Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate setting up a thread that will just breed negativity..... but Its a pretty important issue.

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/inde...p;#entry2279260

lots of talk over there about tunnels bending. I haven't read much here, so I thought I'd start a thread, as some of you don't go there...

my tunnel has a small bend in it on the right side right where the vin sticker is.... its small, and I don't know how long its been there, I don't remember every seeing it last year, must be new. I don't launch into the air too much, maybe 4 feet of air at the rear, but thats from feel, I'd bet I'm not off the ground 2 feet and it feels like 4? I Also think that jumping on the rear of the tunnel to "set" the track before a launch/race might have something to do with it... then after its bent , a jump will only make it worst. some have seen huge bends, some just tiny ones, supports are in order i believe. from what I have read, dealers say that cat wont do anything about it....

speak up boys and girls, whats your thoughts.....and is your tunnel ok... go look first, i thought mine was ok, until I looked close. I'll post pics later.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Strength in numbers guys....if you want Cat to take some kinda action on this issue if you have a bent tunnel you guys have to go to the dealers all at the same time before your warrenty expires and complain. One guy may not get any attention but 100 people will plus the squeaky wheel always gets the attention first.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its interesting that this is a very hot topic on one site and next to non-existent on this one? interesting..

bump.

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
Here ya go
http://www.cpsc.gov/
Does'nt matter what country you live in, the sled is a manufactured product of the U.S.
Enough owners file the PROPER claims you will see ACTION.
If you look at some of the previous AC RECALLS they mention "in conjunction with the CPSC" that means that the CPSC has contacted them.

The CPSC allows manufacturers to do VOLENTARY RECALLS.... Because if the manufacturer did'nt do it this way the CPSC has the legal right to have any product completely removed from the marketplace. That means return your sled to the dealer for a FULL REFUND.

MAYBE.... The website addy for the Consumer Product Safety Commission should get PINNED HERE AND AT OTHER SLED WEBSITES..

Here's the most recent list of CPSC RECALLS. Take note of the ALARMING amount of SLED/ATV RECALLS.
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/category/sports.html

If you don't think a RECALL can put a manufacturer out of business...Guess again. This RECALL in 1981 is credited as what caused KAWASAKI to bail out of the snowmobile industry in 1982.
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml81/81003.html

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MELROSEMAFIA @ Jan 6 2007, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Here ya go
http://www.cpsc.gov/
Does'nt matter what country you live in, the sled is a manufactured product of the U.S.
Enough owners file the PROPER claims you will see ACTION.
If you look at some of the previous AC RECALLS they mention "in conjunction with the CPSC" that means that the CPSC has contacted them.

The CPSC allows manufacturers to do VOLENTARY RECALLS.... Because if the manufacturer did'nt do it this way the CPSC has the legal right to have any product completely removed from the marketplace. That means return your sled to the dealer for a FULL REFUND.

MAYBE.... The website addy for the Consumer Product Safety Commission should get PINNED HERE AND AT OTHER SLED WEBSITES..

Here's the most recent list of CPSC RECALLS. Take note of the ALARMING amount of SLED/ATV RECALLS.
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/category/sports.html

If you don't think a RECALL can put a manufacturer out of business...Guess again. This RECALL in 1981 is credited as what caused KAWASAKI to bail out of the snowmobile industry in 1982.
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml81/81003.html[/b]
I copy and pasted your info at hcs...i hope you don't mind? if you do, I'll edit it off. thanks.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Did you post your pictures over at HCS ???

If you didnt please do - Thanx Scott

Personally , i dont care how small the bends are , Arctic cat needs to step up

Honestly , after buying two of these as leftovers ( So far so good , and i am knocking on wood ) and only 350 miles so far this year
but man , this is a hot topic on HCS

Its obvious after seeing your pictures and all the others ARCTIC CAT WE HAVE A PROBLEM !!!!

I will not and either should anyone else , accept a bent tunnel on your Crossfire
from just normal trail riding - Hell even aggressive trail riding

These are Crossover machines correct - On and Off trail riding - Designed for both
Scott

·
Banned
488 Posts
I agree bee. I just finished reading the posts on HCS as well and i hope to hell it doesn't happen to mine. Although I'm seriously considering puttin some supports on just to be safe. I've got about 300 miles on mine now and so far so good......other than my oil running extremely rich. (3 sets of plugs on 4 tanks of gas and 1 gallon of oil already?!?) Another post i suppose.

Mael

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes...i did post it... I took one pic off as my vin was showing slightly.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hell I bought a S/P for a reason to jump it. I'm going to look at my sled, Does anyone have a source from Cat to get suppourts?
I'd rather have insurance than a bent tunnel. Is Krom Still making them(as I had read that on the other site).
Thanxs alot for the info.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bee1971 @ Jan 7 2007, 12:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Did you post your pictures over at HCS ???

If you didnt please do - Thanx Scott

Personally , i dont care how small the bends are , Arctic cat needs to step up

Honestly , after buying two of these as leftovers ( So far so good , and i am knocking on wood ) and only 350 miles so far this year
but man , this is a hot topic on HCS

Its obvious after seeing your pictures and all the others ARCTIC CAT WE HAVE A PROBLEM !!!!

I will not and either should anyone else , accept a bent tunnel on your Crossfire
from just normal trail riding - Hell even aggressive trail riding

These are Crossover machines correct - On and Off trail riding - Designed for both
Scott[/b]
talk to KROM OVER AT HCS you can buy supports for 100 bucks, he may cut you a deal for buying 2 sets

·
Read Only
0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dmurray914 @ Jan 7 2007, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hell I bought a S/P for a reason to jump it. I'm going to look at my sled, Does anyone have a source from Cat to get suppourts?
I'd rather have insurance than a bent tunnel. Is Krom Still making them(as I had read that on the other site).
Thanxs alot for the info.[/b]
yes, i tryed dropping him a pm and it is full, so try it, im sure he is, hes making money 100 bucks for a set

·
Registered
128 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ACBOY09 @ Jan 7 2007, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dmurray914 @ Jan 7 2007, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yes, i tryed dropping him a pm and it is full, so try it, im sure he is, hes making money 100 bucks for a set
[/b][/quote]

KROM's no where to be found and not responding to anyone pertaining to the tunnel supports. OLD CAT MAN at HCS is trying to put something together with building the tunnel supports. KROM was selling selling them for $80, not $100.

ACBOY: if your the same kid sticking his nose in these threads you were told over at HCS to either get your facts straight or stay out.

·
Registered
287 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
ACBOY: if your the same kid sticking his nose in these threads you were told over at HCS to either get your facts straight or stay out[/b]
I have to agree...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Personally if it happens to mine or if already has (have not seen my sled since seeing this post) that is why we all have insurance. It has aready paid to fix the front left side suspension and a new hood ($2200.00) from hitting a rock. But I am going to try a get a pair of supports if it has not aready happened. Also I was at a auction today and they had a 06 Xfire 7 that was a rental that had almost 4000 miles on it and no problems.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
appollo,

Insurance is an option, but here I'd still have to pay large deductible and my premiums would go up for next year....that is IF they would go for fixing it.... I know different locations have different types of insurance so its a better option in some places than others.

my tunnel is not bent enough for me to spend tons of money to get it fixed, and if it was fixed, i'd still have to add supports as it will happen again. All I am going to to is add supports to what I have, maybe hammer back the slight crease first. But I have seen a handful of other with rips in there tunnels, that is basically a sled that is no longer safe, and I wouldn't ride...in which case the insurance company might be a good avenue to get it fixed. All that is good and fine, the issue here is WHY are there several people reporting bent tunnels in the first place? I've never seen a bent tunnel before? I know how I rode for the first 700 miles, and I know whenever it happened it sure wasn't anything the other 4 guys I was riding with hasn't done, their tunnels are fine. (ski doo).

The major reason for my post wasn't to spread any negativity, it was to try and get a count of people that this is an issue with? is there only 10 guys and they all are on HCS AND AC that have the issue, or is there something fundamentally wrong with the suspension/tunnel on my model?

·
Registered
184 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (grizzrock_X7 @ Jan 7 2007, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
appollo,

Insurance is an option, but here I'd still have to pay large deductible and my premiums would go up for next year....that is IF they would go for fixing it.... I know different locations have different types of insurance so its a better option in some places than others.

my tunnel is not bent enough for me to spend tons of money to get it fixed, and if it was fixed, i'd still have to add supports as it will happen again. All I am going to to is add supports to what I have, maybe hammer back the slight crease first. But I have seen a handful of other with rips in there tunnels, that is basically a sled that is no longer safe, and I wouldn't ride...in which case the insurance company might be a good avenue to get it fixed. All that is good and fine, the issue here is WHY are there several people reporting bent tunnels in the first place? I've never seen a bent tunnel before? I know how I rode for the first 700 miles, and I know whenever it happened it sure wasn't anything the other 4 guys I was riding with hasn't done, their tunnels are fine. (ski doo).

The major reason for my post wasn't to spread any negativity, it was to try and get a count of people that this is an issue with? is there only 10 guys and they all are on HCS AND AC that have the issue, or is there something fundamentally wrong with the suspension/tunnel on my model?[/b]
I completly agree that if there is a problem with the sled then it should be taken care of by AC. I'm sure that they ( AC ) are saying that there is not a problem because of all the recent other recalls that they have had. Also they would have to look at buying back all these sled that are having this problem because I am sure that it would be cheaper then having tunnels repaced. I believe that that it take about 20 the 30 hours to replace a tunnel. I don't know the insurance rules in Canada but in Mn premiums don't go up with insurance claims on snowmobiles. I am also going to look into having a pair of tunnel supports made for me. I have read that some people would be interested in some that are a little longer then what others are making, if this is true let me know. I am going to talk to a friend about making these, and would like to know if longer ones would be in order.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Count me in on the tunnel bends. 06' XF7. I've posted in HCS as well. Some are installing Polaris tunnel braces. I'm fearful of riding any more miles until braces are installed. Let's get a group buy going. OLDMANCAT was also working on a custom-fit design. I too PM'ed KROM....no response.

If somebody can get me Auto Cad or SolidWorks files, I have resoures to get these made..............

Jack

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (A05GSHO @ Jan 7 2007, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ACBOY09 @ Jan 7 2007, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dmurray914 @ Jan 7 2007, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]

KROM's no where to be found and not responding to anyone pertaining to the tunnel supports. OLD CAT MAN at HCS is trying to put something together with building the tunnel supports. KROM was selling selling them for $80, not $100.

ACBOY: if your the same kid sticking his nose in these threads you were told over at HCS to either get your facts straight or stay out.
[/b][/quote]

Yes, I'm very close to cutting the first set today. Once they are cut we'll bend them and go test them at the dealer. When they work I'll let you know, my customer is ready to start cutting them ASAP, they are also sledders! So, they know your pain.

Do we have a lot of interest or has Krom taken care of most of you?

Frank

1 - 20 of 84 Posts