Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the mixture screw on the carb's mainly for adjusting leaner/richer at idle? or does it affect the entire throttle range? Here is my story in detail...

I had my 93' 580 Z idleing and running like a champ a few month's ago, but now since before my first ride I can't get the thing to idle and I have a nasty bog below 2500 rpm, after that it'll shoot off like a rocket. I've done everything I can think of:

New 38mm carbs with new needles, needle seats, inlet valve assembly, main jet 340, pilot jet 35. every orfice in the carb is clean and clear, floats leveled, idle was set fine (1800/2000) rpm, sync'ed the carbs, choke adjusted & clean and are not sticking, mixture screw is 1 1/2 turns out and been moving + - 1/4 turns with no change, new fuel lines & filter, rebuilt fuel pump (plenty of fuel flow to the carbs) fresh gas (even added some heat to the gas) new BR9ES plugs. I sprayed carb cleaner on the crank end's and around the carb boot's to ensure that I was not sucking air in anywhere and that is all good. Compression is an even 120lbs on both cylinders.

Here is how my sled is acting: I start up and let it warm up (having to flip the choke on/off while warming up) It get's up to temp and while feathering the gas I get "woomp" air sucking sound (sounds like bog to me) as it try's to build RPM's when it reaches 2500 rpm's it will rev right up and kick the clutch in.

Does this sound like it's to rich or to lean at idle to rev up? Also the sled does not start hard at all, 2-3 pulls at any temp and it will take right off.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Double check your pilot jets again....That's a classic symtom of having crap stuck in there! They may have been clean when you did your carbs, but all it takes is a piece of crud as small as .020" and it will put a motor on it's knees. I use cutting torch tip cleaners to clean them out and it has worked verry well for me! Keep us posted...-Craig :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I gave the carb's a good cleaning and so far it's working great, I won't know if it will actually do any good untill tomorrow when I take the sled out for a run.... But it seems it runs better in a heated garage than it does outside, but again I won't know till tomorrow as we are gonna get hit with another :sno: storm :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I found my problem! The carbs I used were off a 93 Thunder cat tripple, I replaced ALL the internal parts with the part's I needed for mine except the carb slide's which I could have sworn I double checked and they were the same between the 2, Nope.... the T-cat had 3.5 slides and my sled need's 3.0 slides. Looks like I go back out to the garage and swap my old slides back in and see what happens :super_happy:

Also I stopped by the dealer and asked them if they could find out which clip position on the needle I needed to be at and I am one off on that as well. 3rd groove down is what the part's man said and I have it in the 4th goove down (that's the way it was when I got the sled) I hope this ends my problem for good lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts