Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I'm trying to figure out why if my mp sits for A few 7/8 hours its hard to start, it will eventually. I have spark, new plug, new battery. I don't always hear my fuel pump kick on. Sould it kick on every time I turn the key? I assume it should. All fuses are good ...thinking it maybe a fuel relay? Any help appreciated tks

·
Registered
751 Posts
First, put the bike in gear. pull the brake lever in and press the start button. if the engine turns over (we are not trying to start the engine)

This is a test of the S.I.G. (Start In Gear) Relay. If the engine turned over the relay is good.

Now remove the seat and open the fuse box a swap the fuel pump relay with the S.I.G. relay.

Turn the key on and listen for the fuel pump. if you hear it turn the engine kill switch off and back on you should hear the fuel pump again.

Now with the key on put your ear by the fuse panel pull the brake in and release. Every time the brake is pulled in the S.I.G. relay should click. now attempt to start the bike in gear. if it does not turn over the relay is bad.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will try that tomorrow ..I swaped relays around earlier w fan relay and it wouldn't start ..swaped them back and it started. I drove it for 5 hrs today and no issues on trails. It seems to have starting issue after it sits overnight. I even ran out all the old gas today and filled up w fresh. I will try to fire it up in am ...if it don't run ill do ur relay swap thanks a buch for tip...ill post my results in am

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
my buddies 09 and my other buddies 2010 did this, half the time with the key the fuel pump wouldnt come one....dealers replaced both of their wiring harness`s and fixed them both. Its said that the harness is to short and pulls light causing wires to come out or break

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well just did that and relays are all good..maybe just just sitting for a few months with bad gas and weak battery gave it an issue? Like I said I need to let it sit overnight and ill know more in am

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Well just did that and relays are all good..maybe just just sitting for a few months with bad gas and weak battery gave it an issue? Like I said I need to let it sit overnight and ill know more in am
If the fuel pump does not cycle EVERY time you cycle the key you have electrical issues nothing to do with bad fuel

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hoping its not a harness been watching it for chaffs and. Think I got the problem spots protected I hope

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Weak battery cause it to act up?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fired right up this am , fuel pump cycles as it should. After work ill go through wiring harness again...I know it ain't bad fuel just saying trying to rule out everything. Since I replaced battery it seems good

·
Administrator
8,019 Posts
weak battery will make it act goofy. miss, stumble, wont start,
In most cases a charged battery and a new spark plug fixes quite a few running issues.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
weak battery wont cause the pump to not cycle.....4 things that it could be...ecu...wires breaking or corroding....or pump relay..or bad pump.

my money is on wiring harness

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fired up this morning and again tonight, pumps kicking on and it's running fine. I switched relays, that's ruled out, looked over harness its looks ok checked the problem spots...guess I wait and see if it will duplicate problem again?

·
Administrator
8,019 Posts
weak battery wont cause the pump to not cycle.....4 things that it could be...ecu...wires breaking or corroding....or pump relay..or bad pump.

my money is on wiring harness
You're right, fuel pump should cycle every time the key is turned on. On a different thread, the wires pulled out of the ECU connection. The wires looked like they we still intact but they had to look real close to find their problem.
Seems like there are quite a few wiring harness issues on these quads. I wonder if Cat is learning from their mistakes and routing them better and adding a couple of inches to the whole thing.?
I have never had a wiring issue what so ever. Knock on wood.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
You're right, fuel pump should cycle every time the key is turned on. On a different thread, the wires pulled out of the ECU connection. The wires looked like they we still intact but they had to look real close to find their problem.
Seems like there are quite a few wiring harness issues on these quads. I wonder if Cat is learning from their mistakes and routing them better and adding a couple of inches to the whole thing.?
I have never had a wiring issue what so ever. Knock on wood.
It seems after 09 they tried cutting costs maybe and shortening the wires...i mean the frames and engines havent changed since 08. All my buddies with late 09s and up have had issues....and me 5000 miles and not one wiring problem

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well just got done checking harness. I had one spot with a burn hole in tape but not threw wires. Patched it up w tape but it all looks good. As of now it's running fine . What are u guys wrapping harness with I had used split heater hose, but thinking it traps moisture...any thoughts?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts