Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out with a buddy of mine and racked up a couple hundred more miles.

First I want to say I absolutely love my sled. I love how it handles, how it fits me personally, I have never felt so comfortable with a new sled like this one. Even when I had to load it this morning to head home, I wanted to turn a way from the trailer and just keep going on down the trail!

I have had no trouble with this sled. No panels melting,no handle bar moving,no arms breaking, no hoods popping open, no lights going out, etc. nothing.

I rode in allot of differing conditions Which has lead me to some conclusions
I found that after replacing the stock carbides with woody 8" singles made all the difference in handling

I wished I had gotten the sno pro, but I wanted electric start, so I will probably upgrade to the sno pro shocks(as this and the windshield are the only difference between the lxr and sno pro).
I want to do this because I found myself bottoming the front end allot in heavy stutters(tried to crank up the front springs but that caused ski lift) I also seem to bottom the center shock too. Any ideas other than a full sno pro replacement are more than welcome.

My buddy was riding a bone stock 04 f7 sno pro with an 1.375 track and 192 picks(he was not bottoming with the sno pro)
He is 10 years my Junior, and I'll tell you what I roasted him in the trails with this machine. And the best one is, guess who was exhausted after 10 hours of hard riding?????NOT ME he was in bed early all sore. I must admit I was a little sore but like I said 10 years my Junior.

We did a couple of longer lake runs on hard packed snow. He would kill me out of the hole with that 1.375 "tractor" track but once up to about 80 I would walk him like nothing and keep on pulling him.

I was consistently reading 115 on my dial speedo @7200-7340 rpms not sure how accurate that is but its what I saw
If we would roll up at 40-50mph I would take right off on the f7. And like my buddy said at one point he look down at 95 on his sled and he said I went by like he was on blocks.

I found in the down low twistes that the sled sounded way fat, but good and crispy in the middle.

I think I would consider a clutch kit for a little more low end snap and faster back shift.(just up in the air on who's kits going to work the best).

Now as far as any sort of storage. Come on cat! You mark my words some after market company's going to rip that whole rear pod off and put a decent rack type storage thing back there!

Anyway I am for one very happy with my purchase.

·
Registered
76 Posts
excellent write up and seems honest, its glad to see someone happy with these things! i just got my bullseyes,y pipe and BD box on and am headed north come the am, hopefully this thing will start to get up there.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Pete, nice write up.
Mine too is a little fat on the bottom but nice and crisp mid to top end.
I am not a fan of this new compression spring, I miss the back shift offered by the torison spring.
My dad, his buddy, and one of the owners at the Cat dealer here (f1000) bought that OVS clutch kit from Dakota Performance that is supposed to really help the back shift and top end.
It takes some dialing in but my dad is real happy with how it worked on his CF 800.
I haven't bought one yet, let them be the guinea pigs but sounds like it might be the way to go.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking if I opened up the airbox alittle say: bulls eyes or slp, if that would clean up the low end some? And a decent clutch kit.
Any cat masters out there? Would an airbox mod effect the warranty at all. Would it compromise the motor at all. Sounds funny but I can all most hear the air restriction on the low end.

And then maybe get a little poll going as to who makes the most gains with there clutch kit(I've had junk ones before from the big boys)

What do you guys think?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts