Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 mudpro 700 with 1450 miles on it, before i went for a ride i went for a walk around the bike and noticed im leaking oil from my diff, the oil residue is only on the right side of the diff case and about axle height, has anyone herd of this problem, thaughts or opioions on what it could be? The case seems to look good no cracks, I dont think its the seal where the cases split, ideas? Also it drained all my oil in my diff, nothing left!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have a 2012 mudpro 700 with 1450 miles on it, before i went for a ride i went for a walk around the bike and noticed im leaking oil from my diff, the oil residue is only on the right side of the diff case and about axle height, has anyone herd of this problem, thaughts or opioions on what it could be? The case seems to look good no cracks, I dont think its the seal where the cases split, ideas? Also it drained all my oil in my diff, nothing left!
More Than Likely an axle seal where the axles goes in it is common problem on my 08 there cheap and pretty easy to put in about 7 dollars is what I pay for the seal

·
Administrator
42,248 Posts
2012. Still have warranty?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking the same thing with axle seal, still has warrenty but usually if not a big job ill do it myself and save the hassel of going down there with the quad. Would a seal be covered under warrenty though, would they consider that a wearable part?

·
Registered
751 Posts
The Arctic Cats use a double lip seal. The inner seal rides on the shaft and the outer seal rides against the cup that covers the shaft out put area.

Dirt and mud will get jammed in the outer cup, force the seal open and the the dirt gets against the inner seal and it start leaking.

Usually a good cleaning will let it reseal. But, you have to remove the shaft to do the cleaning. Most people replace the seal just not to do the job twice.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the knowledge, ill end up doing all the seals in the diff, no point in only doing 1 seal espically if there only ten bucks or so, thanks

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Yes, seals are covered under warranty. Even my extended plan covers all seals/rubber. I've had engine mounts and seals covered on mine.

But yeah, for a simple axle seal or cv boot I do it myself.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Have you had any further issues after replacing the seals? I have a 2012 700 TRV and a friend has a 2012 450 4x4 with 2 leaking and I have replaced ALL for seals before 200 miles and then at 400 all 4 are leaking again. Was wandering if anyone has seen or heard of any issues. Thank you.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Have you had any further issues after replacing the seals? I have a 2012 700 TRV and a friend has a 2012 450 4x4 with 2 leaking and I have replaced ALL for seals before 200 miles and then at 400 all 4 are leaking again. Was wandering if anyone has seen or heard of any issues. Thank you.
Before I bought my cat I asked the shop mechanic if there was anything I should keep an eye on and he said axle seals where common to go bad and I have replaced my share of them on my bike and some friends bikes but Ive never seen that many bad at the same time or that often

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I went through a few seals when I first got my cat but once I realized I was over filling my diffs I haven't had any issues since.

·
Administrator
42,248 Posts
X2^^^ 8 oz rear 8.5 frt

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
another way to stop seals and gaskets from leaking
use a garden hose instead of a pressure washer

pressure washers work well,, but they also force dirt
etc into seals,,reguardless how far back you stay with the wand..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2012 550I and have had the right front and rear axle seals replaced twice and they are leaking again. Under warranty and they are going to replace them again. The voltage regulator and fan assembly also replaced and all I do is drive around in the pastures and check cattle. No hot rodding are water. Thinking of trading for a new 2013 and see if it is any better. My old 2004 500 had 5700 miles on it and was never worked on. Maybe I am spoiled.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i just did my axle seals on my 2012 mudpro, they were full of mud but cant blame the quad for that, first time changed at 2000miles, i would also check your diff breather, if not breathing right it could create to much pressure and blow out seals!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.