Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2006 400 4x4 automatic
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was running well, and I shut it off. Tried to start it an hour later, and it turned over, but wouldn’t crank. It has spark, and there’s fuel in the tank. Where do I start on repair? This is my first AC.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Check your fuses and make sure that you didn't hit the kill switch. Next, check the flywheel for magnets coming off. I believe 2003-2006 Suzukis and Cat 400 were prone to flywheel magnets coming loose with age. Search youtube for a fix if that is the case.

·
Registered
2006 400 4x4 automatic
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve checked the fuses and the kill switch, and they’re gtg. Fuel tank has fuel. I tried a shot of starting fluid in the airbox, and runs for a few seconds. The air filter is rotten, and tears apart when I remove it. I bought it cheap as a project, but I’m afraid I’ve gotten in over my head.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Ok, that's actually good. I think you've narrowed it down to fuel delivery! Pull the fuel line off carburetor and see if you have good flow. If that checks out, you will need to take apart the carburetor and clean and blow out all jets. Might be a good time to install a Dynojet kit. If you don't feel ready to tear into the carburetor, perhaps find an old motorcycle or ATV mechanic to show you. It's really simple though!

·
Registered
2006 400 4x4 automatic
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the airbox off, and now I can access the carb. Found a rotten and broken vacuum line that runs from the carb to the fuel pump. There’s another slightly larger line coming from the carb that’s not attached to anything but the carb. The other end is hanging, and has a broken black plastic fitting of some sort. I’ll take some pictures tomorrow and maybe y’all can help me figure it out.

·
Registered
2006 400 4x4 automatic
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I’m hoping y’all can tell me exactly which model I have. Only thing I know is it’s a 400 with automatic transmission. Exhaust and engine appear to be stock. 2006 year model.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

·
Administrator
40,392 Posts
That broken line goes to the intak boot between carb and engine. You will need a new intake boot.

Reactions: 303hunter

·
Administrator
40,392 Posts
If it has independent suspension it is a 2006 400 FIS

·
Registered
12,642 Posts
Looking at the rear wheel offset, yours is an independent rear suspension model.

·
Registered
12,642 Posts
It’s a 400 auto FIS Cat Green. Country cat . Com has parts info and service manuals. Manuals are under technical information at top of home page.

·
Administrator
40,392 Posts
It’s supposed to go up into the pod. It is an atmospheric vent for the carb. It doesn’t connect to anything.
Is there part of it cut ?

·
Registered
2006 400 4x4 automatic
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It’s supposed to go up into the pod. It is an atmospheric vent for the carb. It doesn’t connect to anything.
Is there part of it cut ?
It appears to have a small cut on the end. It was just laying there when I removed the air box.

·
Registered
2006 400 4x4 automatic
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just replaced the vacuum line from fuel pump to carb, and it still doesn’t start. Placed my hand over the back of the carb(like a choke), and it sputtered for a couple seconds, but didn’t start.

Then I removed the gas line from the fuel pump and hit the start button. No fuel is coming from the pump. I’m guessing I need a fuel pump.

·
Administrator
40,392 Posts
Take the line off the pump that goes to the tank and see if you can draw fuel from the tank.

·
Administrator
40,392 Posts
Just replaced the vacuum line from fuel pump to carb, and it still doesn’t start. Placed my hand over the back of the carb(like a choke), and it sputtered for a couple seconds, but didn’t start.

Then I removed the gas line from the fuel pump and hit the start button. No fuel is coming from the pump. I’m guessing I need a fuel pump.
Was the vacuum line to the intake port hooked up when you tried that ?

·
Administrator
40,392 Posts
I’m pretty sure the vacuum line goes to the intake port. The one that goes up to pod goes to the other port on the carb.

·
Registered
2006 400 4x4 automatic
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I’m pretty sure the vacuum line goes to the intake port. The one that goes up to pod goes to the other port on the carb.
The vacuum line was replaced from the fuel pump to the intake port, and it was attached when I tried to start it. I’ll check the line to the tank tomorrow. I got enough line to replace it too.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts