Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 1998 zr 600 that after it warms up it won't shut off. The key or the shutoff on the handle bar wont kill the moter. While its idoling it will start to run ruff and wont shut off then the idol comes back up and the switches start to work.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Sounds like you need to pull all the connections apart, clean them, use di' lectric grease
an reconnect for starters.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i have a 98 zr 500 with the same problem, cleaned and redwired all ground wires. added toggle switch for shut off. seems to have worked

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
If all your ground connections, wiring, and switches check out, your CD pack may have an 'internal open'. Only way to fix it is replacement.

This is actually one of the common possible reasons for your symptoms (if all the other stuff is good).

Adding a SPST switch to open the feed to the secondary coil works, but you may end up stuck out on the trail if/when the CD finally fails permanently.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i had a similar problem with my 99 zr700 once. it would start and run and idle fine but it wouldnt shut off with the key or teather or kill switch. i had to pop both plug wires off to kill it. it turned out that under the plastic shrouding around the base of the bars where your teather and key and choke mount there is a plug that connects the teather and key to the rest of the electronics and if this gets unplugged it will start and run with no key or teather at all. mine had come just loose enough to let this happen so i would check that too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts