Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered a 2014 XF cross tour yamaha 4stroke with 141 track and cobra 1.35 lugs. I believe it comes with fatter skis then normal

If I wanted to go to the mountains to ride once in a while can I do it? Never done it before.

I know i couldn't do any real steep stuff without bigger lugs.

Just want to know what my limitations are?

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Ive ridden in the mountains of Alaska with a 128" 2003 F7 snopro with the same lug height, and it can be a chore with a sled setup like mine used to be, but it can be done. Yours is more well equipped for the job I think. You should be fine for the occasional ride, but do be warned in the steep and deep, your throttle is your friend. park in a track when you stop if its deep. track length is good. :)

·
Super Moderator
8,545 Posts
Ordered a 2014 XF cross tour yamaha 4stroke with 141 track and cobra 1.35 lugs. I believe it comes with fatter skis then normal

If I wanted to go to the mountains to ride once in a while can I do it? Never done it before.

I know i couldn't do any real steep stuff without bigger lugs.

Just want to know what my limitations are?

big thing you will have to do is clutch it for the elevation you are riding at. Other than that the limitations will be your riding ability not the sled. A hardcore mountain sled will not help you much until you learn the basics of mountain riding.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mountain riding

The short track N/A 4 stroke is going to be a PITA in the mountains. You have a combination that is equal to a MY 2000 700 crossover snowmobile power wise, with at least a 100 lb weight penalty. Spring riding will allow you to get around, but Nov-January will give you LOTS of practice with your shovel, and you will lose friends fast helping you pull that sled out. I strongly suggest renting a sled for mountain trips, you will be far happier.
Can it be done? Yes, but you will be poaching tracks everywhere to get around. I ride an M1100T that I love dearly, but I would consider a XF High Country a decent mountain sled, but only in a turboed 4S or 800 2S. With a shorter track, you need trackspeed to keep you going in the deep.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
What if I bought a extra track. Like 1.75 or 2" if that would work.

Not sure if that would mess with the clutching to much
You should clutch it at minimum. I went out the Bighorn's with my old F8 EXT and all I did was clutch it. I wasn't doing anything crazy though as I only had the 1.352 track on it. Wish I would have had a taller lug track but the expense to put one on the EXT was ridiculous. So I bought a XF800 Sno Pro last year. Your Crosstour is the same chassis. At minimum I would change the clutching and put a 2 or 2.25 inch track on it. And if you have the money you could change the gearing as well. Clutching will cost you around $200, track will cost you anywhere from $400 up to $1000 depending on if you find a deal or used or just buy one from the dealer. If you plan on keeping yoursled then I would spend the money, if you trade every couple years then just rent.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Fwiw

I used to ride short track sleds in the mountains - hell, my 79 Blizzard had no lug height or length, and we got around - just not to the places where we can now. I was just providing an OPINION based on experience - you can make it work even in stock form, but you will enjoy a mountain specific sled far more, especially if it is early winter, or if the snow conditions are deep. Once you've swapped a track on a Procross or Proclimb chassis, you really won't want to do it repeatedly - not nearly as easy as the old Crossfires or M-chassis sleds. Try it out, you are the only one who can decide if you can ride effectively in the mountains on a N/A short track 4S...

·
Registered
25 Posts
It sure is...

It is VERY expensive to rent, but frankly, your time is worth something. Expect 5 hrs to R&R a track with gearing & clutching changes. However, it can be done, no doubt about it. What you need to ask yourself is do you want to change track, drivers, gearing, and clutching for a vacation to Revy, then turn around and put it back to stock when you get home? Example: I have a friend from Hafford, Sk that runs a summit for mountain trips, and uses his Renegade when at home - and this is a sled that is easily 100 lbs lighter then a four stroke. I choose to NOT ride locally or on trails, unless it's enroute to the alpine. You can do whatever you like, but the better choice is to rent or purchase a 3-4 yr old mtn sled (2 stroke, as it is significantly lighter) for mountain trips, regardless of cost. Your back will thank you for it.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is VERY expensive to rent, but frankly, your time is worth something. Expect 5 hrs to R&R a track with gearing & clutching changes. However, it can be done, no doubt about it. What you need to ask yourself is do you want to change track, drivers, gearing, and clutching for a vacation to Revy, then turn around and put it back to stock when you get home? Example: I have a friend from Hafford, Sk that runs a summit for mountain trips, and uses his Renegade when at home - and this is a sled that is easily 100 lbs lighter then a four stroke. I choose to NOT ride locally or on trails, unless it's enroute to the alpine. You can do whatever you like, but the better choice is to rent or purchase a 3-4 yr old mtn sled (2 stroke, as it is significantly lighter) for mountain trips, regardless of cost. Your back will thank you for it.
Hafford, Sk is close to me

sounds like renting is a better idea...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.