322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if anyone has posted this before, but,

clickity click

Good info

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
That article pretty much explains engine break in methods similar to what I use. I don't follow his exact routine although, I do accelerate hard for brief intervals then back off and run at slower speeds briefly and repeat. I do this for the first 20 miles or so then not as frequently for the next 30 miles. I do continue to accelerate hard and slow down for the next 100 miles but I accelerate longer then run slower longer as well with some normal cruising in between. I have to admit, I've never had an engine problem from the thirty or so engines I have broken in whether they be two or four strokes. It's important to load them up then engine brake while decelerating. I generally do my first oil change at fifty miles. I don't bother to change the filter then because it's still relatively new. An oil filter will actually do a better job as particles begin to fill in the small spaces between the filter fibers. Of course, this is good only to a point. On my machines, I'll usually change the filter every second oil change. I've broken in 5 Suzukis, 1 Yamaha, 1 Kawasaki, 1 Honda, 2 Jonsereds, 1 McCullough, 2 Johnson, 1 Echo, 5 Tecumseh, 1 Mitsubishi, 1 Kubota, 1 Stihl, 1 Rotax, 1 Fuji, 1 BMW, 2 Fords and 3 Toyotas. Not one engine ever appeared to be underpowered nor did the four strokes consume oil. The trick is to work the engine, not flog it and do that first oil change within the first fifty miles or one hour of engine break-in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts