Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:thumbsup: how would you get more speed out of a M 1000. clutches, gearing or what? I would like to get my sled to climb really good, got out climbed by a 04' 900 159 he just has d&d y pipe, pipe, can. I have speedwerx intake, MBRP can. Seems like his speed is a little better up the hill. So whats the best way to make that M 1000 climb. More speed?

·
Registered
290 Posts
You will find the guy that outclimbed you has more track speed during the climb. What rpm are you pulling just before you have to turn out? What track speed do you have during the climb?

Other fcators are rider weight and experience. The M1000 has some pretty tall gears in it you may want to check out the Speedwerx or Goodwin folks for a recommendation on a better gear ratio. The stock one in the M1000 is 60/60 which is not really a good mountian set-up.

Have you made any changes to the primary or secondary clutch. If not I bet your lack of backshift is causing you to pull down the engine RPM and killing your track speed. Once again the folks at Goodwin have a good setup for the secondary to improve your backshift.

If you want to outclimb folks you will sacrifice your top-end speed when ripping across the lake. The 2004 900 that outclimbed you will run much slower than you on flat terrain, about 10 to 15 mph.

I notice you are a Saskatechewan boy. Did your dealer make and adjustments to the initial set-up to keep your rpm down when running at 1500 feet elevation?

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
the rkt secondary kit gives you about 5-6 mph track speed & better backshift also, which helps. I'd agree with alberta buffalo, check your r's on the climbs, weights make a huge difference on these & the M8's. Also, I'd think the 900 with y & pipe well setup should be making more horse than the stock M1k with a can, that pipe is going to add some power at peak r's.

do you

·
Registered
795 Posts
Once dialed in the M1000 is untouchable by any other stock sled.
Your first problem is the MBRP can is junk and kills the power.
But its the whole set up.
I refuse to just hand over all my tips to anyone that reads this so they can then use it to market " a kit" to sell at a huge price, when i spent the winter perfecting it.
But if you PM me with your email address I can help you out.
The info I will give you is free, but you are sworn to not tell anyone what it is.
I got royal screwed by one of them rip off artist kit makers, and sure as hell do not want the info getting back to him, so he could maybe for once sell a kit that works, and gain a good rep on my work.
If you doubt how well I have the M1000 working, I ride with most of the members of the RMTA crew, and the mackenzie snow mobile club, just call and ask them.
I consistently have the high marks week after week against anything short of a full on mod sled, with huge shots of NOS or something.
Paul that was always for years the guy to beat, is cursing my cat this winter ....lol :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have 2 buddy's with M1000's with SLP singles and Sledjunky clutch kits. They turn 56 and 57 MPH track speed in the steep and deep at 8-9500K ft. A 900 won't come close.
[attachment=68080:M1000_Cl..._Kit_003.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry I was away for awhile all that info is really good. First I think my track speed was around 45 mph when I turned out I didn't look at my rpms but it was wound right out. I actually have my sled in the shop right now waiting for a new gear case mine f***ed up. So I talked with the owner that has the same sled, he said that he changed the clutch weights, helix, spring, and put some side vents on and said it really made it a different sled. So I'm going to try it out if I can make it to the mountains and see how it works. I know the MBRP can dosen't give it anything but bark, but I like the sound. I haven't found a pipe can set up that I like for sound. mcflying I would really aprecate that if you could email me at [email protected] with some info. I'd love to show the 900 up, and put the ski-doos even further down the hill. :moon: Thanks for all the info, its greatly apprecated. :site:

·
Registered
197 Posts
I put in a M7 helix spring end cap and adjuster nut gained 5-7 mph climbing accelerates faster and clutches are cool no more belt dust just woke the sled up . Get the clutching right before you mod anything.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mountain guy where did you buy the spring end cup adjuster nut from & how much. Do you think it would work on the M 1000. :bleedgreen

·
Registered
795 Posts
Today my M1000 was getting about 106 -107 kms/hr of track speed while climbing at 6,000 feet....stock motor internals, and stock pipe...a few bolt on goodies, and my own airbox modification, and clutched by me.

·
Registered
795 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mountain guy @ Apr 8 2007, 06:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I put in a M7 helix spring end cap and adjuster nut gained 5-7 mph climbing accelerates faster and clutches are cool no more belt dust just woke the sled up . Get the clutching right before you mod anything.[/b]
What helix are you running?
The helix on my M1000 has no provision to screw in the M7 adjuster, but also mine is not the stock helix any more.

And if you plan to do motor mods, may as well do them first, or else you have to reclutch anyways to the new power and desired rpm if the mods moved the power band....just my 2 cents is all.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I should have chose better wording. I bought the M7 helix and spring and end capand adjuster nut for 230.00 or so i cant remember the exact cost. Sandman i did install it on a M1000. But i would forget that and be talking nice to MCflying seams to me he has far superior setup and may be willing to share some of his secrets.I know if i figure out how to contact him i will be going that route.

·
Registered
795 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mountain guy @ Apr 9 2007, 07:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I should have chose better wording. I bought the M7 helix and spring and end capand adjuster nut for 230.00 or so i cant remember the exact cost. Sandman i did install it on a M1000. But i would forget that and be talking nice to MCflying seams to me he has far superior setup and may be willing to share some of his secrets.I know if i figure out how to contact him i will be going that route.[/b]
What angle is the helix you installed?
Here is a teaser of my clutching, I made my own hard rollers, but the sledjunky hard rollers are good ones to use to.
Made a spacer to add more pressure inside my helix.
changed helix to a 44/40.
But the airbox mods made the biggest difference.
And the underhood helmet cam footage showed why...i posted on that before to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts