Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I took the MP out for the second ride, I noticed during this ride that with the diff lock on both of my front tires were not spinning. When I put the Diff Lock on you can hear something engage, similar to the servo noise you get when going from 2WD to 4WD..

I went through some video I had from my last ride and it looks like this wasnt working last weekend either.

My question is has anyone come across this issue before? My warranty appears to have ended November 11th, as the Extended Warranty apparently is not transferable.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Either your cable is loose im not sure if you have the flip lever or the little button on the dash , also could be your actuator gears . Ive been thru 2 actuators just take em apart see if the gears are jammed or stripped . Ac should upgrade them from there little plastic gears ...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (arcticcat or die @ Nov 16 2009, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Either your cable is loose im not sure if you have the flip lever or the little button on the dash , also could be your actuator gears . Ive been thru 2 actuators just take em apart see if the gears are jammed or stripped . Ac should upgrade them from there little plastic gears ...[/b]
I have a button on the dash.. The gears would make sense because I can hear what sounds like it is engaging... I will take a look at that actuator, I am glad to hear it is a cheap plastic part that could be gone though, I was thinking it could be real bad!

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
What do you mean the extended warranty is not tranferable? I do not understand. Did you buy it used from someone who paid for the extended warranty? IF so was it a Cat Care warranty? I know those are transferable. Anyway on to the problem, I would start by taking a look at the actuator.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
I dont think any of the MPs have a cable ran lock its all electric. What i would do is have someone engauge the locker while you look to see if the actuator is pulling the plunger out on the diff, this will be a simple test to see if the actuator is working the locker part or not.
If it does not move i would say the act would be bad and if it does it could be that the axle shaft has poped out of the diff just enough so the locker wont work i have seen this a few times before as the clip that holds the axle in place can be weak or just did not catch right.

·
Registered
367 Posts
If you try and lock your diff on flat ground (not in mud) does it still not engage? Or does it only do it in mud/water?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I havnt taken it apart yet, I will take a look at it tonight to check on all of these suggestions.

I did buy it used, it has Cat Care and when I called Arctic Cat they said it wasnt transferrable... I called my local dealer and they thought that may be incorrect, they are looking into it and will let me know today.

When I engage it on hard ground it still doesnt engage. I tried engaging it before going into a mud hole and it still didnt engage...

Will let you know what I find tonight, thanks for the suggestions.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
I know for sure the warranty is transferable under some conditions.One of whichis it can only be transfered one time(I think). There is also a charge of $25 dollars.Get with a different dealer and talk to them. I have a copy of a transfer request from when I sold my old V2 so if you need to see what exactly it is, let me know.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I looked at it last night and this is what I found.
The actuator is moving and pulls the plug out but not very far, maybe 1-2mm how far out should it come?

I need to get a repair manual for this bike this weekend, but in the meantime, where is the plastic actuator gear? is it under that plastic piece beside the diff, if so how does it come apart? I removed all the screws but it still wouldnt come apart easily and I didnt want to pry as its just plastic..

Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
mine did the same thing, come to find out the left front axle wasnt all the way in, or was and popped out just enough (left is diff lock side) to make my diff lock not work.
easy way of telling is grab the inner cv joint and pull it towards the wheel if it slides out easy the clip on the end(inside the diff) is not seated,you can try to push the axle in to see if it locks in,iff not
you will have to pull the wheel and remove the axle and spead the clip on the axle then put the axle back in,also might want to give it a tap to seat the clip.

another way to tell if the axle popped out is, put it in 4wd and put the diff lock on, jack the front wheels off the ground, spin the front wheels, if they rotate in different directions the axle popped out.

also they gave you a line of b.s. cats warrenty is tranferable as long as you bought it from the orig owner who bought it new.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (catwalkin @ Nov 18 2009, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
another way to tell if the axle popped out is, put it in 4wd and put the diff lock on, jack the front wheels off the ground, spin the front wheels, if they rotate in different directions the axle popped out.[/b]
It does exactly that... I will work on this over the weekend let you know how it goes...

I am talking to Arctic Cat directly about the warranty as well now, just waiting to hear back.. FYI I purchased this bike in the USA, I live primarily in Canada but have a place down south as well.. Because I ride here more and we have more strict policy on ATV registration I was registering it to my Ontario address, I may have screwed my self on the warranty because of this even though I had verified with Cat before doing the registration like this I would be fine... I asked if I would still have warranty and they said yes anywhere in North America. I should have asked if my Cat Care warranty would be valid, my bad for not being more specific....

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
that would explain why there is no transfer of warrenty.
otherwise you would be ok.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (catwalkin @ Nov 18 2009, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
mine did the same thing, come to find out the left front axle wasnt all the way in, or was and popped out just enough (left is diff lock side) to make my diff lock not work.
easy way of telling is grab the inner cv joint and pull it towards the wheel if it slides out easy the clip on the end(inside the diff) is not seated,you can try to push the axle in to see if it locks in,iff not
you will have to pull the wheel and remove the axle and spead the clip on the axle then put the axle back in,also might want to give it a tap to seat the clip.[/b]
Spent a bunch of time working on the bike this weekend and wanted to let anyone who was searching for this in the future know this was exactly the same problem mine had.. I pulled the left axle spread the clip and put it back on, now the diff lock is engaging.. This is the first place I would check if anyone is having any issues with Diff lock on the mud pro.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts