Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many miles per day have you guys ever put on trail riding? We are planning a big trip which may take us about 150 miles and wondering how realistic this is in 5-6 hours?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,867 Posts
How many miles per day have you guys ever put on trail riding? We are planning a big trip which may take us about 150 miles and wondering how realistic this is in 5-6 hours?
Difficult to answer without knowing the trail. and impossible considering what could go wrong, Stuck? Breakdown? I've been on trails that take all day to cover 3 miles and I've also been on trails where we averaged 30 miles per hour or more. For the most part trails in the Rockies a person can probably average 5-15 miles per hour. A person could cover anywhere from 25 to 30 up to 75 to 90 miles in a 5 or 6 hour time frame. If you would check your odometer and hour meter you'd probably see that your average distance per hour is around 10 miles per hour + or - a mile or two. For instance my Tcat shows a total of 2610 on the odometer and 247 hours on the hour meter. Total milles divided by total hours will display your average. I average 10.56 miles per hour for all the riding I've done everywhere since I've owned this machine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe this is 80% rail road bed and the other 20% in the woods in WI. I don't see an issue with getting stuck, and we will have a follower person with truck and trailer for any breakdowns.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,867 Posts
I believe this is 80% rail road bed and the other 20% in the woods in WI. I don't see an issue with getting stuck, and we will have a follower person with truck and trailer for any breakdowns.
On a Tcat, could cover the 80% in just a little over an hour and a half, and another hour or so for that last 20%. Not including the time to refill the gas tank, lunch and beer stops or if the forest ranger pulls you over and tickets you for exceeding the speed limit on their roads. A Tcat is a gas hog at full throttle and would drink 6.5 gallons in about 50-60 miles.

Trail conditions and weather are the major factors to consider on how much time it will take. A group of us covered well over 300 miles point A to point B in about 5-7 days total riding time with lots of side trips, camping out as we went. for 10 days total time. I was carrying close to 20 gallons of extra gasoline and still had to refuel at one of the mountain lodges once.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,547 Posts
I think that is ambitious to cover that much ground in 5-6 hours. That doesn't give you much time to stop for gas, food drinks, stretch etc. Could you do it, probably but I would plan on 7-8 hours. I was just in WI riding and between the twists hill jumps and dust averaging 20mph would be hard, real hard.

Sounds like a good time, post some pics when your done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
89miles in a day is the most Ive ever done in a day and that was ridding pretty steady on these mountain trails around here I think trail conditions would be a big factor but I dont see doing 150 miles in 5 or 6 hours I guess you could on a good trails or roads personally I couldnt handle ridding that hard my hind end felt like it had been beat with a meat clever after i was done
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,443 Posts
my oldest son and i rode 125 miles on a day
all in the up with trail crossings logging truck and food stops
it was 4 gas stops

it was a 10 hour day
we rode as fast as possible when conditions allowed it
blaster with 6 gear and kfx 700
lots of stop signs on the trail
waiting for car truck and traffic
no break downs
on the trail tech i average 35mph so you can see how all the stop signs and refeuling slow down the ride
it should have taken no more than 4 hours
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
551 Posts
The most I've ever done was 125, pretty fast riding, lots of breaks, food and gas stops, etc, no breakdowns.
In WI this last weekend was a 90 mile day, lots of breaks, food and gas stops, and 1 breakdown that we didn't end up fixing but only delayed the group 1/2 hour. We weren't on a scheduled time that we needed to complete so all day was pretty low key. 7 or 8 hours to do the 90 and that included stops.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
551 Posts
Oh yeah...I was with FirecatV2 on that ride and Gympii.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll let you know how it goes, by road it is only 100 miles, so I tacked on the extra 50 knowing full well the trails/railroad/road routes aren't nearly as straight as what google says it is driving with a car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,023 Posts
depends on where u go bfr 100 is easy we did 125 with gymppi at a real rough spot but then again we were haul in the mail left at 9 back before sun went downwore out
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
I've rode 100 to 150 mile runs on both snowmobiles and ATV's. I don't think I've ever broke 10 hours on a ride like that. I had an ATV ride last summer that was 80 miles and took 5 hours on very flat trails. Length of time was due to a couple of stops and we got lost in one section of the trail and took about an hour to locate the trail we needed. Mostly, I think we were on the right trail, but my wife did not want to drive over and around logs on a very old trail that would have only been about a mile across.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok. Back from our trip. Had one belt blow on the way up but made it 10 miles from our destination in less than 4 hours. Ended up only being 100 miles up there though so averaged just over 25 mph. Mostly railroad bed and atv routes. Road home this morning. No issues at all and made it in about 4 hours.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
613 Posts
Just returned from the Paiute system of trails in Utah. The trail is
pretty much a narrow 2 wheel drive Mountain road with lots of rocks. It is
hard to maintain 30 Miles per hour for a long distance and at the
108 mile mark for the day I was definitely ready for a Margarita.The
total day away from the toy haulers was about 7 hours, so you can
see that we rode about 4 hours and had lunch, breaks and gas refill
the other 3. So I guess it depends on how tough you guys are, 150
miles on anything but a bladed gravel road is too much for my
group in 1 day.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
899 Posts
For a couple of years i did a ride called the Iron Butt. They don't do it anymore. That ride was 300 miles in a day. We would leave around 8am and get back around midnight. Nothing real serious on the trails we took to deal with. There was usually around 20 of us. Didn't tend to have too many on trail machine issues, everybody did a good pre trip. Talk about feeling like you had been beat up. Would take a couple of days to recover.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Our club here in Utah is going to do a iron but ride in august on the piute trail 150 mi. per day for 2 days it will be an out and back ride with a motel stop for the night. We did one last year 119 mi. the first day 93 the second day.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top