Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 06 a/c 650 v2 is a little cold natured . i can flip the choke and it will fire up just fine and after 5-10 secs i can turn the choke off and she purrs like a kitten. the only thing is that it doesnt want to accept any throttle till its warmed up. i can let it idle for a minute or two and its fine . after it warms up ,its perfectly fine.
for example . i can fire it up in the morning and ride it around for 10 mins or so and shut it off and i can go back in the afternoon say about 5-6 hrs later and i have to warm it up again for a min before it will take any throttle .

when i first bought it a few months ago, i adjusted the valves and rebuilt the carbs and cleaned/lubed the choke plungers.

is this normal for the 650 v2's ?

im use to my other atvs firing right up and being some what responsive even when cold.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
my 06 a/c 650 v2 is a little cold natured . i can flip the choke and it will fire up just fine and after 5-10 secs i can turn the choke off and she purrs like a kitten. the only thing is that it doesnt want to accept any throttle till its warmed up. i can let it idle for a minute or two and its fine . after it warms up ,its perfectly fine.
for example . i can fire it up in the morning and ride it around for 10 mins or so and shut it off and i can go back in the afternoon say about 5-6 hrs later and i have to warm it up again for a min before it will take any throttle .

when i first bought it a few months ago, i adjusted the valves and rebuilt the carbs and cleaned/lubed the choke plungers.

is this normal for the 650 v2's ?

im use to my other atvs firing right up and being some what responsive even when cold.

Ive seen this complaint several times on V2's so I've considered it normal. The same issue is often found on the 700 EFI Suzuki based engines.

On the V2 you can help the cold blooded nature of the beast by opening each PMS screw on the carbs approximately 1/8-1/4 turn

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not that bad but I'm just use to my honda Forman . I could fire it right up with no choke and it would take throttle right away.
This is my first vtwin. My buddies bruteforce seems to do the same thing.
Like I said . If I let it idle for a min , it fine. My only complaint is how it doesn't like any throttle till its warm. It starts very easy with the choke and I can turn the choke off after 2-5 seconds and it idles very smooth.
I guess it's normal . I may turn the idle/air screw out 1/8 of a turn.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Mine is sometimes the same on start up. But 5+ minutes seems a bit excessive. Usually my throttle response is only diminished for a minute or two.

·
Premium Member
4,547 Posts
I think being a little cold natured is normal. However It can't be that cold in TN. Full choke to start, but don't turn it off right away. Leave it on or partially on so you can give it some throttle. I don't think I have needed the choke on for 5min even in sub zero weather.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I only have to choke it for maybe 2-5 seconds at most.
It just doesn't like any throttle till it idles for about 2 mins then its fine.
It doesn't matter if its 20degrees out or 80 it starts right up with choke on and I can turn the choke of after 2-5 seconds and it idles smooth ,it just doesn't like any throttle till its warn which takes 1-2 mins .after that it will pull the front wheels off the ground with no problem.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i turned the idle/air screws out 1/2 of a turn from the stock setting and it will now start with no choke . i let it sit over night and i tried starting it this morning while it was cold . it fired right up with out the choke and idled very smooth. it still has to idle for a min before it will take throttle but i guess thats the nature of the beast . im going to ride it this evning and see if the adjustments i made are going to have any effects on the throttle response .

thanks for all the help

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
i turned the idle/air screws out 1/2 of a turn from the stock setting and it will now start with no choke . i let it sit over night and i tried starting it this morning while it was cold . it fired right up with out the choke and idled very smooth. it still has to idle for a min before it will take throttle but i guess thats the nature of the beast . im going to ride it this evning and see if the adjustments i made are going to have any effects on the throttle response .

thanks for all the help
1/2 turn could be too much and you might foul plugs during extended idle. Check the plug color. Then again if your PMS screws were way too lean to began with 1/2 turn maybe just right. Have you done any kind of intake or exhaust mods? With mods 1/2 turn may not be enough. The PMS screws are adjustable for a reason. All engines do not require the same amount of fuel at idle. The factory just sets them to a set number of turn out and puts it in the crate, The factory setting may close but not ideal for your engine at your altitude. And kind of engine, intake or exhaust mods may require more PMS and/or a change of fixed jetting.

What do you call cold? Tennessee cold could be a lot different than Wyoming cold. For instance as i type this it is 32 degrees outside and snowing at 9:00 am this morning. On a cold morning a properly adjusted PMS probably should require a little choke. However how cold are we talking? A lot of cats will start fine with no choke if the temp is around 40-50 degrees or warmer. The warmer it is, the less choke will be needed. Varies a little. When it starts getting to around 30 or colder it may require a lot of choke for a longer period

The Choke is not really a choke on the Keihin carburetor. It is an enrichment valve, not an air choke. When the choke lever is on, it opens a valve and dumps in extra fuel through what is called a starter jet. The starter jet is about 70% as large as a main jet so it is capable of dumping in a lot of extra fuel if the cold engine needs it to run. You can even use the choke at full throttle if a person wanted too. LOL

There is no reason to turn it off in 2-5 seconds if the engine is cold and running and not taking good throttle. You can leave the choke on until it fully warmed up.

You may find if you close the PMS screws a little and use the choke longer or until the engine warms up

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my cat stays inside my heated garage which stays around 69 degrees all year round. my quad is all stock except the dynatek cdi.
ive rebuilt the carbs ,cleaned and lubed the choke plungers and ive adjusted my valves .
when i talk about starting it up cold ,im talking about the engine being completly cooled off,like setting over night .

after i turned the the idle/air screws out ,i noticed a defferance instantly . i checked it again today at lunch . now i can let it idle for about 30-60 secs and it will accept throttle were as before i t had to idle for 1-1/2 -2 mins before it would take any throttle.
my carbs were set at the stock setting which i think was 1-1/4 front and 1-1/2 back. now they are 1-3/4 and 2 . ill check my plug color when i get a chance.

i could understand having to use my choke/enrinchment valve if the quad had set out in freezing temps or if it had set for weeks. it only sets for maybe a day or 2 in between uses.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
my cat stays inside my heated garage which stays around 69 degrees all year round. my quad is all stock except the dynatek cdi.
ive rebuilt the carbs ,cleaned and lubed the choke plungers and ive adjusted my valves .
when i talk about starting it up cold ,im talking about the engine being completly cooled off,like setting over night .

after i turned the the idle/air screws out ,i noticed a difference instantly . i checked it again today at lunch . now i can let it idle for about 30-60 secs and it will accept throttle were as before i t had to idle for 1-1/2 -2 mins before it would take any throttle.
my carbs were set at the stock setting which i think was 1-1/4 front and 1-1/2 back. now they are 1-3/4 and 2 . ill check my plug color when i get a chance.

i could understand having to use my choke/enrichment valve if the quad had set out in freezing temps or if it had set for weeks. it only sets for maybe a day or 2 in between uses.
That is all sounding good and normal. You may of hit the sweet spot on the pms adjustments. Do not be afraid to use the choke if your engine needs it, All it does is dump in extra fuel and does not impede air flow like a air choke does. However too much choking will lead to fouled plugs because of the overly rich mixture. My wife will do that on the H1, Forgets to shut if off for hours. LOL

Air chokes are of the ones commonly found on your lawn mower. They close off air flow through the venturi causing the engine vacuum to suck up additional gas.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks .

i told you wrong on my adjustments . my stock adjustment was
2-1/4 front and 2-1/2 in the rear according to the manual. its now set at 2-3/4 front and 3 on the rear. it starts easiest at these settings.

do you think that is ok or do you think it maybe too rich?

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
thanks .

i told you wrong on my adjustments . my stock adjustment was
2-1/4 front and 2-1/2 in the rear according to the manual. its now set at 2-3/4 front and 3 on the rear. it starts easiest at these settings.

do you think that is ok or do you think it maybe too rich?
That is a question I cannot answer from here. From your description its sounding pretty good though. Plug chops, looking for signs of a fouling plugs or actual A/F ratio measurement is the only way that can be answered. Sometimes you just have to be there to see it, feel it and smell it. Those senses are not equipped on ones finger tips on a keyboard.

The thread "jetting 101" in the pinned section has some info in it that may help. Also a long enough thread to cure insomnia >grin>

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
For cold starting what I do is choke it for only a few seconds then I set the idle a little higher via the adjustment for the cable. I find on cold starts she don't like to idle on her own and its worse with any choke applied. I don't raise the idle much maybe a few hundred rpms. It's tuned right because I hAve a wideband kit installed and the AFR's are where there supposed to be. I'm sure I could adjust the PMS screw but it's overall tuned where she likes it and I don't want to mess with the PMS screw so adjusting the idle works great for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.