Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm try to diagnose a problem with my 400 Auto. It's fine in low range and will rev out, but in high, I get it to about 35MPH and it stays there, revs won't build any further. Am I right in assuming that the clutch isn't shifting out all the way? You would think it would react the same in low range as well. It starts and idles perfectly, and slow speed operation is good. Just no top end out of it. I'm running 26" Goodyear radials, so heavy tires aren't the problem. Any input is appreciated. :huh:

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
my 400 was doing something similar to that a while back, but i did not try it in low. in high it would top out at 35 and sounded/felt like the engine was hooked up. then i noticed what sounded like air escaping ( a hissing) coming from my back left side, it was not something that i ate. it ended up being a baffle in the muffler that had broke lose and was restricting the exhaust flow. dealer replaced the muffler and it was good as new.

so do you hear a hissing sound when you ride?

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I had a buddy with a Grizz that did the same exact thing...only it was right after he swamped it. I later fixed it for him by cleaning out the carb (which had 1/4" of silty mud in the bowl) and cleaning out his clutch (which was packed with now baked mud and grease). After doing those two things, it drove like brand new. So, what I guess I'm saying is that you may have a combo platter here blue. Start with the carb and see where that takes ya.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'm going to look for some of that "Seafoam" stuff and run that through. I have been running methyl dehydrate through it to try and keep the carb clean. I think there's something with the muffler too actually. Once I hit a certain RPM, there's a loud buzzing coming from it, but it dissapears after the revs climb. I know there's a baffle loose in there, might have to look into a new muffler. With the clutch, can I use brake cleaner to clean off the sheaves? Any way to test it to see if it shifts out all the way? I also notice that there's hardly any engine braking in high range. It's good and strong in low range though. Are yours the same way in that respect? Thanks again

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Hey Blue, on my V2 the engine braking was more noticeable at low speeds, although it would also work at higher speeds as well...just more noticeable at lower speeds. Yep, you can use brake cleaner to clean the sheaves. If it were me, I would start with the carb. Take it off and clean it top to bottom just to make sure it's all clean and good. While you're doing that, it isn't a bad idea to toss an inline fuel filter into the mix, just to keep crud that may be in the gas tank from reaching your carb.

If that doesn't cure what's ailing your Cat, then I would take the clutches off of the quad and inspect them top to bottom. Make sure there's nothing on the sheaves, nothing caught in between them, nothing in the springs, and make sure the weights are clear of any mud/debris. To do that, you'll need to take them off of the machine.

In summary, I don't think it's your clutches, but it's a possibility to examine if other options don't work out for ya. I'd start with the carb. If you are hearing a loose baffle, that could be your huckleberry like mrmrezq suggested. Start with the simple things. Wouldn't hurt to pop that clutch cover off though and take a quick look just to see what's going on in there (clean sheaves, belt dust amount on cover, belt condition, etc...).

Keep us updated boss.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts