Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd share a pic of my moose hunt this past weekend, about an hour west of Thunder Bay ON. I dropped this bull from about 60 yards, and used my new 550 AC to haul it out. But I think I may be screwed now that my cat got it's first taste of blood.

Attachments

·
Registered
429 Posts
i dont think he would want to mount that one

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
i'm thinkin it takes more than one trip to haul a moose out.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
i've always heard shot placement is critictal for a moose.

you wanna shoot it right behind the truck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This moose even though it has a small rack still weighed close to 800 lbs. We quartered it first than hauled it out, although the quad would have moved it no problem.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Nice moose. Even the little ones are big. Looks like a great freezer bull. My son and I are BBQ'ing a moose steak right now.

I have pulled a few out whole (field dressed) with the 500. I had to drag one about 75 yards across a pond this year and it did great other than the rack hanging up a little on some roots on the near shore. If you can get them up tight to the rear of the bike so the head is suspended when you drag it they come out pretty easy. Sometimes we have to get some weight on the front of the bike but it works out. I shot a small bull this fall and was able to pull it up into a tree with a snatch block. My brother shot a monster and I could drag it on flat ground but couldn't get it into the tree to hang. Had to use a jeep.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts