Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about this for a while now and I am ready to give it a shot.
Can anybody give me a valid reason as to why this would not work ??
I am thinking 180hp. gsxr 1000 engine and gearbox and possibly hand controlled electric shift.
I have always hated automatic transmissions and sequential manual are used in just about all forms of motorsport so I cannot see it not work here.

Thank you in advance for any ideas you might have on the subject.

·
Registered
695 Posts
one thing a member mentioned which is definately a valid point...

the contact area between a motorcycle tire and a snowmobile track is immensely different which will cause A LOT more stress on the gear box...

now if you where to do it you might as well pull the gear box appart and try having everything strengthened (perhaps shot peening and or cryo treating)...

i have been dying to see this done though!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mesoam,

I think that if the gearbox can take all the torque that the engine is making it does not matter much where that torque is sent afterwards.

The gearing would obviously have to be very different as there is no way it could go 185mph. as on the bike due to so much more friction, I would aim for about 110mph. at redline wich would give me a very nice 1st. gear for taking off in difficult situations.

I can't wait to start on this project.

Francois.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I see no reason why a gearbox cannot handle the stress of a sled.
I see a track on ice/snow spinning easier than a sticky tire on dry pavement myself, as both a sledder and sport bike rider.

I sure hope you do this...sounds like a great project.
I had in the past built a go cart powered by a honda Hurricane 1000 motor and gearbox...it hauled ass. :super_happy:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just make sure the separator plates in the clutch are steel because the aluminum type would probably only last like 4 or 5 engagements.

You'd get allot better reliability and gas mileage out of the engine because you could cruse at low rpms.

I don't see the possibility of breaking a gears upon acceleration but allot of motocross bikes break gears by landing jumps at full throttle. The new snowcross sleds are using something called a Team Industries Slip Gear to protect the drive train and might be something to look in to.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Interesting concept here.

I myself being a designer, snowmobiler, and sport bike rider have wondered this same thing.

But my mind always comes to the same conclusion. Accelerating with a gear box on a motorcycle is efficient because the tire is not spinning. Imagine if you will a motorcycle that could NOT fall over. Put that bike on an ice rink. Now, accelerate from 0-100 as fast as you can.. good luck becuause your going to be going 10 mpg and spinning that tire in 6th gear and you had to shift as fast as you could to get there.

Its my opinion that the same thing would happen in a sled. Thats why sleds use the clutch system they use.

Now.. if you put a motorcycle motor in a sled and utilized our existing physics of centrifugal clutches, that could work and be hella fun :)

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
I wonder if the gears could be shifted quick enough. If you were to head off trail you would need to go thew 6th down to 3rd, or 2nd right now in order not to bog out and get stuck. The CVT transmission is so responsive to changing conditions. It adjusts automatically and instantaneously to widely varying conditions, tht are far more variable than what motorcycles see. I think that if you watch the Dakar Rally you see bikes going from hard pack to soft sand and the rider often has to stop and find first gear and take off again. When you have hugely varying load conditons you need a lot of torque for a fixed ratio set up, or a tirque sensing, variable ratio, automatic responding system, like the CVT. If you stick to groomed trails a manual transmission could work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It would indeed be a groomed trail use sled as this is what I have around here.

Your quick downshift point is most definitely the biggest problem I am likely to encounter though.

I think I will still try it if only because I have been wanting to for such a long time.

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts on this and please keep it coming :D

Francois

·
Registered
22 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I am currently working on this same task and like to get som creativ juices flowing. There are several options to doing this mod. First machining an adapter to mount on the flywheel in place of the stator to mount the snowmobile clutch, and mounting an alternator. Or direct drive from transmission to secondary shaft, requires shifting. Third, A new product that replaces the cycle clutch with a cart style clutch, used in some motox bikes, allows shifting without clutching. What I have settled on is mounting the snowmobile clutch on a shaft and driving that fom the trans, keeping it in whatever gear is closest to 1:1.
I will post in a new topic as the project progresses.
Jay

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.