Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a son who has a 78 Arctic Cat Pantera. Its a Free Air. He started the sled up the other day. It sat and idled for a few minutes in the front yard. He got on it to ride it over to the garage. The throttle stuck wide OPEN. He fell off as it bounced off of a tree. The sled shot out into the road. It traveled about a 1/4 mile up the road. It hit a pine tree at the next door nieghors house. The sled was traveling at about 65 m.p.h. It hit the tree and flew about 40 feet in the air. It landed on the track and shut off.

It hit the tree so hard it bent the front spindle into the clutch and stalled the motor. The nighor stood in the front yard watching the hole thing..... :oops:

He thought it was pretty funny.... :thumbsup:

I can only picture in my head what this must have looked like!!!!!

·
Read Only
0 Posts
ok im not going to lie, but that sounds funny. At least a human didnt get hurt to bad, as for the sled and the tree. i think they need a doctor !!

·
Premium Member
6,107 Posts
Glad no one was hurt. I have seen this before many times on the older sleds.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
heak that just happend to me with my 03 snopro goin down the ditch stuck wide oppen didnt know what to do so i jumped of and it was right in front of a road it could have cleared the road if it was 100ft wide even with the motor shut off

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoprokf @ Feb 22 2007, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
heak that just happend to me with my 03 snopro goin down the ditch stuck wide oppen didnt know what to do so i jumped of and it was right in front of a road it could have cleared the road if it was 100ft wide even with the motor shut off[/b]
Next time hit the kill switch and then hit the brake. ;) :chug:

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
Ouch !. Things actually can happen for some strange reasons. Glad your son jumped off and saved himself from possible injuries inflicted from the runaway sled. You as a dad gotta feel very fortunate that he survived. Thanks for sharing...

ACBOY09, It ain't funny at all. Keep the funny side to yourself and give this guy and his son your support, Ok.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My son didn't want to tell me what happened. At first I think I was in Shock..... eekkk

As well as I know the nieghor he must have been really laughing. you would have to know the guy to understand. Im glad it all turned out well in the end.

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
Just went through having my son hit something (me) glad to hear that your son is ok, nothing funny about it you worry no matter what.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ArcticBoy @ Feb 22 2007, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ouch !. Things actually can happen for some strange reasons. Glad your son jumped off and saved himself from possible injuries inflicted from the runaway sled. You as a dad gotta feel very fortunate that he survived. Thanks for sharing...

ACBOY09, It ain't funny at all. Keep the funny side to yourself and give this guy and his son your support, Ok.[/b]
did you notice the part where his kid jumped off ?? the sled went down the road 1/4 of mile, that would be the funny. ghost ridding. Believe me i am happy and glade nobody got hurt or anything to serious, but come on if you seen a snowmobile going down the road about 1/4 of mile with nobody on it, i think you would be laughing.

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
NO actually..................... I would be thinking were the rider is and how to STOP it before it hits someone or something. But thats me.

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ACBOY09 @ Feb 22 2007, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
did you notice the part where his kid jumped off ?? the sled went down the road 1/4 of mile, that would be the funny. ghost ridding. Believe me i am happy and glade nobody got hurt or anything to serious, but come on if you seen a snowmobile going down the road about 1/4 of mile with nobody on it, i think you would be laughing.[/b]
If it was planned as in 'fun' with bunch of friends...Yes, I'd be laughing, but with Dan's cherished son being so lucky to be alive and not hurt. BTW, You do not dare to decide for me on which part I should be laughing here or there. Lastly, It's not a laughing matter for whatsoever reason. End of the story.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dadszr @ Feb 22 2007, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
NO actually..................... I would be thinking were the rider is and how to STOP it before it hits someone or something. But thats me.[/b]
Amen !. That's a very normal response from a real snowmobiler like you. Not worthy: :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
Dan, I'm so glad to hear your son and no one else was hurt!

Sleds or any damages they cause to other stuff is cheap when compared to flesh & blood... No amount of money can replace people or undo injuries people live with for a lifetime.

I guess a kill lanyard might make a great birthday gift or stocking stuffer in the future!

:chug:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jeff H @ Feb 22 2007, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I will not ride without my tether hooked up, nor will any sled I own be without one.[/b]
i agree

i think all sleds should be sold with a teather weather you like it or not (it could save lifes) a safet reason

·
Registered
116 Posts
We can laugh about it now because no one got hurt. I think situations like that what else can you do but laugh it off, freaking out about it is not going to help anything just be glad everyone is ok and try not to make the same mistake again. As they say, it happens!. I will remember to watch out for flying snowmobiles when i go out to get the mail. Tethers are a good idea. I think all ski doos come with them. I have one on my quad for racing but most of the time don't even wear it. When i started racing I wore it all the time and quickly learned why all the other racers don't even hook it on, it is unpractical you need to get off your quad and branches and junk get caught on it. I usually just wear it for the starts. But for sleds frozen throttles can be a problem.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can remember when I was a kid. This was about 1975. A friend of my Dads got on his 1971 Yamaha GP 440. He started the sled up and it took off. He rode it wide open up the road till it warmed up completly. I remember it kinda scared me when I was a kid.

Im glad I wasn't home for this stunt. I tend to not have a good sense of humor about these kinds of things. The sled was an almost mint 76 Pantera F/A. This is the exact reason why the new sleds have throttle sensors that will sense a frozen cable.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Glad to hear no one was hurt. Imagine your child walking out from their home and being run down by a runaway sled! :eek:

Thanks for the post. I'm gonna invest in a tether this week.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The older stuff can be tricky also, I once had a freind with an old snow jet,he need a thottle cable I am like I can fix that for you, so I put in a new one but didnt know I didnt leave it long enough, he went to turn couldnt make the turn ,so jumped of and turned the skis to drag the front end over, well when he did this it pinned the throttle and pinned him to a tree, I felt so bad running over to him to kill the sled! we laugh about it now being many years ago, back in high school days! He didnt get hurt but could have really been hurt bad! I have quit being to much of a sled Tech since then!
I quit working on them to much for everyones saftey! Lmao!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts