Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All that time testing, all that time prepping, all that time getting excited. It all came to a head on Saturday.

First and foremost, it was a great experience overall and I have learned SOOOOOO much just from running my two races. Here's how it all broke down:

I knew I was in trouble as soon as we pulled into the parking area. Big trailers, lots of sponsorship, some big iron! I'm running stock 600 and stock 800 so I figure not much to worry about, these guys are out of my class anyway, but I don't see too many stock sleds. Tech inspection was interesting. I really expected it to be pretty thorough, but basically it was open your hood, let me see and listen to you motor, a look at the skid and a test of the tether. Not very scientific and basically leaves the door wide open for anyone who wants to cheat. They did not use a light beam or laser at the start line either. You were lined up by a starter. If you took your butt off the seat before the light changed, you were flagged. If you jumped the light, you were flagged, but this was decided by the person standing behind you. Again, not very scientific.

Had a chance to run both the Crossfire 600 and ZR 800 down the test and tune lane. It was almost pure ice at the starting line. No traction whatsoever. Really left me wondering how I was gong to manage the start fo the races themsleves. Spoke with a gentlemen by the name of Glen who runs his Yamaha at all these races. He usually cleans up. He was probably the only guy that somehow managed to have his sled hook up the best. Everyone else was spinning and somehow his nose heavy Yamaha was getting excellent hook up!!?? Everyone else was spinning quite a bit. He did say that on a day like that, with the conditions the way they were that the Firecats would show well. That they did.

So my first race comes up and I'm pretty excited. I was first to the staging area, of course, since I didn't want to miss it. Look behind me and it's all Revs! Not one Poo 600, not one F6. I was a little disappointed since I was hoping for good variety. So how did the race go....well I was too busy thinking about how I was going to start that I missed the light by about a second bang your head . A couple of the Revs had a good start and did fairly well. I lost of course, but the interesting thing is that by about 300 feet I was starting to gain on all of them, and pretty quick too. With the track only 550 feet though, I didn't have a chance. Was it high engagement or really low gearing, that got those Revs moving? I figured it might have been gearing since I was gaining. I figured they ran out of gear at about 300 feet, but can't be sure. Like I said, learned a lot that day. I know what I would do differently with the CF6 next time, besides keeping my eyes on the light, and that takes us back to my earlier post about tighter belt clearances and reducing the spider sheave spacer. That would have put the roller on the weight a little further back and brought engagment up. Would have hit harder once the weight started moving. I knew this from previous testing but thought my setup was good, and it was, but not perfect. I was only coming in at 3900 and noticed that a lot of people were coming in MUCH higher. Night before the race I contemplated changing, but decided to leave it. Doh!!! Overall the sled did really well though. At the very least I know I have an awesome trail setup and learned a little something both about the sled and racing.

Next it was time for the ZR to show it's prowess. I knew this sled was setup well and the night before I changed to a higher engagement spring and reduced the Injector Perfector a jet. Again at the staging area I looked behind to see what I was up against. All I see is Firecats!! Great.... Turns out there was a Doo at the back of the group. I hit the light well but had some traction issues and ended up going squirelly a few feet down the lane. Lost a second or two there. What I did notice was that the ZR did not lose any ground to the Firecats after that. I would absolutely love to run that race again. I really think that despite the weight disadvantage for the ZR, it is running so well that it could keeps it's own against the Firecats. Time to start talking smack!!!! Defintitley race the ZR again as it sits. Hope to hunt down a few Firecats over the remainder of the winter and see what happens!!! Very, very happy with that sled.

There were only a couple Crossfire 7's and a 1000. Didn't see those races and have not seen the results yet. None of the new F's were there...that I saw anyway.

When I came home that night of course I was dissapointed....and dead tired. More I think about what I would have done different and what I learned, the more I am realizing that I have been bit by the bug. Now I want to race again....real bad!!!

It was a great experience and I had a heap load of fun!!!
[attachment=61534:Wetaskiw...rags_003.jpg][attachment=61535:Wetaskiw...rags_005.
jpg][attachment=61539:00290004.JPG]

Attachments

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No one runs studs here. It was slick, but not pure ice....maybe by the end of the day. Usually it should be loose snow and there was a bit, but underneath was pretty hard. Due to the funny weather we've had this winter. So I wouldn't say ice, but some good solid hard pack with a little loose on top. I did notice that a few people were running the finger tracks. I had actually contemplated that very track earlier in the year. 14" wide, light, and it's a combo of fingers and paddles. Looked like it was working well for the guys using it.

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
Why doesn't anyone run studs? I could see their point for trail riding but for those running pure race sleds...???

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only ones I know running studs for sure are the guys racing on the rivers or lake ice. Just a Western thing I guess. Usually no need for them!

Normally too much snow :lol:

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Sounds like you had a good time. The more you run the more confident and better you get. Keep it up and let us know how you do. Last year they almost made us run without studs but changed their mind right be fore the season started.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Now your a veteran... Not worthy:

Sounds like you had a good time and enjoyed the experience. Sorry to hear that you didn't place. As much effort you entailed, I was hoping that you would bring home a ribbon. Anyway, hope to hear future reports on your testing and racing.

I finally head out on the 24th to pick up the sled and add some miles. I'll drop a note and pics when I return. :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sno Pilot @ Jan 22 2007, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Now your a veteran... Not worthy:

Sounds like you had a good time and enjoyed the experience. Sorry to hear that you didn't place. As much effort you entailed, I was hoping that you would bring home a ribbon. Anyway, hope to hear future reports on your testing and racing.

I finally head out on the 24th to pick up the sled and add some miles. I'll drop a note and pics when I return. :beer_cheers:[/b]
Hey Ron....great to see your finally going to put some miles on this winter.....get away from that TV!!

I wasn't going in thinking I had a chance, but I guess you still wonder "what if". Best part is what I learned. I can gaurantee that the next time will be a lot different. Still may not win, but definitely have better races!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi
Sounds like you had a great time anyway. It would have been interesting to see. Is that a 2" on the ZR? I know with the wife's ripsaw on a CF7 that thing hooks up and she beats me out of the hole on hardpack. I am amazed with the traction.

·
Registered
942 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZRrrr @ Jan 23 2007, 12:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hey Ron....great to see your finally going to put some miles on this winter.....get away from that TV!!

I wasn't going in thinking I had a chance, but I guess you still wonder "what if". Best part is what I learned. I can gaurantee that the next time will be a lot different. Still may not win, but definitely have better races![/b]
I couldnt get the wife to let me take it and mount it on the trailer wall... go figure. She wants to stay home and watch our grand daughter.

She will be going with me the 10-18th.

Anyway hope to put on 1500 - 2500 miles over the next 3+ weeks. I hope it will be worth the wait. :beer_cheers:

·
Banned
252 Posts
GLAD TO HEAR YOU GOT THE BUG !!!!!!!!!!!!! NOW PLEASE SPREAD THIS HIGHLY CONTAGIOUS BUG AROUND MORE. WOW, after all that help and setup your friggin running on ice without studs????????????? This changes everything, and you might as well run your sled without oil and add water into the gas. Since its just a matter of time before a REAL hard rider sees something catastrophic without studs. Clutching and roll out will be completely different, since the load you will put on your drivetrain is only a fraction of what some studs will do. You can thro something awfully huge on it for helix, since your goal is to eliminate SPIN the quickest way you can,. Along with a larger than normal helix an abnormally soft spring is necessary as well. Since the faster you shift the higher the gear you are in you are putting less torque to the ground, just like starting your car off in second gear to eliminate spin on slippery roads. The only problem with this is if your track is very inconsistent in traction and how it loads the track. Lets say if you have ice on the start but nice wet hardpack 100' out this kinda setup will kill the rpms as soon as you hit the hardpack, as it will have overshifted and not be able to backshift once you get traction and load the motor. can you run studs ??????

·
Registered
150 Posts
Running with studs in these races bumps you right to Pro-stock and you have to have the rear in-closed. Here in Alberta there are only a few ice drags which are bare ice this was snow drags and normally you do not run studs unless you are Pro Stock which will only help if you get a couple of lanes which were packed. From what I hear the track was built weeks ago hence the hardness of the track. Many had problems in lanes 1 and 2 but over all thats the way it goes some times. Snow drags change every race every place consistency is hard to get where as ice is very consistent. Overall the weekend went great we made it to the semi finals but in the end we ended up getting lanes 1 and two with or King snow sled loosing traction in lane 3 disopointing but someone had to get those lanes. Sleds we had were 04 Nightfire F7, 03 Yami 700 Viper (Ran the best it has ever run) , 05 Rev 800 and 01 ZR800(1010) Nos .........super weekend great weather lats of fast sleds.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeavyHitter @ Jan 23 2007, 11:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Running with studs in these races bumps you right to Pro-stock and you have to have the rear in-closed. Here in Alberta there are only a few ice drags which are bare ice this was snow drags and normally you do not run studs unless you are Pro Stock which will only help if you get a couple of lanes which were packed. From what I hear the track was built weeks ago hence the hardness of the track. Many had problems in lanes 1 and 2 but over all thats the way it goes some times. Snow drags change every race every place consistency is hard to get where as ice is very consistent. Overall the weekend went great we made it to the semi finals but in the end we ended up getting lanes 1 and two with or King snow sled loosing traction in lane 3 disopointing but someone had to get those lanes. Sleds we had were 04 Nightfire F7, 03 Yami 700 Viper (Ran the best it has ever run) , 05 Rev 800 and 01 ZR800(1010) Nos .........super weekend great weather lats of fast sleds.[/b]
Yeah, and lucky me got lane 1 for the 600 and lane 2 for the 700. Weather was good and some of those sleds were just amazing.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well it looks like I might have a chance to redeem myself. February 18th at Alberta Beach. Sno-Mo Days snow drags. Bring it on!!!! Clap Rockerdude :sledder:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
i got blowed the first time i ever raced my snopro
on my first race i smoked a rev 440 by 100ft
second i smoked a another older ski doo
third i was up against a nice brand new rev with 200+ studs
when i got 96 and knew i needed a great start so i get the best holeshot in the world (and this is human judged like yours)
and blow it away and when i get back to the start everyone is yelling at the official because the official said i red lighted
and every one else said i was right on and the rev was sleeping and one person even had it on video tape
but i would have been a whole different story if i hadent blown him away but half the track

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got to see a video of my ZR race and it turns out the Firecat beside me got flagged for jumping the light. I didn't even notice if others got flagged. I just zipped back to the truck without checking. If another got flagged, then maybe I actually placed. Another lesson learned.

·
Registered
85 Posts
lets see your video zrrr. well for me i sold my crossfire have a ext now f7 wife said i don't need 2 sleds to drag race. tryed to tell her notto sell it but she did anyway. bang your head well i did go racing too in cole bay sask. they said anything goes so i put on my ypipe and stinger. :super_happy: the track was very icey too so i had my buddy who is 250 + drive my sled and he did pretty good Rockerdude he came in second in900 imprved and 1st in1000 stock Not worthy:

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xf-racer @ Jan 27 2007, 05:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
lets see your video zrrr. well for me i sold my crossfire have a ext now f7 wife said i don't need 2 sleds to drag race. tryed to tell her notto sell it but she did anyway. bang your head well i did go racing too in cole bay sask. they said anything goes so i put on my ypipe and stinger. :super_happy: the track was very icey too so i had my buddy who is 250 + drive my sled and he did pretty good Rockerdude he came in second in900 imprved and 1st in1000 stock Not worthy:[/b]
Nice!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
We dont use studds either,but we use splitted snowmobiletracks (50ft) in all lanes,so it will be no changes in the startarea. But no studs,and hopefully no ice during the day..
Stockers(800) runs 6,7-7,7
pro-stockers runs 6,3-7,2
Fuelers runs 5,7-6,5

You just have to clutch to get tracktion. Lower your rpm in the start..

pic of our starting area

http://www.team-alta.com/index.php?option=...ey=44&hit=1

1 - 20 of 21 Posts