Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellas

Stators or should I say "broken stators" are one of the things that most commonly break down on the Cat´s. I´ve even had a parts dealer state that his stock on Cat stators is usually down to non-existent and that has kept him from riding Cat´s. I must admit that I´ve had problem´s with those in the past, anybody have a comment on that?

And please comment on REWOUND STATORS all those that have any experience, guys??

Best Regards
ARISTOCAT

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Guys

I´m sure a lot more of you have had your stators rewound. Let´s hear about it, pros and cons.

Best
ARISTOCAT

·
Registered
334 Posts
Have had them go both ways Had some rewinds that were junk
& have had some good 1s new are just to pricy have had good luck with used
off EBay & found the cover mod listed in forum really works

·
Registered
146 Posts
I just had mine rewound. It cost me $166 (including S&H) and a 1 year warranty. This was the first one that I have ever had go bad. I've never owned anything other than cats.

I have been reading about ways to try to get them to last longer. I might have to experiment.

I will say that the $166 is cheaper than the $600 for the new one. The way that I see it, it will be eight years (minimum) before I have invested the same amount of $ into rebuilds as I would in a new one. I would like to be upgrading sleds in less years than that.

·
Registered
780 Posts
There is a cover mod where you add washers between the flywheel cover and engine block to allow for a gap for cold air to flow around the stator. Additionally, folks drill the cover full of holes, like swiss cheese, to promote additional air flow around the stator. I did see some pics on one of these threads but don't recall which one.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys thanks thanks thanks

I mean it, this website ROCKS and that´s not even news anymore!!!

I´ve outdone 2 stators(I have a few triples) and as we speak I´m getting a hold of my drilling machine!

BEST BEST BEST of snowwishes to you guys

ARISTOCAT

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have 1300 miles on a rewound stator from stator corp from Mass. I have had no problem at all with yet but i also did the venting holes too...................

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
are these stators from stator corp actually stronger than stock output or the same??? I wouldnt mind a little more juice to handle all the excessories and gadgets that accumulates with keeping me warm and seeing better....

BM...

·
Registered
49 Posts
stator corp did mine a cpl yrs ago. i don't think i got 1000 miles on it with the little snow we've had since then. tested mine yesterday, as the sled has no spark again. showed 0 ohms. took it apart, and 2 of the coils that were replaced look cooked to me. My question is, why, does cat not do something besides charge $600. when they know they have a problem with these stators. They left us hang out to dry and get towed out of the woods at any given moment.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had Stator Corp. rebuild mine off of a 98 zr 500. The only gripe I had was that when they sent back the rebuilt one their packaging didn't hold up. So, when we installed it we had to take it back out and send her back to Mass. bang your head When it did finally come back it worked but all my snow was gone. :angry: The good news is that it only cost me 125 compared to 500 for a brand new one or 250 for a used. Definately drill the holes. I haven't spaced out the housing with washers yet. I think I will. I do have 1500 miles on the rebuilt stator with no issues. I better go find some wood to KNOCK on.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I know you really wanted to hear about REWOUND stators, but I thought I would put in my 2 cents.
I had mine REBUILT by RMStator. It cost me $136 total w/1 yr. warranty. This company actually removes the bad coils and replaces them with new (Cat should make these parts available!).). I have about 250 miles on mine now and it is running good.
RMStator was fast and easy to deal with.

·
Registered
141 Posts
has anyone ever tried the rebuild kit from RMStator??

1 - 20 of 27 Posts