Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

My 700 diesel quad is not getting top speed

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Wallamatogus 
#1 ·
Hi can someone help please I’ve got a 700 diesel its not getting high revs or top speed so I’ve serviced the bike a slight improvement now it’s averaging 20-26mph but that’s it the injectors are fine I’ve tweaked the valves cleaned out the muffler so what it is it’s getting up to 44mph when I lift the back wheels of the ground but when it’s being rode it’s going 20-26mph so I’ve took the side casing off to access the variater and when in neutral it revs heigh and the belt goes all the way to the top and when in high with the wheels of the floor it reaching high revs and speeds over 40mph but when it’s on the ground in high range it’s not getting high revs and the belt isn’t getting all the way to the top of the variater. So if you any ideas it’ll be great thanks in advance

#2 ·
Jay, just out of curiosity, how fast does it go in Low range? My 2008 has the 4300 rpm governor spring and actually will go at least 30 mph in Lo range. Don't know if you have already turned in the "locked torque screw" , but as they come from the factory, the power level is set very low. Before, I installed my turbocharger, I had that screw screwed in all the way and it did make a big difference in power, but it would black smoke at wot and my EGT's would slowly rise to 1250F+ under heavy load.The CVT is completely different than the ones on the gas models. When I did the turbo, I read a long thread here by Matt Whitbread and I followed his suggestion on "reclocking" the secondary. Seemed to help low speed engagement. Does sound like a CVT issue with your machine. Still curious as how it performs in Low range, should accelerate to about 30 mph relatively quickly. Perhaps post in the "general ATV forum" as the Diesel forum is not read by as many folks ?

#3 ·
Hello thanks for getting back to me again! It’s reaching the same speed in low 20-24mph I have turned that screw in and out but still not much better do you think it could be the timing that is out as it’s reaching top speed without a load but not when it’s got a load on ?

#4 ·
Jay, the more that I think of it, I think it may be the clutch, but injection timing is fairly easy to advance. I would say, look up an old thread by Matt Whitbread on turbocharging. A lot of good info regarding setting the timing, reclocking the secondary, adjusting the "screw", etc. But try advancing the injection timing maybe 5 degrees, if it makes a big difference, that is the answer. I really don't know how the timing could get out, or the clutch, but stuff happens. Like I said, in Low range, it should pull strong up to maybe 30 mph. I would leave off front plastics until you sort it out. I seem to remember that advancing the timing up to 15 degrees, before turbocharging and maxing the fuel screw made it pretty snappy, ok, wrong term, but not a slug. Advancing the timing too much made it "clack" louder, as I remember. I run it only about 5 degrees advanced over stock, now. Turbo made it quieter and much quicker to about 35, maybe 40. 40 to 50 mph, still takes a long while. If you max out fuel screw and have injection spot on or advanced a mite, you should get some nice black smoke. 1 other thing, make sure the throttle actually opens all the way! You will figure it out!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.