Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a 95 EXT EFI and it has a new battery, a rewound stator by Kev. a nice blue spark on both cyls., both injectors click when I ground the terminals at the ecu plug and it has plenty of fuel flow??? It also has no codes flashing on the ecu, just the one blink.
I thought it was fuel since it has good spark but it won't even putt on starting fluid.
I took it out a couple of weeks ago and ran it up and down a road to test the clutching changes I made and it ran perfect! I shut it off for 15 minutes and when I restarted it up it would only idle and then bog out when I tried to rev it up then after a minute of that it finally revved up and seemed fine so I loaded it in the trailer, the next weekend I tried to start it and it will not start, it has always started right up hot or cold.
It does try the 1st. time I pull the rope it will try to run for like 3 seconds and die after that you can pull your arm off and it will not putt! Let it sit for 5 minutes and pull the rope it tries to run for the 3 seconds again but won't catch and it will only do it that one time unless I let it sit for a few?
I drained the tank dry and changed the fuel, ohmed the stator, the injector trigger, timing sensor and the primary coil, it's all seems good and like I said it has a nice blue spark for as long I you want to pull the rope. Why won't it start or even try to start if I spray ether in the spark plug holes? Any ideas???

Thanks.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No ideas? That's okay cause I've run out of them too!
I have a box of spare parts from the other sled that I used to put this one together with last year. they both ran but this one was in better condition, anyway I have now bypassed the TSS, swapped the cdi box, timing and injector sensors, coil, ecu with injectors even though each of these parts ohmed out good.
I swapped them one at a time with the exception of the ecu and inj. tried to start the sled and put the original part back on with the same result. The first time I pull the rope it fires before the rope is even half way out and dies within a second or two after that it will not fire again no matter how many times you pull the rope, let it sit for a few minutes and it will fire again deja-vu.
I also tried leaving one spark plug out and started it to so if the spark went away, it didn't it fired on the other cly. and this one sparked until the eng. stopped turning over. I'm lost anyone else?

·
Registered
9,583 Posts
You've swapped out a lot of parts and still no luck. I think you have weak fuel pressure from either a weak pump or a bad fuel pressure regulator. You do hear your pump cycle when you turn key to ON, don't you?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes that was in my first post, I don't have a gauge but it has plenty of flow and enough pressure to open the fuel regulator and plenty of flow once it opens. The bigger question here is why won't it fire if I dribble gas in the spark plug holes or fire on ether?

·
Registered
9,583 Posts
I got nothing unless you have next to nothing for compression. Do you know what it is?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea it's good, I rode this sled 6.6 miles to check the clutching three weeks ago. It rips! Well it did :(

·
Registered
9,583 Posts
One last kick at the cat, no pun intended. How 'bout a good ground to engine block which is usually at the pull start housing.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, I cleaned that all up when I replaced the stator. I've also rechecked the grounds behind the ecu. The only stone I feel like I have left unturned is the tps, the resistance is a little high but not much. I don't have the tool to reset the idle position so my other option would be to swap out the entire throttle body assm. and I'm getting burned out on this sled right now.

·
Registered
9,583 Posts
Can you not just change TPS. Years ago I did on my 93 Pantera without any issue and it's not serviceable. It was rusty inside. I was able to adjust it to proper throttle position readings then tighten the screws. Original screws were filled with some type of filler.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I know you said you have good spark and a good battery, but I would check out the battery again. Put a charger on it and see if the sled starts with the charger hooked up. That sled will not run without a fully charged battery. If that gets the sled to start, start looking at the charging system.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
So when you pull the plugs out are they wet? Have you checked your timing? Since it won't fire with dumping fuel directly into it and you have spark it almost has to be the timing is off. You did put the key back in when you replaced the stator didn't you? If the plugs are dry, pop an injector out and turn it over to check for fuel spray.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I agree about the battery. Even if it is new, if it has one bad cell the sled won't like that at all. My dealer charged me $230 in labor years ago to just tell me my battery had a bad cell in my 580​

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
The battery EFI's were always known to be very sensitive to battery condition. Even batteries that test OK can be not liked by the sled ECU and cause starting and running problems. Try another battery, because is sounds like you have fuel, compression and spark, so it should run.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The battery was my first thought and I replaced it, I even had it on a charger yesterday, it's 12.5v. The next thing I changed was the stator, the key never came out of the crank. I had the stator from my parts sled rewound because the stator the one in this sled tested a little low @ 430 something but it didn't change anything.
I thought about the timing but it's not adjustable and controlled by the ecu.
I did get a gauge to check the fuel pressure tonight and it's 32psi. on the regulator, my book says it should be 36.2 so I capped it off and the pump pushes 60psi. this way so I reconnected it to the fuel rail and pinched the return hose to hold at 50psi. when the pump is running so when I pull the rope it goes to 50 then drops to 30 when the pump stops then back up to 50 each time I pull the rope but it still wont start and btw the plugs are always wet always have been? That's the part I don't get. I have good compression, fresh fuel and good spark but it wont run not even on ether. I feel that even if the timing was off it should backfire or something?
Tonight before I touched any thing I turned on the key and pulled the rope as soon as the fuel pump stopped and it started kind of, for a second and a half just like it has been.
I think the ecu is bad or the chip and I found a dealer that has the diag. tool to test them but he is 100 miles away.
I'm not sure about my spare ecu since I only heard the sled it came off of run once when I bought it and now that I think about it, it had the same symptom, spark and wet plugs but wouldn't restart and the owner stated that it had this intermittent problem where it would start after sitting for a while but since I bought it for parts I didn't try to figure it out and it never did start for me again I just stripped it.
I was hoping that someone else had seen this problem.

·
Registered
282 Posts
It's a 95 EXT EFI and it has a new battery, a rewound stator by Kev. a nice blue spark on both cyls., both injectors click when I ground the terminals at the ecu plug and it has plenty of fuel flow??? It also has no codes flashing on the ecu, just the one blink.
I thought it was fuel since it has good spark but it won't even putt on starting fluid.
I took it out a couple of weeks ago and ran it up and down a road to test the clutching changes I made and it ran perfect! I shut it off for 15 minutes and when I restarted it up it would only idle and then bog out when I tried to rev it up then after a minute of that it finally revved up and seemed fine so I loaded it in the trailer, the next weekend I tried to start it and it will not start, it has always started right up hot or cold.
It does try the 1st. time I pull the rope it will try to run for like 3 seconds and die after that you can pull your arm off and it will not putt! Let it sit for 5 minutes and pull the rope it tries to run for the 3 seconds again but won't catch and it will only do it that one time unless I let it sit for a few?
I drained the tank dry and changed the fuel, ohmed the stator, the injector trigger, timing sensor and the primary coil, it's all seems good and like I said it has a nice blue spark for as long I you want to pull the rope. Why won't it start or even try to start if I spray ether in the spark plug holes? Any ideas???

Thanks.
I had the exact same sled.
Occasionally if it didn't start right away at first it would flood.
Would not start at all unless it was left to sit for along time / sometimes overnight.
Where it is efi I was thinking after getting stranded at Camp with no start issue hmmmm what happens if I pull the fuse for the fuel pump and then try and start it ????
Did this and it started right up/ran for a few seconds and died. Obviously fuel that was in base burned off . Put fuse back in and started right up and ran as normal. I had to do this occasinally during 3 years I owned it. Bud had another 580 efi and same issue . Did the fuse removal trick and started right up.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was skeptical but I have to say that Mr. ZRT900 you are my hero!:) I pulled the fuel pump fuse and it started on the 1st. pull, I can't believe how long it ran with no pump. I did put the fuse back in so it could run long enough to clear it's self out and as soon as the smoke clears out of my garage I will go back out and see if it will start on it's own.
I knew that there had to be someone out there that has had this problem before.
Thank you!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So i went back out and pulled the rope, it started just like it always has before so I put my meter on the battery to answer the charging system question. 14.3v at idle, it does drop to 13.4 when I rev it up a little but I don't think that explains my intermittent idles fine but won't rev condition. I'm hoping the new stator will solve that one. Thanks again now it's time to take it to the park for a test drive since it snowed 8" here the night before last.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bad news, it started and died again so I pulled the fp fuse and got it to start that way, this time I let run until it was completely warmed up, shut it off to get dressed for my ride in the park and when I came back out it started and died after a few seconds and wouldn't restart. I tried pulling the fp fuse and it started and ran the fuel out, replaced the fuse and it just started and died again, won't restart so I'm back to the ecm. Thanks again, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I noticed that you had your Stator rewound.
Personally I have had little luck with one particular Stator Co in Canada .( 3 duds in a row ) Cost me a lot of time and all of my NOS spare electronic parts( cdi/coils/voltage regulater etc) to diagnose what I really had was a bad run of stators. Then the last straw was one that was "tested and ran fine on our TCAT race sled" they sent me had spark but no lighting coil. Sled started right up but had dimmmmmm headlight.

Not trying to say ALL remans are bad BUT please make sure your rewound stator is doing what it should. The duds I had would test fine with ohm test but not on sled. Pipes on / Pipes off became the mantra in my Garage for awhile.

I did have to replace the ecm on my EXT before I went to a triple and if I recall correctly any of that era ecm will work ie 700 Wildcate etc as long as you change to your stock chip. My ecm was flashing the error code saying it was NFG. I was able to pick up a NOS one that local dealer had bought to diagnose some FI sleds they had w issues.
Best I can think of w/o being there to test at the sled myself.

What if any error codes are flashing on the ECM ??
Been too long to remember but just do a search on HCS( Hard Core Sledder) for year of sled and diagnostic chart for ECM. There is a lil light that flashes and based on long or short flashes will tell you quite a bit without the expensive AC scan tool that most dealers didn't buy.
Not bashing Arctic Chat but seems more valuable info is available on HCS in my opinion.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's not flashing any codes, it just does the one blink when I turn the key on and that is suppose to mean everything is okay! LOL!
I found a ecm on ebay with a blue dot just like mine and it's on the way, for the price I felt like it's worth a shot since the closest shop to me with the diag. tool for the ecm is 100 miles away.
I will let you know if it works. Thanks

1 - 20 of 31 Posts