Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fricken Mice got into my F7 sled this summer. Made a nest on one of the cylinders. I tore off the dome and found corn on the PTO side. I've shop vacuumed the top of both cylinders and in from the Y pipe and hosed it down in WD40. Should I have someone pull the entire head off and clean the bottom of the cylinders? I'm at the edge of my mech ability where I am.

I'll probably pull the Y pipe this afternoon and get a good look in there...god damn MICE!! WTF should I do..

·
5,963 Posts
that sucks. they could be in the cranks case to but the only thing I would say is that since there is oil in there i wouldn't think they would be up in there. that sucks man. taking the jugs off wouldn't be a bad Idea at all

·
Registered
524 Posts
Bummer! All i can say is mothballs and bounce dryer sheets. You will never have that problem again.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I hate to bring the bad news,but the last time a friend found corn in a snowmobile motor. They packed the bottom just as full. They must have figured it was a two story warehouse. eekkk

We took the complete motor apart and had to change two crank bearings because they must like to PISS on the food..... :turd:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DAmn, not what I wanted to hear. I'm on the fence as to do a complete tear down or try and clean it out the best I can, dump some oil in there and hope for the best..

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Snatchdaddy @ Nov 16 2009, 09:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
DAmn, not what I wanted to hear. I'm on the fence as to do a complete tear down or try and clean it out the best I can, dump some oil in there and hope for the best..[/b]
You can hope for the best, but how much more damage do you want to risk? I think the engine should probably come out and crank examined. Mouse pee in the bottom end can ruin the crank bearings pretty quick. How lucky do you feel?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Never had mice in the cylinders, but just cleaned out a nice nest from my fan shroud.

Be mindful of Hanta virus when you're pulling things apart. I would do this in an open air area with a respirator and gloves until you can "sanitize" the parts. The virus doesn't live for long out in the open, but why take chances.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Bounce dryer sheets have never worked for me for some reason. To add insult to injury, more than once I've seen mouse $hit on the dryer sheet itself. I'm a bigger fan of mothballs, and agree with KevinS, steel wool in the exhaust pipe.

Back to topic, I'd probably pull the cyls to at least get a good look inside the case. If anything looks suspicious, out it comes.
Frickin mice. :angry:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Took my S/C out of storage Sunday. Nest between the hood insulation and headlights again. Always stuff a oil soaked rag up the exhaust.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wicked King @ Nov 16 2009, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Bounce dryer sheets have never worked for me for some reason. To add insult to injury, more than once I've seen mouse $hit on the dryer sheet itself. I'm a bigger fan of mothballs, and agree with KevinS, steel wool in the exhaust pipe.

Back to topic, I'd probably pull the cyls to at least get a good look inside the case. If anything looks suspicious, out it comes.
Frickin mice. :angry:[/b]

FRICKEN MICE!!

I'm having everything pulled and flushing the crank. I figure might as well put 2 new jugs and rings in there as well...even though the sled was running SUPER pior to being put away. Last ride of the season I was walking a XP 800 all day too.

I'm on the fence as to putting a 2.5 key in there but it ran strong the way it was, only good news I got this week was that there is a nice scrape under my stand up Nort. Time to go shoot some deer!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Oilly rag in the pipe & don't forget the air intake (I know firecats have screens but mice can tear them). Any local sled shop (not a dealer) should get the motor apart and checked out for less than $200. If the motors got 4000+ on it why not take the bad luck and turn it into a good time to freshen up the top end with a rebuild.

·
Registered
11 Posts
its funny, I hear bout this so often, Ive never had a problem with mice and I store my sled out side too.

You should at least pull the jugs off, and take a look down in the case. Its really not that much work in mechanical terms, just some nuts really.

·
Registered
175 Posts
SAME HAPPENED TO ME. FILL AIR BOX THROTLE BODYS REED VAVLES PACKED IT IN THERE SOLID

SORRY TO HEAR GOOD LUCK. TOOK MINE APART CLEANED AND PUT BACK TOGETHER RUN GREAT

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gunner F5 @ Dec 28 2009, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You didn't buy new cylinders did you?[/b]

I'm getting them replated, new pistons, some new bearings in the crank..$1600 + should be like a brand new motor, is that too much to pay? I need to get out and ride!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts