Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wifes sled is an 2001 Mountaincat 600, the stock 9 tower clutch decided to crap the bed. I have purcheased a 6 tower clutch off an 03 F5. Due to the lighter rotating mass I'm not sure how to set it up. With the stock weights and spring from the 9 tower clutch it engages at 6500 rpm. So I changed the primary spring to a red comet spring, it now engages at around 4600 rpm. Comet calls for a red spring and A25 weights, I'm thinking this may work because comet made these clutches for cat I'm told. When the clutch engages now it seems to engage a little soft. At full throttle the rpm is at 8200rpm. I left the secondary setup the same as stock. Any ideas would be greatly appriciated, Or any ideas of the best setup would be appreciated. The sled runs 99% of it's life around 2400 ft of elevation. One last question, I was tod the 6 tower was a better way to go because of less rotating mass (easier on the crank) Should I put a 9 tower back on it?

THANKS IN ADVANCE YOU GUYS REALLY HELP OUT

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
You took your stock weights and spring from your old clutch right?? Was this setup for higher altitude? For your altitude it should be 52g weights (0746-592), and a yellow/white primary spring (0646-229). this should give you an engagement around 4800 rpms with new weight bushings and pins. You can swap in a softer primary spring if you want a lower engagement, try a yellow/green (0646-147). The sled should run around 8000 - 8200 rpm's on top. If you have the 47g weights for over 9000 ft, then it may engage too high for you for where you are at. The 6-tower f-5 clutch is even better than the older 9-tower which is better than the comet's of previous years.

~Fast

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So basically you are telling me to set this 6 tower up, the same way I would set up a 9 tower? This sounds too easy, I figured because of the less rotating mass of the 6 tower the weights and spring would be differrent than a 9 tower.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Yep, that actually doesn't cause as much problem as one would think. The clutch's themselves are quite close in overall weight because the newer 6 tower is beefier in more areas than the older 9-tower. Just plug and play basically. you may have a slight overrev, but that can be compensated for with secondary adjustments like spring tension and cam angle changes. Actually quite simple.

~Fast

1 - 5 of 5 Posts