Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I had a motor blow in my 02 zr 600 (carb) bad enough to where I won’t be able to fix it. The thing was in perfect shape and always kept clean. I also have a 2000 zr 600 (carb as well) that has a really beat up chassis and everything cosmetic really. Still runs good tho. Is it possible to swap the motor from the 2000 into the 2002 chassis without any major headaches? And are the clutches swapable either? I just rebuild the 02’s clutches as well. All responses greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I've never done this swap before. However in comparing the parts fiche between the 2000 motor and the 2002 motor, the only difference I see is the 2002 motor has power valves, whereas the 2000 motor does not. However, the motor mounts are identical, which means the 2000 will mount up. But if you put the 2000 motor in the 2002 chassis, I would use the 2000 CDI, as its programmed to run without the power valves

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I was gonna mention that I was just going to unplug the apv valves because I did know of this, never thought about switching out the CDI box tho. Might give that a shot. Where exactly is the cdi on this model?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, so it’s called a CDI on a carbureted model and called a ECU on an efi model?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Okay, so it’s called a CDI on a carbureted model and called a ECU on an efi model?
Yep, exactly.
The timing curve programmed in the 2002 CDI would have been done with the power valves incorporated into the equation. Not sure if that would work so well with the non-power valved engine. Best to use the 2000 CDI.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, that’s simple enough. Should I swap the wiring harness with the CDI as well or would I be able to plug in the 2002 wiring harness to the 2000 CDI? I’m gonna guess and say that I’ve gotta swap the harness too but it would save me some time if I didn’t have to. And thanks for the replies btw.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Figured. I plan to do it some time this weekend and I’ll try to post how it went. Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
8,198 Posts
I have done this swap just the other way around. You need the Cdi box and wiring from the 2000. I also changed the exhaust as they were different.

·
Super Moderator
8,198 Posts
I think the 2000 stator was different. The 2002 box won’t run the 2000 because it will go into limp mode because I will think something is wrong with the valves

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, makes sense to me. Theoretically if I were to save the 2002 CDI and apv valves and came across 2 600cc cylinders with the apv ports on them, would I be able to simply just swap the cylinders and add the valves back with the servo motor and CDI box? I don’t really have intentions on doing this yet but may be a possibility in the future.

·
Super Moderator
8,198 Posts
Yeah, makes sense to me. Theoretically if I were to save the 2002 CDI and apv valves and came across 2 600cc cylinders with the apv ports on them, would I be able to simply just swap the cylinders and add the valves back with the servo motor and CDI box? I don’t really have intentions on doing this yet but may be a possibility in the future.
The stators are different from 00-02

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
If it were me, I would sell the 2002 CDI and apv assembly and save the $$ for other maintenance consumables or for gas and oil. Once that 2000 engine is in and running, I would just ride it and have some fun with it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I got it swapped, everything switched over nicely and it started and Idled really well but was really boggy at low and mid-range. If you opened the throttle it would slowly pick up and run great wide open. Even after it bogs bad it still isles well. Could this just be the fuel/air mixture screw needing adjusting? It seemed to be flooding if I had to guess. I used the carbs from the sled I swapped into (the 2002s) if that happens to be a problem. I’d really like to stick with them too since they are freshly rebuilt and the set of carbs from the other sled were really gunked up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I moved the clips on the jet needle up 2 spaces and it ran better, but not perfect, still boggy In the low end. Also checked the spark plugs and one was a tanish color and a tiny bit wet while the other was more of a white color which had kinda scared me since I don’t wanna lean it out. So that’s where I’ve stopped. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Check your choke cable adjustments . If not adjusted right you could be adding fuel into a cylinder causes a wet plug. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk FastCat123$&.6doozr9000

1 - 20 of 20 Posts