Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After going to the Toronto ATV/Sled show I fell in love with the Mud Pro 700, I purchased one a few weeks ago and this weekend was my first ride. We did two rides Saturday and Sunday and here is my review and thoughts on the bike.
The get-up and go power on this bike is amazing, I love how it takes off and the sound of the bike. I had read this bike was speed limited, but didnt know it was so low? I can only get to 75 km/h is that right?
In the Mud this thing was amazing, I was riding with a bunch of other stock setup bikes and could walk through most places they were having difficulties with.
On the wide open trail is were I found this bike really lacked compared to the other bikes, it really is setup just for mudding and not higher speed trail riding.

I had two issues arise this weekend. On Saturday something got in between the rim and the rotor and actually put a small hole in inside of the aluminum rim! I patched it with a inside tube tire patch which held up to get me out of the trail, then I filled it with tire slime and JBwelded the rim and it is back to normal.
On Sunday, I got a sidewall puncture on my front right tire didnt notice it and rolled the bike over in a corner... This bike is very tippy...
I never would have rolled my Grizzly in the same situation. So far I like the bike, but now know its limitations and look forward to getting some more rides in...
I got a few video's from this weekend and will see if I can figure out how to post them....

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Welcome to A-Chat congrats on the new MP!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
congrats on your new machine.
as far as rocks getting wedged between the wheel i have heard of this happening before with the older le wheels but yet to have seen or heard of it with the 14s and new style wheels.
from the sounds of you saying the machine is tippy id say your shocks are set to stiff also having a front flat tire doesnt help.
it isnt a speed machine 55 tops out of the box but there are a few tricks that can be done
to gain more top end speed if needed( talk to //AIRDAM)
this machine was built for mud bogging,deep water and creeping and does that very well as you will find out.
has tons of low end and midrange and pulls hard to 40-45 after that they start running out of gear.
on the trails it can be a beast to ride due to having 28in tires and real stiff spring rates , if you do alot of trail riding you may want to switch the springs to the ride in chassis springs,they give the machine a nicer ride on the trails.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Depending how bad the mark in you wheel was I would see about getting warranty. The first time I took my quad out it started to have a slow leak and it sounded like it was in the rim so I took it to the tire shop and sure enough something had rubbed on the rim and there was a hole. but the mark was barely keep enough to catch your fingernail in so I call the dealer and they got warranty on it for me. I think it was a poor casting or some thin spot in the rim because you could hardly even see the mark.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (catwalkin @ Nov 11 2009, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
congrats on your new machine.
as far as rocks getting wedged between the wheel i have heard of this happening before with the older le wheels but yet to have seen or heard of it with the 14s and new style wheels.
from the sounds of you saying the machine is tippy id say your shocks are set to stiff also having a front flat tire doesnt help.
it isnt a speed machine 55 tops out of the box but there are a few tricks that can be done
to gain more top end speed if needed( talk to //AIRDAM)
this machine was built for mud bogging,deep water and creeping and does that very well as you will find out.
has tons of low end and midrange and pulls hard to 40-45 after that they start running out of gear.
on the trails it can be a beast to ride due to having 28in tires and real stiff spring rates , if you do alot of trail riding you may want to switch the springs to the ride in chassis springs,they give the machine a nicer ride on the trails.[/b]
The inside of the rims is very scratched from whatever got caught in there, and there is a long sliver type crack about 2" long in the center of the rim... I really dont even know what got in there I didnt feel a thing.

I will definitely play with the suspension settings tonight to see if I can improve on it.

When I get to 75km/h which is like 45mp/h I think, it sounds like I have hit an electronic speed limiter... The bike does have a clutch kit in it, perhaps that has reduced the top speed even more, but it doesnt sound like it has run out of gearing. It basically drops off the throttle and then picks it back up again when I drop down a few km/h..
Not sure if I should be going much faster on it though!!

·
Registered
923 Posts
what you are experiencing is the rev limiter. your engine can rev only so much. the bike has super low gearing and just runs out of gear. most folks can only see about 52-53 mph tops. and you said yours has a clutch kit in it??? thats probably what is bringing your top speeddown so low. i can get yuur bike up to about 60-62 with some work to the primary clutch, as well as give you even more low end than you already have. i know you probably dont wanna go digging into a new bike and go modifying it, but if you do want to i can give you some real top notch work that will make your bike even more powerful on the low end, better throttle response, and a good bit faster.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
The inside of the rims is very scratched from whatever got caught in there, and there is a long sliver type crack about 2" long in the center of the rim... I really dont even know what got in there I didnt feel a thing.

I will definitely play with the suspension settings tonight to see if I can improve on it.

When I get to 75km/h which is like 45mp/h I think, it sounds like I have hit an electronic speed limiter... The bike does have a clutch kit in it, perhaps that has reduced the top speed even more, but it doesnt sound like it has run out of gearing. It basically drops off the throttle and then picks it back up again when I drop down a few km/h..
Not sure if I should be going much faster on it though!![/b]
Check this thread out Below. To sum it up set the rear shock preload high and the front shock preload lower by 1 to 2 settings and it will improve the stability and handling. Backwards from my original thinking before I stumbled upon the text of the link below and tried it myself.

The Mudpro sits higher which results in a high center of gravity which mean it would tip easier then my 650H1 or Thundercat riding on 26" tires. Ironically on tip test platforms. A stock 650H1 has a higher tip over angle then the 700 grizzly does by about 4 degrees and the cats are better than Polaris or Can am as well when it comes to tip angle Tip angle. Dirt Trax TV done testing last season to determine tip angles of four different ATV models and the Cat won. However because the Arctic cats do not use a stabilizer bar unless you install one after market, they feel more tippy and require a little more body english in the off camber situations. A lot of it is learning your machine and how to ride it. I can ride my Cats into places where my friends on their Grizzly's cannot. Yet put them on my Cat and they do worse then they would on their Grizzly.

http://www.arcticchat.com/forums/index.php...st&p=538060

1 - 7 of 7 Posts