment 367355 View attachment 367356 View attachment 367352 View attachment 367353 View attachment 367354 View attachment 367355 View attachment 367356
Are you going to use oversized air craft rivets?Perhaps paint the cowling lime green? Looks like a great summer time project, going to be a few dozen hours of time put into it! Ever think of chroming the skis and leaf springs, or perhaps going overboard and chroming anything that is metal? Complete bulkhead, looks like really sweet dude! Just chuck’n an idea at ya, may not be your thing; just one mans opinion. I’m following, so I’d like to see your progress!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Air craft rivets sound pretty good idea. No chrome, just a kind of budget build.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
People need get over it if it's a Doo, Cat, Pol etc.... I posted in that type thread.... It is a Vintage build Drag Sled for fun.... My wife asked how far ya going with it? LOL.... I'm at $2k now including the $1200.00 for sled. Have lots of parts I ordered sitting waiting for build LOL... I told her YOU KNOW this stuff is in my blood !!!! And it will be done when it is a perfect winner again LOL... Just doing measurements to be sure what and where to cut stuff at moment before build. This is pretty much where hood will set on, level with running boards. Getting measurements where I'm cutting off stuff. Pipes probably not fit under it. So if Seely Engine Machine Shop in Stanley NY is still around on Mill Street I'll have them cut, weld my pipes. They did pipes on my other 454 sled and did the engine bore on my cylinders. If they are still there? owner was killed in a small private plane crash he had. Got the cardboard from Micheal's Craft store today for a template for rear tunnel rise flare. Can just make it inside, all I need is width of tunnel, and length to go past track in rear. It's a fine line in Drag Race Built motors and clutching.... It either GOES or it BLOWS..... LOL... Needs High end CAT green maybe when ready after chassis build?

P3230718.JPG
P3230719.JPG
P3230720.JPG
P3230721.JPG

·
Registered
621 Posts
People need get over it if it's a Doo, Cat, Pol etc.... I posted in that type thread.... It is a Vintage build Drag Sled for fun.... My wife asked how far ya going with it? LOL.... I'm at $2k now including the $1200.00 for sled. Have lots of parts I ordered sitting waiting for build LOL... I told her YOU KNOW this stuff is in my blood !!!! And it will be done when it is a perfect winner again LOL... Just doing measurements to be sure what and where to cut stuff at moment before build. This is pretty much where hood will set on, level with running boards. Getting measurements where I'm cutting off stuff. Pipes probably not fit under it. So if Seely Engine Machine Shop in Stanley NY is still around on Mill Street I'll have them cut, weld my pipes. They did pipes on my other 454 sled and did the engine bore on my cylinders. If they are still there? owner was killed in a small private plane crash he had. Got the cardboard from Micheal's Craft store today for a template for rear tunnel rise flare. Can just make it inside, all I need is width of tunnel, and length to go past track in rear. It's a fine line in Drag Race Built motors and clutching.... It either GOES or it BLOWS..... LOL... Needs High end CAT green maybe when ready after chassis build?
View attachment 367379 View attachment 367380 View attachment 367381
View attachment 367382 View attachment 367379 View attachment 367380 View attachment 367381 View attachment 367382
What brand of expansion chambers? Have to be cautious when cutting, cutting manifold to short and it will give you more top end but will cause issues with bottom end power. Manifold sections have to be of equal lengths. I’m not quite certain if the info I’m providing is known to you already, just trying to save you some time and money in the future.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Same problem happens if the bend at manifold point exit is to radical or to short getting blow back in to a mod motor. Got my new drag skis today from Wahl Bros. Collecting all my parts until ready to cut this sled up with measurements. They sent me new catalog this time, Website sucks to find ANYTHING from cam arms to cables, hoods, etc.... Website list nothing much, like it use to. But Catalog is like my old one but with 1000 new parts etc... Crankshop pipes to much money, maybe set of Aaaen pipes. I'll never race it anyways LOL... Probably sell it when done or just build another one for fun but IFS front, not leaf spring. Never get your money back in build, just a FUN hobby !!!
P3290718.JPG

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I made my flared cardboard template for tunnel. Need to cut bottom yet, then do part that will mold to rear of seat. I might use the Wahl Drag seat, or do a snap on plaeted seat cover is all like on my Anderson sleds... Not sure yet.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have a new sheet of 14ga. Aluminum for tunnel extension and fuel tank mounts...

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm cutting out lot of steel not needed etc.... And removed belly pan stainless steel. Then the front foot rest I'll cut out also, maybe leave it gone or use polished diamond plate aluminum with machined holes in them, then polished diamond for rear foot drag race rest...

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pretty funny, saw this video, looks like what I'm stripping apart to redo LOL... Center sled in video LOL...

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When all done ready for paint I keep thinking HOT NEON green? And why not? I seen a guy on here do a 97? ZR EFI Cat in RED skidoo color... Be pretty cool in green to cause a ruckus LOL... It's a MUTT......!!!! Parted with all brands !!!! All sleds are cool !!!

·
Registered
621 Posts
I'm cutting out lot of steel not needed etc.... And removed belly pan stainless steel. Then the front foot rest I'll cut out also, maybe leave it gone or use polished diamond plate aluminum with machined holes in them, then polished diamond for rear foot drag race rest...
View attachment 367449 View attachment 367450
Anderson sled is like totally bitch’n! What’s your fastest E.T.? What’s your reaction time on the tree? I participate in 1/4 mile drag racing from time to time back in L.A. with a ‘70 Mustang, CJ 429, fully optioned, 4 speed,with the optional track pack. I have a reaction time of 0.021 average, quickest time was 0.016 Diamond plating foot rests front and rear sounds good to me. By what you are posting and talking about, you really know what’s up dude! The photos of the skis are still in the box, do you have any more ski satelles that you can use for weight transfer/ light steering? Aaen pipes are a great choice, affordable as well! As to your not going to race her.... I highly doubt it dude! There’s always someone who’s going to call you out! Take the call out challenge, but put a ringer on your sled to race, small lightweight dude (160 lbs.) like me with a quick reaction time to race’m! Lol 😝 I may be small, but I’m as tough as toe nail soup! Keep up the great work, I enjoy watching your progress! P.S. like the race vest, cool!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Anderson sled is like totally bitch’n! What’s your fastest E.T.? What’s your reaction time on the tree? I participate in 1/4 mile drag racing from time to time back in L.A. with a ‘70 Mustang, CJ 429, fully optioned, 4 speed,with the optional track pack. I have a reaction time of 0.021 average, quickest time was 0.016 Diamond plating foot rests front and rear sounds good to me. By what you are posting and talking about, you really know what’s up dude! The photos of the skis are still in the box, do you have any more ski satelles that you can use for weight transfer/ light steering? Aaen pipes are a great choice, affordable as well! As to your not going to race her.... I highly doubt it dude! There’s always someone who’s going to call you out! Take the call out challenge, but put a ringer on your sled to race, small lightweight dude (160 lbs.) like me with a quick reaction time to race’m! Lol 😝 I may be small, but I’m as tough as toe nail soup! Keep up the great work, I enjoy watching your progress! P.S. like the race vest, cool!
Just watched the video, just a little too much traction! Dude almost flipped it upside down! 🙀

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah not so much as far as traction..... It is how ya set up a drag suspension to lift skis NO MORE than two inch once it collapses on launch to transfer weight H.P. to track........

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As far as light? reaction time etc....? Small time here with drag sleds in NYS.... Most have a street light is all that blinks down to green LOL... Small time grass, ice drags here LOL....But yes I use to be FAST on light, I been a Martial Arts guy since my 20's LOL, so pretty fast. I can build them!! (VINTAGE OPEN MODS. ONLY) But i"m 63 now..... Oh and 4 speed? No hand can shift as FAST as a built B&M auto tranny. Wink !!!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Anderson chassis is solid heavy duty for large cc motors I have used, and nice looking. But it's not lite weight as far as Wahl Bros. chassis or pro line chassis for small motors. That I had.

·
Registered
621 Posts
As far as light? reaction time etc....? Small time here with drag sleds in NYS.... Most have a street light is all that blinks down to green LOL... Small time grass, ice drags here LOL....But yes I use to be FAST on light, I been a Martial Arts guy since my 20's LOL, so pretty fast. I can build them!! (VINTAGE OPEN MODS. ONLY) But i"m 63 now..... Oh and 4 speed? No hand can shift as FAST as a built B&M auto tranny. Wink !!!
I Trained in Couching Tiger, northern style. Yah us Karate dude’s are quick, and well disciplined to keep it cool when the pressure’s on. I like automatic transmissions, but I have to keep my car stock, it’s one of two ever built in its colour scheme fully loaded. It’s the only one left in existence, it’s sister was totalled in 1988. Actually it’s not completely stock... my dad and myself rebuild power plant; put in a mild but not wild cam, played around with timing and carbs. 😎

·
Registered
621 Posts
I Trained in Couching Tiger, northern style. Yah us Karate dude’s are quick, and well disciplined to keep it cool when the pressure’s on. I like automatic transmissions, but I have to keep my car stock, it’s one of two ever built in its colour scheme fully loaded. It’s the only one left in existence, it’s sister was totalled in 1988. Actually it’s not completely stock... my dad and myself rebuild power plant; put in a mild but not wild cam, played around with timing and carbs. 😎
Looking over the pics, yah you know the scene dude! Like the photo of you ripping up the carpet!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh if ya look at second pic above, you will see I don't use carbide ski runners. I wrap the ski loop entire length for ice drags to slide FAST !!!! Bitch to keep straight IF your sled not setup correct on pull though. BUT FAST compared to runners, scags etc.... Put them in oven till warm, then bend them....

1 - 20 of 184 Posts