Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks back I was bitching because a buddy took my bike out and cracked my rear fenders and knocked out 1 front headlight. I guess he tought my bike a thing or 2. Late Sat night another buddy and I when out for a ride, it was around 10deg. out . I was just cruising along when a rut sucked me to the right and into some tree branches. It put a 6" hole in the front fender above my right knee where the saftey stickers are and then blew out both light bulbs on the right side. In two weeks it went from mint cond. to $hit ! I was (am) so pissed I want to return the new rear fenders and call it a beater. To get me by for now I bought a rubber floor mat and trimed it to fit both left and right sides of the fenders and self tapper screwed them to the fenders. It looks ok for now. Then while looking on line for front fenders my stupid 70lbs hound dog got scared of the vacume and jumped onto me and my 1 month old laptop computer and ripped half of the keys off. Its been a few good days. Sorry for rambling on here, just venting badcomputer bang your head :bang:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Look for someone in your area that can weld plastic ..seriously, that is what it is called... the ability to weld/melt polypropylene or polyethylene, whichever your bike is made of, back together. Below is what I guy in my area did for me :) before and after, certainly cheaper then buying replacement fenders, that cost me $40 ..... stitches were free ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris500 @ Jan 22 2007, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i had that happen to my atv and got a plastic weld i douno how good it is how long go did you have this done[/b]

The guy that did it guarantees that you won't break it in the same place .. he says if you hit the same spot you may create a new break but his welds won't be the first thing that lets go .... it was done 6 weeks ago.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The crack in the rear looks just like the one above. I drilled and zip tied it and got new ones all ready, just not on yet. The front ones kind of exploded and broke into many pieces. I'll have to look into the plastic welding. Here are some shots of the hillbilly fix.

[attachment=61595:foot_pads.JPG][attachment=61596:inside.JPG]

[attachment=61597:lft_side.JPG][attachment=61598:rt_side.JPG]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VT ArcticCat @ Jan 22 2007, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Here are some shots of the hillbilly fix.[/b]
I think that looks pretty good to be honest with you. When my rear fender was cracked I had to get a new one too!

I thought it was a SHANE MOD for the new body style at first glance.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I think it look realy good also.
So what is that stuff you put over
them there cracks anyway?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On mine I bought a $8 floor mat from the local auto store then cut to fit.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Cheap and good. Nice job

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Looks pretty good. High speed Shane Mod.
JD

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the compliments, makes me feel a little better. I was kind of anal about my quad since it was the first new thing I bought.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Definatly not bad looking foot rests, I have been catching myself putting my feet up there with them only slipping off. I could make that riding position work on my old bike. I just upgraded from a bayou 220 on december 29th to a new H1 and have not looked back since. At two weeks in I was at crosby and got a crack about as deep JandJsTA's in the same spot but just a straight line in. Guess I am still getting used to a bike that is big enough for me. I was at the top of a small hill that you have to go around trees at the top of I dont know what to call that terrain; i was in 2wd and a little to much gas later my rear end spun and slid down into a tree. VT at least your cat was over a month old. But the funny thing is someone was telling me about plastic welding right after, I definatly have to look into that now.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Why not glue it on instead of bolts?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There was a big piece missing, many many cracks, 10 deg. out. Plus I was pissed off and was planning on just ordering new front fenders since I just got the new rears delivered the day before. Nothing like pissing money away !

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dealer wanted $220 + tax, I found them online at Babbits they were OEM for $155+ $15 for shipping. They want $173 + shipping for the fronts. Not sure if I'm going to get them yet. I realy wanted tires not new plastics.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ok thats not too bad. Plastic was not the first thing I planned on nbuying either. Time to google some plasitc welding info for now and learn the machine's size in tight places as I hope that will be the last of that.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Mine are shattered also in the right rear. I frankensteined it with zip ties. Its the second time it has been cracked. Pisses me off because of how bad it looks.

Do you have a website for babbits?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 22 Posts