Administrator
35,610 Posts
Morning peeps
Well snow stopped and temps dropped lol
IMG_0758.JPG

·
Registered
8,614 Posts
Evening all! We’ve had so much rain in our area the city of Winnipeg is raising the floodway gates to redirect some of the Red River water into the floodway AKA Duff’s Ditch around Winnipeg. This usually happens in spring only. It’s raining again for a couple of days and it may turn into snow later in week. Farmers may have to wait and harvest frozen corn and beans.

·
Super Moderator
8,352 Posts
Morning Gang,
Thanks for the insight on the solar fixtures. I have some older units that seem to keep going. They are solidly built. They also had much better light output. I honestly can't remember if they were crazy expensive. I don't mind spending a little more for a light that works and lasts. I've also seen much better battery life with the better lights.
The weather is putting up some challenges for field work. We started with a late spring and had a relatively cool summer. Some crops can catch up with good heat after a late start. It has not happened this year. We went out to the fields this week for a shake down run on some new equipment. The crops are not mature yet. Mother nature is going the throw the shut off switch in the next few days. A good freeze stops things fast. We do have a little luck on our side lately. We have been missing the heavier rains over the past few weeks. The ground is starting to firm up enough to move around.

·
Registered
8,614 Posts
It’s morning and a crappy one at that. Power went out around 8 last night and came back on just before 4 this morning. Heavy wet snow and it has torn down some of my trees. Missed the last 2 periods of the Jets / Wild game on tv. Heard it was a good one for the Jets.
When it’s light out I’ll assess my damaged trees.

·
Administrator
35,610 Posts
That sucks Catman. I hope it’s not too bad. No back up generator?

·
Registered
8,614 Posts
Only have Champion backup generator for septic pump as the weeping tile water goes into our septic tank. Surprisingly didn’t need to start it. Kept checking level in tank and it barely moved in two hours.
I thought about setting up the Honda E350 for the tv and satellite but it was so crappy out.

Doorfx, I’ll take your -8c and no wind any day instead of this crap.

·
Super Moderator
8,352 Posts
Morning Gang,
I don't envy that kind of weather at this time of year.
Interesting how we come back to generator talk. (Doorfx, I really think you are ahead of the curve with repairing generators). I was thinking that some of the people out west are probably talking about them as well. Hard to believe shutting down parts of the grid just because of wind. We would be in big trouble if that was the norm. We have much higher average wind speeds than the areas being affected by the shutdowns. There are some interesting maps out there with average global wind speeds. The central U.S. is windy. Looks like south central Canada is also included. Now I have to find some average snowfall maps.

·
Registered
8,614 Posts
Morning all! Well the weather has settled down and the cleanup around the province begins. Some communities had more hydro poles on the ground than standing. State of emergency has been declared by provincial government. Makes me glad I just had a few broken trees around the yard. Water levels have shot up with all the rain and now melting snow.

·
Administrator
35,610 Posts
Morning gang
Good to hear you made it through relatively unscathed. Weather has been really nice here for the last few days. Should hit 15c this week.

·
Super Moderator
8,352 Posts
Morning Gang,
660catman, hard to imagine that many lines down. Ice storms are the big culprit if that happens down here. They bring in crews from all over when they have big areas affected. It gets interesting with multiple teams from different areas working the same lines. I have no idea who or how determines the repower process. Hope you guys get back to kinda normal soon.
We have had weather all over the board recently. Yard cleaning one day and heavy snow the next. Odd thing about the snow is the lack of freezing temps. We didn't get a killing frost until after the snow was done and skies cleared overnight. The worst frost appears to be just in the low land spots. We are doing assessments of the fields right now. The stuff that didn't freeze may get another decent week of maturation.

·
Registered
8,614 Posts
Morning Gang,
660catman, hard to imagine that many lines down. Ice storms are the big culprit if that happens down here. They bring in crews from all over when they have big areas affected. It gets interesting with multiple teams from different areas working the same lines. I have no idea who or how determines the repower process. Hope you guys get back to kinda normal soon.
We have had weather all over the board recently. Yard cleaning one day and heavy snow the next. Odd thing about the snow is the lack of freezing temps. We didn't get a killing frost until after the snow was done and skies cleared overnight. The worst frost appears to be just in the low land spots. We are doing assessments of the fields right now. The stuff that didn't freeze may get another decent week of maturation.
Manitoba Hydro has crews coming from Saskatchewan, Ontario and Minnesota to help out. What made it worse especially in the city was most of the trees have not lost their leaves and branches snapped easier with the heavy wet snow. It's hard to believe that some steel transmission towers completely folded over too.

·
Super Moderator
8,352 Posts
Glad to hear that they did bring in help. I'm surprised that those steel towers folded. It makes sense with the trees causing all the problems. I figured those steel towers would be tall enough to avoid falling branches. The last bad summer storm, around here, caused a lot to go down with straight line winds. The winds lasted about 20 minutes in that event. Speculation going around was that a single pole falling created too much load for the existing poles. The relatively long duration of the wind created a domino effect. A heavy snow load would certainly last a lot longer than a 20 minute wind.

·
Administrator
35,610 Posts
We had the snow a couple years back. They called it Snowtember. 100,000 trees owned by the city were destroyed or damaged. Heavy wet snow on trees with leaves is very bad.
That number didn’t include trees on private property. The arborist companies were very busy!

·
Administrator
35,610 Posts
Morning
They are predicting 18c here in Lethbridge Ab. Today. Might have to catch some rays this afternoon with a cold beverage on the hotel patio.

·
Super Moderator
8,352 Posts
Morning Gang,
Funny how early season storms get names and mid season stuff gets the "Aw shucks, it snowed a foot last night" treatment. We have not had any big early season stuff down here for awhile. We certainly have not had any worthy of a name like Snowtember. Earliest stuff most can name is the Halloween Blizzard. The date on that one is fairly obvious. It did all melt before winter really kicked into gear. Also didn't have leaves on the trees.

·
Registered
8,614 Posts
Morning all and Happy Friday!!! It’s going to be a hot one today at 13c.

·
Administrator
35,610 Posts
Afternoon all
Windy and warm here. Sold another generator , now to get two more ready.

56321 - 56337 of 56337 Posts