Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of Motorola Talk About Radios and was thinking of buying the earpeices for these in the hopes they would fit under my helmet. Has anybody tried this?

I know they sell expensive helmet walkie walkies but wouldn't a simple walkie talkie with an earbud work?

What about noise feedback?
Do they fit under a helmet?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Ive used the ear bud with the push to talk button on the wire cliped to my shirt, worked pretty good.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've been looking into the same thing lately. The girl I talked to at Cabelas said they work great. Engine noise is cancelled out by a filter of some kind. She did say to make sure and get 5 watt radios, and stick with either Midland or Motorola.

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (loners4me @ Jan 10 2007, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have a pair of Motorola Talk About Radios and was thinking of buying the earpeices for these in the hopes they would fit under my helmet. Has anybody tried this?

I know they sell expensive helmet walkie walkies but wouldn't a simple walkie talkie with an earbud work?

What about noise feedback?
Do they fit under a helmet?[/b]
Try the FoxFire throat mic. It only picks up your voice, not the engine noise. So it's easier for you to be heard and easier for you to hear the other person if they're using one too.

I have a FoxFire throat mic on a hi-watt Cobra capable of 'up to' 27 kms range (pending terrain conditions). I used it only one time, since then have not ridden with anyone who believes in 'LIVE' communication with riding buddies. bang your head

If they tried it just once, I'm sure it would be their preference as opposed to not being able to talk.

According to the other person, my voice was clear and no engine noise was detected. The other person had a standard mic, and it was very difficult for me to hear their voice because the engine noise was at times louder than the voice.

One other feature about the FoxFire throat mic setup is VOX can potentially work well. VOX might not work so well with an open-air helmet mic, because the engine noise will trigger transmit mode and it will be 'stuck' on transmit as long as the engine noise is present. We experimented with open air helmet mics in the late 90s, using commercial long-range Motorola radios (snowmobiling, not ATVing). Just couldn't compete with the engine loudness.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
64 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (loners4me @ Jan 10 2007, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I am thinking about buying a pair of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/Secret-Service-Style-M...oQQcmdZViewItem

I have Motorola FR50s and don't think firefoxi s compatible (older radios).

ANyone ever tried anyting like these?

Perhaps I should post in the sled section[/b]
Yes I have those ear buds on my motorola radios. I have been very happy with how they work, Very little outside noise as they work off of the ear canal for speach. A friend and I use them often when out riding. I think a worthy investment.

·
Registered
64 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (loners4me @ Jan 10 2007, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I am thinking about buying a pair of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/Secret-Service-Style-M...oQQcmdZViewItem

I have Motorola FR50s and don't think firefoxi s compatible (older radios).

ANyone ever tried anyting like these?

Perhaps I should post in the sled section[/b]
Also I can use them with the vox function. So I do not have to use the PTT(push to talk). I also paid about $35.00 for the pair. bang your head

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
funny you ask, ijust bought the midland gxt 650 walkie talkies there suppost to be good for 18 miles.
they also come with mikes,and ear phones along with a 12v charger,nicad batts,120v home charging station.
i paid 59.95 through dicks sporting goods, the vox system works well and alot easyer than the ptt.
i had chatterbox radios that mounted on my helmet but didnt work for :turd:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts