Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out over the weekend and was noticing that when I punch it from about 25mph it immediatly jumps to 8500rpm and holds there until you hit about 90 and then will slowly creep up to about 9000 to 9100rpms around 100mph. I'm in the process of getting the d&d pipe and chip kit combo 6 and I was wondering if anybody knew of a good clutch configuration to go with it. I was reading another post and somebody mentioned that the power ban is anywhere from 8300 to 8700rpm. does anybody know how to get the right numbers out of this?

·
Registered
215 Posts
once you add the d&d pipe you want peak rpms to climb to 8200 rpms and stay there.
good set up is cat orange/white primary spring, polaris 10-54g weights, red/white secondary & 58/52 helix.

you're over reving now, with the stock pipe you want peak rpms at 8500.

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
edsled is very knowledgable on clutching and everything I read would never put that motor at 9100RPM

<BARGE> edsled, just wanted to let you know that the D&D kit I put on my 500 is FANTASTIC. It's like a completely different sled AND my gas milage is much better. 11.8mpg on a 63 mile ride saturday. I got slightly better than my buddy's 02' power valved 500 XC Sp.
<END OF BARGE>

·
Registered
175 Posts
I thought the single pipe peaked at 8400? Your at 8500 all the way and then you run out of gear is what it sounds like to me . Is that EFI?All I would do right now is take a jiffy marker and put some marks on the drive clutch at the top of the sheaves and make sure the cluches are shifting all the way into overdrive.

·
Registered
215 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (threejugsnotweird @ Jan 24 2007, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I thought the single pipe peaked at 8400? Your at 8500 all the way and then you run out of gear is what it sounds like to me . Is that EFI?All I would do right now is take a jiffy marker and put some marks on the drive clutch at the top of the sheaves and make sure the cluches are shifting all the way into overdrive.[/b]
the blackmagic single runs at 8400. d&d's single runs at 8200. good idea to make sure clutch is shifting all the way out, sounds like it might be time for a rebuild anyway.

·
Registered
165 Posts
9100rpm's is a good way to blow apart your pistons on that 600. They break piston skirts enough running at normal rpm levels with more than 5000 miles. It is probably due to something binding in your clutch. Most likely a primary weight bushing is shot - take off both clutches and inspect / clean / rebuild if necessary.

If your clutching is stock, the 49 deg secondary helix is worthless and would cause over-rev in the mid range on its own.

D&D single pipe and chip runs fine anywhere from 8100-8500rpm. I had my best speed on the lake running at 8500rpm but it does pull better in the mid range at 8200-8300.

The D&D clutch kit for the pipe and chip = DD6 60/48 helix, HPE red secondary spring, Poo 10-54 weights, and HPE orange-green spring. BUT they may now be using their own springs - this was their kit back in 1999. Run it at 8100-8300 so they say - but on a hot pipe 8500 is fine.

·
Administrator
7,989 Posts
My 99 ZL 600 efi( same as the ZR enigine) called for 8500 to 8700 stock. Mine ran at 8500 and it was a great runner with a Black magic clutch kit, no other mods. Do what edsled said, he seems to know these 600's pretty well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts